Is a cab a wise purchase

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Bought my 91" late last Summer and restoration work came to a halt when the weather turned cold. I believe I have most of the parts ready now.

I bought a 59" Caroni back in '92 when we got the little Ford tractor and it still lives. That's a major reason for getting the big one to fix up. AgriSupply has been great to deal with over the years.

Last edited:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Hello,

I have 26 wooded acres in Wisconsin, 3/4 mile gravel drive. Looking at 3301 for trail cutting, moving brush, putting up firewood and deep snow removal. The dealer suggested I not get a cab because I'd probably beat and scratch the #×@& out of it. I really want a cab, but I think he's right.

Let me know if you agree with the dealer.

Thanks

Mike H
The dealer sounds like a good place to do business with. Zero upselling.

The next step up with a cab would be the L3560. Have you priced them vs. the L3301?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I had open station on my past 4 Kubota's and then 5 yrs. ago I bought my L3560 HSTC and LOVE the cab. I have 5 acres of woods I am always in and on a lot of hills as well and yes, it has been hit by branches that would have done some damage to my body but just made a loud noise on the cab. As for breaking off the door, just remember to close it every time you get in or out of the cab. Keeping warm in winter and cool in summer and NO BUGS! makes it all worth while for me. I'd never go back to open station again.

Attachments

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
I had open station on my past 4 Kubota's and then 5 yrs. ago I bought my L3560 HSTC and LOVE the cab. I have 5 acres of woods I am always in and on a lot of hills as well and yes, it has been hit by branches that would have done some damage to my body but just made a loud noise on the cab. As for breaking off the door, just remember to close it every time you get in or out of the cab. Keeping warm in winter and cool in summer and NO BUGS! makes it all worth while for me. I'd never go back to open station again.
What is all that white stuff in your pictures?
82F here today in S.E. Texas....:)

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
What is all that white stuff in your pictures?
82F here today in S.E. Texas....:)
North of me they call it 'white gold' but I call it a PIA! It just hit 45* here today and this stuff is disappearing quickly. Can't wait to see the ground again. I wish I was in Texas, spent lots of time there working at all the boot factories in Ft. Worth and El Paso.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I guess you could buy a cab tractor and when you screw up the cab with an errant tree limb, trade it in and get an open station unit.

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
All cab, all the time.

I clear trails, my little 2650HSDC lives its life in the forest.

I fell trees with a brush cutter and chainsaw ahead of the tractor. then i move in with the grapple to move everything.

I have never had an issue with knocking in to trees or limbs. This is dense forest.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Have owned 4 B-series Kubotas, three of which were open-station tractors. Sold one so am now down to 3 tractors. I liked the cab so much on my first B7510 that I scrounged around and found a used cab to mount on my second B7510. It is a much better cab than the Curtis aftermarket cab on my first B7510. I wouldn't trade either of them! Sure, I still enjoy my open-station B2410, but there's no way I'd buy a new tractor without a cab, even if it meant buying an aftermarket cab to install.

PS: Keep in mind there are different kinds of aftermarket cabs... Curtis and Sims are common ones, but look at the less common ones like Jodale-Perry etc - some of them are actually ROPS cabs that do away with the ROPS bar. Lots of options out there.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Personally, I went open station because I'm frequently jumping on and off, and often use the backhoe controls by reaching back from the regular seat position. With a cab I'd be opening and closing that door each and every time and that would slow me down and be annoying. The backhoe station would be outside the cab so with winter use I'd still have to dress accordingly. I love driving in snow so I certainly don't plow it away if we get some. Cab A/C would be really nice in the summer if I mowed with my tractor, but I don't. It all comes down to 'how will you use your tractor' to determine if a cab is a benefit or a hindrance. As far as working in the woods with a cab, not a problem, just pay attention.