bx2200 died

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I started it up this morning and had it at a little above idle. I drove 20 feet and it shook a bit and died. what's wrong? fuel filter? something else?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lack of fuel or air getting to the engine are the two most likely candidates. ;)

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
i put my money on fuel filters

Good thing they are cheap and fairly easy to replace.

Replace both of them.. at the same time.

if your going to your dealer anyway to get them, check your air filter too. may want to get the kit the dealer sells. That will have all your filters in it!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well of course you need to change your fuel filters then! It never fails that you must work on the fuel system when the tank is full!
Gosh isn't that the truth!!!

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Gosh isn't that the truth!!!

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Gee, thanks for pointing that out.... I may have to siphon my own tank...

:mad:

I assumed fuel filters, but thought it maybe a bit odd that it just died like that and thought maybe if I let it sit and it is the filters, that enough might pull through to start it again, but no. Would think that if it was air filter, it would have coughed and wheezed some. It wouldn't be a timing chain or something, would it?

We bought it used with 1600 hours on it. I'm guessing it's been a good long time since fuel filters were changed, though

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gee, thanks for pointing that out.... I may have to siphon my own tank...

:mad:

I assumed fuel filters, but thought it maybe a bit odd that it just died like that and thought maybe if I let it sit and it is the filters, that enough might pull through to start it again, but no. Would think that if it was air filter, it would have coughed and wheezed some. It wouldn't be a timing chain or something, would it?

We bought it used with 1600 hours on it. I'm guessing it's been a good long time since fuel filters were changed, though
Dggott - EVERY time I do anything fuel, tanks is full...never fails...

It shut down as if you turned the key??? No stumbles first, etc....? I agree air or fuel could/should make it stumble some before it quits.

I'm going by my BX2360, but when it shuts down, 5 seconds later I hear the Stop Solenoid reset so it's ready to start again....think maybe that or electrical/key switch, etc?

Filters need doing anyway, so start there.

I wouldn't just throw parts at it, but maybe some electrical troubleshooting is warranted...i.e, lift pump, stop solenoid.

Just a couple thoughts, and certainly wish you the best to finding the fix.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Dggott - EVERY time I do anything fuel, tanks is full...never fails...

It shut down as if you turned the key??? No stumbles first, etc....? I agree air or fuel could/should make it stumble some before it quits.

I'm going by my BX2360, but when it shuts down, 5 seconds later I hear the Stop Solenoid reset so it's ready to start again....think maybe that or electrical/key switch, etc?

Filters need doing anyway, so start there.

I wouldn't just throw parts at it, but maybe some electrical troubleshooting is warranted...i.e, lift pump, stop solenoid.

Just a couple thoughts, and certainly wish you the best to finding the fix.

RCW- it stumbled and blew a bit of smoke- that smoke you get from a cold diesel- I hadn't really let it warm up much- it was about 50 out. It cranks now, but doesn't start. Stop solenoid? Please say no. lol

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I just went out to see if it will start. Nope, but it did try. Blew a little smoke, tried to fire, but just couldn't keep it going. Based on that, I'm guessing it is fuel, but then maybe that's wishful thinking?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just went out to see if it will start. Nope, but it did try. Blew a little smoke, tried to fire, but just couldn't keep it going. Based on that, I'm guessing it is fuel, but then maybe that's wishful thinking?
when you described it dying - you said it quit, so it didnt stumble? A diesel that stares for fuel stumbles....like it wants to run but cannot...then chokes out.
That would be what a clogged filter would get you.....

a fuel stop solenoid will cut off fuel flow quickly.....thus a quicker stop if that makes sense.

I would change the filters....bleed everything....and cross finger and turn key.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - if it did indeed stumble before and is now trying to fire w/ some smoke, I'm guessing fuel too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rentthis, that is a thought I had when I jokingly said someone siphoned his fuel and he replied he just filled. With what?:D

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
diesel. Yellow can. Not gasoline- red can.

The only thing I consistently eff up is putting chain oil in the gas tank of the Stihl chain saw. Well, not consistently. Twice. MAYBE 3 times. Shut up- don't tell anyone.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
so, how do you bleed the lines? I've never run a diesel out of fuel, so no experience. All I've ever done stupid to a diesel was on our John Deere 70 with the pony engine. Twice, my dad didn't fill the pony tank, so it ran out of gas on my when I tried to start it. Twice, I left the ignition switch on and burnt up the coils. This was back in 72-74, when there was a local JD dealer and the coils were 15 bucks (which I guess was 8 or 10 hours of my life, but back then, I was going to live forever, so who cared. Besides, I'd spend more than that on a date for fuel, food, and movie, right?)

Any of you know where I can find a used 1 bottom and a used 1 row planter cheap?

I didn't see a "for sale" section here (but I have ADD and tend to just scan things- usually missing what I'm looking at. Unless it's mushrooms... I don't miss a lot of them. Well, I don't think I do, but I guess if I don't see them, I don't know I missed them. lol)

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Well, that was a barrel of fun! Jacked it up and blocked it, then took right wheel off. Not necessary, but gave me a little more room maybe. I clamped the tank hose with vice grips and took it off the filter. Milky fluid came out of the filter. I felt it and could tell it was water and diesel, so I put the oil pan under the tank hose and unclamped it. I drained over 2 cups of water out of the tank. Reassembled everything with new filter, took the cowling off and removed the upper filter. Water. So, I ran the fuel pump until it was clear diesel, replaced the filter and reassembled. I ran the fuel pump a bit, then cranked it. Nothing. So, I loosened the front injector fitting (no, not the injector) and cranked some more. A bit of water came out, then fuel, then it tried to run but failed. Cranked again for a few seconds and Voila!, it starts, runs, and purrs like a kitten. Now, to figure out where we bought the water. lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Treat the tank with a biocide or as soon as it warms up enough, you'll have a plugged system again, this time with algae. :p

I use Soltron, (not Startron or Star Bright) weird name but, great product, I get it at Napa.

We do have a sale section, put an add in there for the Plow and planter, also check Craigs list religiously. ;)

Sale section:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now, to figure out where we bought the water. lol
Super - - good for you!!

Guessing Mother Nature provided some of the water....

An important thing is to keep the fuel tank full at all times. As temperatures increase/decrease, the tank breathes in/expels air.

The air brings moisture with it.

A full tank draws/expels less air than a near-empty tank. Less air = less moisture.

….I've put bar oil in the wrong spot on my chainsaw too..I was a kid and my father gave me what-for..:eek:...never again....:)