Tractor Weights

oldudbob

Jun 24, 2013
NC
I plan to install rear wheel weights as ballast to my Kubota 1870 tractor. How many pounds of weight do I need to add to offset the maximum lifting weight of the front loader?

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What model? BX1870 maybe? The letters are as important as the numbers. ;)

Wheel weights are good... for traction, they don't do a whole lot for loader counterbalance.
For loader counterbalance you want a ballast box.

When you post back with the model, we can tell you how much weight.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I plan to install rear wheel weights as ballast to my Kubota 1870 tractor. How many pounds of weight do I need to add to offset the maximum lifting weight of the front loader?

Thanks
Even with liquid ballast, you cannot add enough.

A three point mounted counterweight is MUCH more effective.

Dean

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When you post back with the model, we can tell you how much weight.
Yeah, just guessing you have a BX1870. I think your factory wheel weight option is just 50 pounds each side. Many guys here have made their own from different materials. I have my rears loaded, which is only 65 pounds/side if I remember right.

I have a pair of the factory wheel weights sitting in my cellar I never used.....I think Owner's Manual said don't put wheel weights on if tires are loaded. Don't know the reason for that, but it was immaterial as another 100 pounds wasn't going to do much for FEL work.

I don't think you'll EVER get enough weight on the wheels for FEL ballast. I use a 300 pound box blade for FEL ballast and it often isn't enough, even hangin' 3 feet off the 3PH....

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I do with my M's but the cast center sections weigh a couple hundred pounds each.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Weights arent the best for the rear axle, but I am sure it can take 50 lbs per side. It is better to get the weight lower to the ground (ie filled tires) or further from the loader (ie rear ballast). Have you considered just getting a rear implement that can double as rear ballast? Box blade, rotary cutter, rear angle blade, etc. Some also make combo ballast/tool carriers...these are my favorite!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Explain to me about wheel weights not being good for the rear axle, if you wouldnt mind sir

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Explain to me about wheel weights not being good for the rear axle, if you wouldnt mind sir
They put weight on the rear axle instead of below it, which I was told isnt good. Is this incorrect?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I would think it makes no difference in as much as my units can be ordered with plain stamped steel wheels or cast iron centers from Kubota. Not sure of the exact weight per wheel but I'd say at least 200 pounds each side.

Because of what I do with mine (tractors), I'm not a fan of too much weight front or rear because of the ground compaction issue.

That can become real issue and impact yields in damp or wet soils. Why Kubota and other builders offer tracked machines now, because the per square inch of tire loading and the compaction is much less.

Not something a homeowner needs to be concerned with but something I need to be concerned with because it impacts my bottom line.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Think about it.. the wheel weights are bolted to the wheel right so the wheel weights are supported by the wheel and tire, no axle load. Filled tires same same no axle load. NOW if you had the weights hanging off the axle sticking out in the air not being supported by anything, then yes it would load the axle.
Weight boxes hang off the frame, 3 point lift arms NOW you have weight transferred to the axle units. Remember these units are designed and built with these stresses in mind. Can something go south,,ya betya it can ,,, However the odds aint that high, remember if a man made it a man can break it. SO anything can happen at any time

oldudbob

Jun 24, 2013
NC
My tractor is a BX1870 built in 2015. It has a front loader and a 48" belly mower on it. It can lift around 400 lbs in the bucket to its maximum lift height.

I have both a 48" three point hitch back blade and a 48" landscaping rake for it. I also have a carrier I can put on the three point hitch that can be loaded with weight. I can use any of them for ballast, but it is easier to maneuver around without an implement on the back.

Also, the building I keep the tractor in isn't long enough to accomodate the tractor with an implement on the back. I could take the implement off before I put the tractor away. However, I am an old man with some medical problems that make it difficult for me to get off and on the tractor. I have a set of Glenn's Easy Hitch do hinkys on the three point hitch that make it easy to put on and take off implements, but I still have to get off and on the tractor when I put one on or take one off. So wheel weight seemed to be the thing to do as I rarely use the blade or rake, but I do use the bucket a lot. I would guess that I wouldn't need to put more than 400 lbs. of weights on the wheels to offset the maximum bucket load.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Also, the building I keep the tractor in isn't long enough to accomodate the tractor with an implement on the back.

So wheel weight seemed to be the thing to do as I rarely use the blade or rake, but I do use the bucket a lot. I would guess that I wouldn't need to put more than 400 lbs. of weights on the wheels to offset the maximum bucket load.
Bob - I get what you're after, and I have the same issue with length in my garage with box blade on. My BB and carry-all are sitting on my back patio where I can get to them if needed....a quick hitch does make attaching easier...

Just not sure you can physically get 200 pounds on each side....

Gosh, I wish I had better advice.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
You need to remember that the purpose of counterweight is to reduce the load on the front axle, as well as preventing tipping forward. This is a weak point both from strength and stability. If the rear wheels lift, the tractor becomes unstable due to the sideways pivoting front axle.

You need the weight behind the rear wheels to counter act the tendency for the tractor to pivot forward around the front axle. Think of a teeter totter, with the front axle as the fulcrum. Adding weight behind the rear axle creates sort of a second fulcrum which reduces the load at the front axle. The diagram posted above illustrates this concept to some extent. The weight behind the rear axle tends to lift the front of the tractor, pivoting on the rear axle (probably the strongest point on the tractor).

There is at least one very long thread over on "tractor by net" about this concept. It's been a while since it has come up over there, but the thread is still available thru the search.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My tractor is a BX1870 built in 2015. It has a front loader and a 48" belly mower on it. It can lift around 400 lbs in the bucket to its maximum lift height.

I have both a 48" three point hitch back blade and a 48" landscaping rake for it. I also have a carrier I can put on the three point hitch that can be loaded with weight. I can use any of them for ballast, but it is easier to maneuver around without an implement on the back.

Also, the building I keep the tractor in isn't long enough to accomodate the tractor with an implement on the back. I could take the implement off before I put the tractor away. However, I am an old man with some medical problems that make it difficult for me to get off and on the tractor. I have a set of Glenn's Easy Hitch do hinkys on the three point hitch that make it easy to put on and take off implements, but I still have to get off and on the tractor when I put one on or take one off. So wheel weight seemed to be the thing to do as I rarely use the blade or rake, but I do use the bucket a lot. I would guess that I wouldn't need to put more than 400 lbs. of weights on the wheels to offset the maximum bucket load.
I understand your issues.

I do not believe that Kubota offers rear wheel weights for the BX series. If they do, I expect that only a single weight can be added to each wheel.

To add significant weight to the wheels, you will almost certainly need to fabricate heavier weights. Doing so will not harm your tractor with or without liquid ballast but the result will still be considerably less effective than a rear mounted counterweight.

SDT

oldudbob

Jun 24, 2013
NC
Thanks for all the input. I will be going to my local Kubota dealer soon and will discuss this issue with them. I will report back as to what they recommend to address the ballast issue.

Cobraone

Equipment
B2650, G1800 FWS, B2782B snow blower, RC48G20 mower deck
Jan 27, 2018
Boyne City, Michigan
It’s been my experience, that the information provided here is usually more accurate and thought out than my dealer provides, just saying

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Try using bar bell weights. I use them and they work great. All of my tires are also loaded with windshield washer fluid. Here are two pictures of the bar bell weights.

Attachments

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Try using bar bell weights. I use them and they work great. All of my tires are also loaded with windshield washer fluid. Here are two pictures of the bar bell weights.
I just saw on GovDeals, Kent State University, Ashtabula Campus has five or six hundred pounds for $75. Two inch ID hole. Throw them on a piece of schedule 80 pipe. Good way to repurpose.