Bush hog?

Alderman

Mar 10, 2019
Just getting a BX 1870 and want to do some light brush cutting with it in uneven hilly property.
Am I supposed to run it with the rear wheel on the ground?
Also how do I adjust the top link properly? Should the top link be a little loose with the wheel on the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Depends on what type of linkage the chopper has, floating or rigid as to how you set it up but, the chopper needs to set level when on the ground and yes, the tailwheel needs to be in contact with the ground as well. What it's for.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can actually just leave the top link very loose so the mower is able to follow the contours.
My mower has an extra joint that allows for a lot of slack in the top link

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Again, all depends on the linkage. Some choppers have floating linkage some don't. My 96" wide Landpride I bought last fall has a floating linkage. One needs to consult the owners manual as to type of linkage and follow the instruction. Cut height is always set with the tailwheel (s) and the deck needs to ride level when cutting.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I have a Bush Hog brand 5 ft and after all the adjustments are made they suggest you adjust the top link so when you raise the 3 pt lift the mower raises about 2 1/2 inches off the ground before the wheel leaves the ground. This keeps the wheel in contact with uneven ground when mowing. This keeps my top link rigid even though it has a floating tip. I suggest you get a manual for the mower as different brands have setup adjustments. All the adjustments should be done on a level surface. Would be great if you have a concrete floor in the garage. Good luck.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I understand that you are actually supposed to have the mower with a slight slant. The end closer to the tractor should be an inch or so lower than the rear wheel end....this keeps things moving out the back end of the mower.

Again defer to your instruction manual.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I always just used a chain for the top link. That lets the mower follow the ground and not bind on the top. I tighten the chain if I want to pick it up off the back wheel. And my manual for the mower said to run the front about an inch lower than the rear of the deck, but I always have mine tilted the opposite way. It keeps the mower from scraping the ground better. Cuts fine that way too.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
The mower should be one inch lower in the front , Reason being it only cuts the grass or brush once. If you have the deck level it will sort of mulch by cutting the grass twice but also puts a little more strain on the tractor. Best way is go nice and slow and if the brush is not to high you will get a nice cut.
Last year we had a lot of rain and the grass on my lawn grew fast and couldn't get the chance to mow and was to tall for the riding mower. Finally I had a chance to mow used the brush hog and I was amazed at how nice it cut. If your machine is adjusted properly and take your time it will do a good job.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The mower should be one inch lower in the front , Reason being it only cuts the grass or brush once. If you have the deck level it will sort of mulch by cutting the grass twice but also puts a little more strain on the tractor. Best way is go nice and slow and if the brush is not to high you will get a nice cut.

I have recently seen the manufacturers start to change this in the instruction manual (Rhino). They are stating that this is still the most economical and fast method to mow since it cuts less and ejects the materials faster. But they stated that by setting the front end higher (only by an inch) than the rear it will shred the grass more by making two or more cuts. You will have to go slower and use more fuel due to more power usage (more cuts and materials stay in mower longer).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk