B/L-4520B Backhoe

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
So we made a family road trip yesterday evening and picked up a B/L-4520B Backhoe "Made for Kubota Tractor Co." Woods kindly sent me a manual for the BH650/750 and the 650 is definitely what it is, in orange paint. It was kindly loaded into my pickup with a L4240 but my L245DT isn't big enough to lift it out, so today after work I may have call on the neighboring farmer for some help in unloading it before I get to put it to work. Hope to get some pictures too, so updates to follow.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Here's my L245DT with the backhoe attached. It did not come with a rigid toplink or stops so it isn't ready to use.

I'm looking at bolting some supports to the FEL subframe to supplement the 3 point hitch and engage the bottom of the BH. For upper support, I was thinking I could use large U-bolts to create points on the rear axle that would replace the toplink.

The rough concept would be a notched bracket off of the FEL subframe that would pin on to support the BH, and the 3 pt hitch would still be used to lift the BH onto the hooked bracket, and then two bars branching out from the BH toplink point to hard points on either side below the seat. This 4 point system would negate the toplink and eliminate stresses on the lower 3pt hitch arms.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Grizgrin

Equipment
L245, B6100E
Nov 28, 2016
Possum Kingdom, SC
Do you have pics of just the subframe? I am trying to find one. Also, is that somehting that is bought for the L245, the FEL, or the backhoe? I am looking at various options, but this would help a lot. Thank you.

Here's my L245DT with the backhoe attached. It did not come with a rigid toplink or stops so it isn't ready to use.

I'm looking at bolting some supports to the FEL subframe to supplement the 3 point hitch and engage the bottom of the BH. For upper support, I was thinking I could use large U-bolts to create points on the rear axle that would replace the toplink.

The rough concept would be a notched bracket off of the FEL subframe that would pin on to support the BH, and the 3 pt hitch would still be used to lift the BH onto the hooked bracket, and then two bars branching out from the BH toplink point to hard points on either side below the seat. This 4 point system would negate the toplink and eliminate stresses on the lower 3pt hitch arms.

Any thoughts?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
For now I have put braces on but it isn't a subframe. I have some more work to do on the backhoe, and then I'll look at the subframe idea further.

Attachments

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Almost forgot - I cut of the nubs of the welded teeth and installed some new bolt on Kubota teeth from the 4690 model. I know they look off in this picture - I was halfway through the job and still had to drill the second row of holes and it was sorted out then.

Attachments

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
And a pic of the bolt on thumb. It required 2X 1/8" shims. You can just see the edges of the shims - they are cut to the same shape as the thumb bracket +1/4" and drilled to line up with the bracket mounting holes. I will weld on the plates and the thumb can then be easily (with some help from a hammer) installed or uninstalled and bolted on.

Attachments