Ballast

chasdg

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Front Loader, Grader Blade, Woods BH 90-X Backhoe, Wood Splitter, Flail Mower
Jul 30, 2016
Chilmark, Ma.
I am getting new tires for my L5740 Kubota I drained out the old ballast Beet Juice which is nice because it is biodegradable. Now my question is I have decided to go with heavier ply going up to a 10 ply and need to get wheel weights what is the maximum weight per back wheel?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am getting new tires for my L5740 Kubota I drained out the old ballast Beet Juice which is nice because it is biodegradable. Now my question is I have decided to go with heavier ply going up to a 10 ply and need to get wheel weights what is the maximum weight per back wheel?
Curious - why not use the beat juice again with new tires?

You have the 13.6-28 or the 14.9-26 on the rear?

To answer your question, I image you could add 500+ lbs to each rim, if not more! A 14.9-26 will hold 500lbs in each with beet juice alone!
https://www.rimguardsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/RimGuardBeetJuiceTireFillChart.pdf

Last edited:

chasdg

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Front Loader, Grader Blade, Woods BH 90-X Backhoe, Wood Splitter, Flail Mower
Jul 30, 2016
Chilmark, Ma.
I live on an Island and trying to get them filled on the mainland and then brought back to my location would be way to expensive.
The other reason I believe with the backhoe on driving down the road will be much smoother with wheel weights, patching is another consideration to think about otherwise I would do liquid again but thanks so much for the information, Chas.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I live on an Island and trying to get them filled on the mainland and then brought back to my location would be way to expensive.
The other reason I believe with the backhoe on driving down the road will be much smoother with wheel weights, patching is another consideration to think about otherwise I would do liquid again but thanks so much for the information, Chas.
Running down the road as fast as the machine travels.....makes for a hoppy ride with BALLAST in the tires! One of the few "bad" things about ballast IN the tire....

Had an old 8N ford ....4th gear wide open....it would get to hopping in a ugly way due to the liquid not being able to stay in the bottom of the tire!:D:)

WCR

Equipment
L4701,loader,landpride blade, pallet forks, MTL Grapple, Home Made tree puller
Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Had an old 8N ford ....4th gear wide open....it would get to hopping in a ugly way due to the liquid not being able to stay in the bottom of the tire!:D:)
Would that effect be worse if you filled a back tire half way instead of mostly full?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Actually, I think that filling the tires with more liquid ballast would mitigate the hopping effect when driving at faster speeds.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Actually, I think that filling the tires with more liquid ballast would mitigate the hopping effect when driving at faster speeds.
..but would make the ride "harder" because liquid does not compress and the tires would lose flexibility. A Ballast Box and empty tires would be better. IMO
(also gets rid of the rust/corrosion/tire-repair problems.)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
..but would make the ride "harder" because liquid does not compress and the tires would lose flexibility. A Ballast Box and empty tires would be better. IMO
(also gets rid of the rust/corrosion/tire-repair problems.)
True, liquid does not compress...but the "filled" tires are not completely filled.
There is still a good portion of the tire which is air.
And he's running a backhoe....that's his ballast.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OHHHHH Ballast,, I looked and thought it said Belfast,,,never mind

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
True, liquid does not compress...but the "filled" tires are not completely filled.
There is still a good portion of the tire which is air.
And he's running a backhoe....that's his ballast.
I was responding to "armylifer" post which suggested over-filling with liquid.