Z411 options

maynard9089

Mar 10, 2019
Olcott, NY
I will be picking up a Z411-48 this Spring to maintain my home and business property. The entire area is less than 2 acres but it is heavily landscaped because our business is growing and selling plants. Because I need to keep the grass clippings out of the beds we have used baggers in the past. We want to get away from bagging if possible because it is such a pain. I have been looking at the mulching kit as well as the operator controlled discharge chute with some quality mulching blades. I am looking for some real world experience with either or both. We are in Western New York so we do have wet Springs. I mow frequently because we like to keep it low for our customers so it only gets moderately high during rainy periods.
Also, comfort is important so is it worth the upgrade to the suspension seat?
I would think this was more important to landscapers who are on their machines all day but I am all about comfort where I can find it. I have never owned nor used a zero turn so I do not know what to expect as far as being bounced or thrown around. Our land is mostly flat and divot free to protect our customers. Mowing is my time to relax and take in all the work we put into our property and plants so the ride should be closer to riding a horse and less like a bull. I Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I will be picking up a Z411-48 this Spring to maintain my home and business property. The entire area is less than 2 acres but it is heavily landscaped because our business is growing and selling plants. Because I need to keep the grass clippings out of the beds we have used baggers in the past. We want to get away from bagging if possible because it is such a pain. I have been looking at the mulching kit as well as the operator controlled discharge chute with some quality mulching blades. I am looking for some real world experience with either or both. We are in Western New York so we do have wet Springs. I mow frequently because we like to keep it low for our customers so it only gets moderately high during rainy periods.
Also, comfort is important so is it worth the upgrade to the suspension seat?
I would think this was more important to landscapers who are on their machines all day but I am all about comfort where I can find it. I have never owned nor used a zero turn so I do not know what to expect as far as being bounced or thrown around. Our land is mostly flat and divot free to protect our customers. Mowing is my time to relax and take in all the work we put into our property and plants so the ride should be closer to riding a horse and less like a bull. I Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mulching blades are a waste of money, if you want less mess you will need to mow more frequently if your not bagging. If comfort is what your seeking I would look into a Ferris with full suspension. I test drove a model with the suspension seat only. Beat me up just as bad as one without. I do not like the turn dial for height adjustment on the kubota. Just my opinion but the foot lever with a pin height adjustment will never fail.

Last edited:

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
maynard9089,

We have 3 ZD326RP with the 60" rear discharge decks. Yes, they are a lot bigger and heavier than the Z411 you are planning on, but the rear discharge deck works very well keeping debris away from where you don't want it. Don't know if that option is available for the small units.

Digger

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you have rough ground you will really appreciate an air suspension seat.

I cant speak for the mulching kit but I can tell you that the gator mulching blades work well for what you are after. I went back to high lift blades with my side discharge because it throws the swarf out further and has less clumping.

It sounds like you may want to consider rear discharge. Try and get a demo machine for the rear discharge and decide based on how well it performs on your lot.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If comfort is what your seeking I would look into a Ferris with full suspension. I test drove a model with the suspension seat only. Beat me up just as bad as one without. I do not like the turn dial for height adjustment on the kubota. Just my opinion but the foot lever with a pin height adjustment will never fail.
When I bought my ZD326 I test drove a Ferris on my property and wasnt impressed...no better ride quality and manual deck controls was a deal breaker for me. For the money they charge the deck should be hydraulically activated like the Kubota.

FYI I really like the dial height adjustment feature, I use it frequently, and wouldnt go back to getting off the machine to have to move pins for height adjustment.

I finally bit the bullet and added an air suspension seat and R4 style bar tires last year. I now wish I did that 9 years ago when I bought the machine.

Last edited:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
When I bought my ZD326 I test drove a Ferris on my property and wasnt impressed...no better ride quality and manual deck controls was a deal breaker for me. For the money they charge the deck should be hydraulically activated like the Kubota.

FYI I really like the dial height adjustment feature, I use it frequently, and wouldnt go back to getting off the machine to have to move pins for height adjustment.

I finally bit the bullet and added an air suspension seat and R4 style bar tires last year. I now wish I did that 9 years ago when I bought the machine.
You don’t have to beat up my opinion. The OP asked for opinions. If I were him I would test drive the model you speak so highly of and test drive the FERRIS IS2100ZBV2652. I own an Exmark and love the foot pedal to hover over things instead of running the deck into the mud. I set the pin to 4” and it stays. My exmark is a great dependable machine I would recommend as well but the ride is not as smooth as I wish it was. My friend has the Ferris and speaks very highly. If I had 10k for a new mower I would consider many options. I definitely would buy one with two hydraulic pumps and not one, commercial grade deck, and greasable bearings. Just my two sense.

maynard9089

Mar 10, 2019
Olcott, NY
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will look more at the rear discharge models. Trying to not get too large of a footprint to better maneuver the rows so it really limits me. If I didn't enjoy mowing so much I would just get a self propelled walk behind and pay a neighborhood kid to do it for me. Much cheaper for sure.