Seat Safety Switch

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
I can't possibly convey the anger I have towards my L3301, specifically the Safety Switch on the seat, without being banned. I'm left handed and apparently when I (and maybe all lefty's) turn in the seat to look behind the tractor it will shut off.
ANYONE have info on a mod to STOP this from occurring without disabling the switch?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can't possibly convey the anger I have towards my L3301, specifically the Safety Switch on the seat, without being banned. I'm left handed and apparently when I (and maybe all lefty's) turn in the seat to look behind the tractor it will shut off.
ANYONE have info on a mod to STOP this from occurring without disabling the switch?
Your turning to the left and it's shutting off?

That's odd because the switch is on the left so you shouldn't be having an issue.

Have you looked at ay adjustments that it might have?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sparky,

I share your pain - being left handed!

But I typically turn on my right shoulder.....hell, I play golf and bat right handed.....so not much help!:D:p

dumb question....whatcha weigh? not that it really matters, but somehow the switch is opening the circuit as you move.

Not to tell you what to do....but a zip tie will make a nice temporary fix if need be. As NIW said - might need a little tweakin to get it aligned.

Or as others have mentioned - place a shim at the contact spot.;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm left handed and apparently when I (and maybe all lefty's) turn in the seat to look behind the tractor it will shut off.
I share your pain - being left handed!
I knew I liked you guys for a reason! :cool:

As we know, it really is a right-handed world...we have learned to live in it through the ingenuity inherent in the right-brain..

We're the only ones in our right mind...I tell my Irish/Italian wife that...and then duck!:p:p

Unfortunately, I remember some statistics that said the percentage of left-handed males decreases at a much higher rate than right-handed males over time....one theory is our propensity for accidents, since we are not entirely suited to our man-made world....:eek:

We don't want a bypassed switch to add to that risk...

Sparky- I don't have an answer, but Wolfman and Hokie are on the right track - - there's got to be an adjustment that can be made with that switch to make it work. I do recall a couple guys just had to move their seat forward to help keep their butt planted in the seat.

Best wishes for a solution from a fellow lefty!:D

Last edited:

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Good suggestions fella's; and as stated us Lefty's have to adapt to the environs on a daily basis. That said, due to an Arthritic condition, I'm pretty much resigned to turning to the right which lessons the weight on the left side of the seat and allows the switch to trigger. I think I'm going to take the switch off its mooring and add at least a 1/8" shim and reattach the switch. If that isn't enough, then a 1/4" shim. I'll let you know how I get along.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why not just duct tape some kind on shim on the bottom of the seat pan right where the switch would hit. Add or delete thickness to suit.

Should give you an estimation of the quantity of pizzas necessary to achieve required weight!! :D:D

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It is a very easy/simple fix that still leaves the switch in perfect operating order, however I can't tell you how.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Why not just duct tape some kind on shim on the bottom of the seat pan right where the switch would hit. Add or delete thickness to suit.

Should give you an estimation of the quantity of pizzas necessary to achieve required weight!! :D:D
OK; it's not a weight problem; it's a distribution problem. :D That said, the duct tape WILL give a clear indicator as to amount of thickness of shim I will need. Thanks

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
my switch has been bypassed. So has the one on my zero turn mower. My old Farmtrac never had one to begin with. I realize that it is there for my safety, but when bush hogging tall stuff I need to be able to stand up to check for debris etc. We survived for years without em..... I realize that it was years before cars had seatbelts...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OK; it's not a weight problem; it's a distribution problem. :D That said, the duct tape WILL give a clear indicator as to amount of thickness of shim I will need. Thanks
Maybe an Overweight issue, too much mass on the lean, maybe need to back off the pizza's ? :confused:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The problem is that the newer Kubotas have different style seat switches. Different from the old ones and different from each other. They tend to be embedded in a cushion (b2650) or under the cushion but inside the seat pan l3560. I don't know where it is on an l3301. Maybe someone else does? I have had that problem on both my tractors, on one the fix was a piece of cardboard up inside the seatpan, and the other it is sitting on a piece of styrofoam.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I can't speak to the L-series tractors but on my B-series tractors the seat safety switches are very easy to see on the seat mount. That is, the tractors that have them!

My B7510s both have seat switches, while the slightly older B2410 has no such thing and no provisions to install one. Taking a hint from the B2410, I bypassed the switches on the B7510s.

I grew up being taught that the very best operator safety mechanism was the one installed on the top of my neck. The man who taught me that was my father, who has operated everything from cable-run Cat D8's as a teenager through to his shop full of woodworking equipment where he made his living for several decades, through to one of my B7510s now. He still has all his fingers and toes, and so do I.

At some point we need to take responsibility for our actions, rather than hiding behind lawyers who force liability-limiting "safety features" down our throats. I make no apologies for disabling the safety switches.

Oh, yeah, it sure makes it a lot easier to install implements and the FEL when you can move the tractor forward or back a half inch by pressing on the HST pedals with your hand. That's actually the primary reason why my safety switches are bypassed since I do all my implement changes without help.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
NoJacketRequired, we have the good fortune of the government being our parent.

Because one person, in 1982, got some potassium cynaide in a tylenol bottle we now have all medicines in containers to protect us! I have a hard time getting the foil from under the lid on the milk jug, just so I can get a drink! Oh, we've progressed so far!:D:D

But I did see where recently a fellow nearly cut his tongue off with a chain saw and couldn't call anyone for help. We surely need more safety brakes on gas powered saws because it can not be a human making an error in judgement...

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
NoJacketRequired, we have the good fortune of the government being our parent.

Because one person, in 1982, got some potassium cynaide in a tylenol bottle we now have all medicines in containers to protect us! I have a hard time getting the foil from under the lid on the milk jug, just so I can get a drink! Oh, we've progressed so far!:D:D

But I did see where recently a fellow nearly cut his tongue off with a chain saw and couldn't call anyone for help. We surely need more safety brakes on gas powered saws because it can not be a human making an error in judgement...
Sorry, having a hard time typing as I'm chuckling away to myself. Your comments reminded me of an incident that occurred while my father was nursing his ailing wife. She needed medication that was stuck in a pill bottle that had a "safety cap" that my Dad just couldn't figure out how to open. He had no patience because my step-mom was in pain and needed relief. While he had no patience, he DID have a great big pair of Channel-lock pliers nearby. Swift application of the pliers to the cap of that idiotic pill bottle yielded instant, positive results, and maybe even a little satisfaction at having defeated the lawyers!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I had similar issues with my L6060 when leaning to the right.

I will not put up with this so I shorted out the OP switch in the seat.

No more problems.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I can't speak to the L-series tractors but on my B-series tractors the seat safety switches are very easy to see on the seat mount. That is, the tractors that have them!

My B7510s both have seat switches, while the slightly older B2410 has no such thing and no provisions to install one. Taking a hint from the B2410, I bypassed the switches on the B7510s.

I grew up being taught that the very best operator safety mechanism was the one installed on the top of my neck. The man who taught me that was my father, who has operated everything from cable-run Cat D8's as a teenager through to his shop full of woodworking equipment where he made his living for several decades, through to one of my B7510s now. He still has all his fingers and toes, and so do I.

At some point we need to take responsibility for our actions, rather than hiding behind lawyers who force liability-limiting "safety features" down our throats. I make no apologies for disabling the safety switches.

Oh, yeah, it sure makes it a lot easier to install implements and the FEL when you can move the tractor forward or back a half inch by pressing on the HST pedals with your hand. That's actually the primary reason why my safety switches are bypassed since I do all my implement changes without help.
Indeed.

Defeating the OP switch on my B3350 was very simple task with a tie wrap.

I needed to remove the seat and cushion on the L6060 and make up a jumper wire to do the same.

No more problems with either.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A properly sized piece of cardboard placed correctly gave me both! Can lean all I want, but engine will cut off if I actually get up and go to get off. The dealer placed the cardboard when it became clear my 130 lbs would not be enough in cold weather to allow the tractor to move. I think the seat material gets stiff in the cold and doesn't bend enough to trigger sensor properly. That was the L3560. The B required a different fix.

Totally disabling the safety switches is not a good idea for everyone.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
The guy. I bought my L3301 was left handed & never mentioned a problem like this BUT, he had added a second grab handle to hold on to when looking back as he did say he looked opposite a righty.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
I put a L3901 in my pond because of that stupid lawyer switch. I was bush hogging the freeboard side and turned too far to see the tail wheel touch the water. Tractor shut off. My first move was to hit the switch (PTO was engaged, so that move was wrong). Next move was hit the brakes...too late. I was chest deep in eight feet of water with a seatbelt around my waste in 3 seconds. Total loss on the tractor. I don’t advocate to bypass the switch but I don’t argue against it. Incidentally, I don’t advocate bush hogging around a pond anymore either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I’m left handed as well.

I killed it the first time I plowed snow.