Backhoe for L2501 Questions

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I am getting a backhoe for my tractor. What model of backhoe will I be getting? It's to fit a new L2501.
It is to be hooked up to the frame. Where on the frame ? There ain't much frame on this thing. Could they be meaning the drawbar slots....the top link slots and the lift arm slots ????????????
I am trying to find some pics of this backhoe....they never had any at the dealer and I really need to talk to them some more. They don't have one in at this time...but it is on the way.
Thanks, Pete

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
Don't know the details for an L2501 backhoe, but hopefully you bought a backhoe frame and a backhoe.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The BH for the smaller L's and larger B's is a BH77. You will need to purchase the backhoe sub-frame too. It will come as part of the BH77 setup. They are thick frame rails that run from the leader frame, attach to the rear axle and have a cradle that the BH sits in. There will be 2 large diameter pins that connect the BH to the sub frame.

No worries, these aren't three point hitch mounted hoes. Take a look in Youtube, plenty of videos. Look for Kubota BH77 backhoe.

here's a removal video of BH77 off of an L series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQz_9OuwJL8

here's an example of the subframe:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kub...AgAEAE&biw=1163&bih=601#imgrc=M5j45NIW5qv-wM:

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Blondie70,
I installed the backhoe sub-frame on my L3901DT back in June. Didn't take too long to do, about 3 hours all together. Each side of the frame weights in a 60.5 pounds, so if you have someone that help you it would help, but I was able to do it by myself.

After you get your BH77, do yourself a favor and build yourself a backhoe dolly. Makes putting and taking off of the backhoe a lot easier.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got the BH77 on my B2650. It's a workhorse, you'll love it. The subframes are model specific, meaning you will need an L2501 subframe. If you are getting it thru a dealer they will know what to get. If you are looking to buy a BH77 elsewhere, you will need to look up the specific subframe part # for your 2501. You will also need to decide on which bucket size you want. The smaller you go the better it digs, but the longer it takes to move a volume of dirt. Big buckets are good for moving bigger scoops of loose material. Some folks get multiple buckets for various tasks. Good luck and have fun.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Salesman said it would come with a 16" bucket. Thinks it has 5 teeth. Sounds good to me. Not here yet. Waiting.....they will come get tractor and install it at the dealers. I have the tractor stripped of the 3 pt. stuff and ready. Had to take my homemade belly pan off too...Not going to be able to use it.

I read something on the BH 75 (I think) owners' manual (I can't find a BH77 owners' manual online) Anyway...it said to NOT run filled/weighted rear tires when the backhoe is installed. I have filled rears on mine....guess too much weight for the stabilizers to lift ? My question is how to get the water out of the rears if I need to? Then what to put into them to keep the residual water/moisture from rusting the rims from the inside ??
Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks, Pete

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
There is a old post on this don’t remember how far back but the only reason I see is too much traction on the rear tires due to the increased weight which could cause something in the drive line to receive too much stress when pushing with the FEL several guys stated they still have their tires loaded I don’t have mine loaded Just my preference not saying wrong or wright

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Well, my rear tires are loaded with beet juice. I have not had any problems.
The 16” bucket is a good size for your bh77. It rarely gets packed with dirt, like the 12” bucket on the bx25 did.

This Poplar stump took 1 and 1/2 hours to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I've got the bh77 on the back of my l2501 with filled tires, it came from the dealer like that
20180805_170215
Just curious, what do you have to run the RPM's at while doing BH work?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I doubt you will have issues with the rears filled. If anything they will provide more weight stabilization for using the BH.

The most important thing is to go slow and learn how to use it.
1. I dont recommend much stump digging. Backhoes are meant to dig dirt. If you do stumps...look up Daveknowshow on Youtube and watch how he digs parallel to the roots...this is key to make sure the dirt doesn’t provide the root extra strength against your curl.
2. Dont move dirt on the ground by swinging the boom. If you hit anything during the process it can tweak portions of the arm.
3. I have read reports of the subframe and 3 pt arms being very close to hitting or hitting in some cases...when you have the BH off and the 3pt lower arms on, watch the tolerances to ensure you dont bang up your machine.

Best of luck and have fun!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Mine came with filled tires from the dealer as standard with the BH77. When I took delivery, first thing I did was run it from stop to stop in all directions. Nothing was close to hitting. Safety stickers note that it's possible to hit the lift arms with the bucket, but mine won't hit even if you try. I remove all my 3 pt arms and there is not clearance issues there. I opted for the 12" bucket because of the density of clay we have here, but I think you'll really like that 16". Also, check your height for clearance, it does stick up a little higher than my ROPS when locked in and barely clears my garage door.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Thanks for all the info gents....and FREEHEELER , does your owners' manual address
the rear tires as to filled or unfilled at all ?

I can't find an owners' manual for the BH 77 online at all (that is free). I don't have mine as was told it comes with the unit.

I found a manual for the BH 70 and it specifically sez do NOT use with loaded tires. (Page 6 pre operating instructions)

I talked to the dealer and they never heard of any problems with loaded tires.

I am thinking the added weight plus digging may be a bit much for the outrigger arms ????

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Well....I found another one for a new B26 with the BT820 backhoe attached. It is in the manual one can download here:

https://kubota.ca/en/products/power-equipment/tractor-loader-backhoes/

Manual says to remove ballast from tires when using backhoe......what is the reason ???????

I wonder how water can be removed without causing the rims to rust....think the tires would have to be taken off and dried out to manage that. Any water left in the tire would cause rust with all the air in it.

I am going to read the manual when the backhoe gets in...I bet it's the same. Gonna tell them to get the water out and prevent rusting.

This backhoe will not be coming off this tractor.

Any ideas on this appreciated. Thanks, Pete:confused:

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Well....I found another one for a new B26 with the BT820 backhoe attached. It is in the manual one can download here:

https://kubota.ca/en/products/power-equipment/tractor-loader-backhoes/

Manual says to remove ballast from tires when using backhoe......what is the reason ???????

I wonder how water can be removed without causing the rims to rust....think the tires would have to be taken off and dried out to manage that. Any water left in the tire would cause rust with all the air in it.

I am going to read the manual when the backhoe gets in...I bet it's the same. Gonna tell them to get the water out and prevent rusting.

This backhoe will not be coming off this tractor.

Any ideas on this appreciated. Thanks, Pete:confused:
From my understanding, they recommend no filled tires due to the additional weight on the BH stabilizers.

Make an effort to not fully lift the wheels off the ground when using the BH. Just take some weight off the tires, but leave them on the ground.