Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
What ever you decide make sure you keep the chain and or blade sharp. Nothing will tire you out faster than a dull chainsaw and while I'm at it when you start to feel tired put it away. It's always that I'll just finish this last little bit that will get you and yes I'm talking from experience and I'm sure someone else will back me up on that one right skeets?;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I like screws that don't sink in if its used on something that might need to be taken back off, also hate stripping screws, and they must be strong to hold up to freeze cycles that will just snap a standard screw. ;)
I like a sawzall more than a circular saw (more versatility).

I'm normally a milwaukee fan, but if you already have the right Dewalt batteries then that would be cheaper.
If you don't have a good Impact you might be better off getting the set, kits are much cheaper and gives you all the tools you need.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thank you NIW, I like the the idea of bigger heads too, I often have to back nails or screws out to re_use boards, and it is too easy to sink the deckscrews into the wood. I hadn't thought of a sawzall for this purpose, but have been wanting one to help dismantle some paneling in the basement. So now I have an excuse :D. Not that I know how to use one, but no time like the present. Do they come in sizes and types? I suppose...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
A saw all is fairly easy to use: one hand near the blade end to stabilize it the other on the trigger which will have an annoying safety button to push. That is usually the hardest part

Just put the part (blade support?) against what you want to cut or they can get pretty much out of control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can get all different blades for a sawzall too, If you get one, get a variety package.
For the fence board use a medium blade with medium to big teeth.
You can get a tree pruning blade for them too, But use super caution with those as they are wicked sharp! ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have a selection of dewalt 20V tools
Drill
1/4”impact driver
4-1/2” grinder
Recip saw
Circular saw
1/2” impact

Only one i havent used is the circular saw.
It is near identical to makita.
I strapped my hayshed and hung metal last summer.
50x100’ with 18 foot walls. All with cordless tools.
Buddy’s makita and my dewalt were about the same.
His circular saw was the Bomb! Using it 15’ in the air was a non issue
As it cut easy.

The screws we used were a square drive deck screw,karge head and a reverse
Spiral below head to prevent backing out. Best screws i have ever used.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Forgot to add, a spring in the bit retainer broke in my impact driver. I bought 5 for only a few dollars and now have spares. But a little silicone grease seems to have helped.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
TJ ! Good to hear your voice. What's new in the frozen North? Thanks for the tips on tools, any excuse to go tool shopping, right? I do more drooling than buying these days.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The screws we used were a square drive deck screw, large head and a reverse
Spiral below head to prevent backing out. Best screws i have ever used.
The reverse spiral is also to suck down the top board to the bottom board. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
TJ ! Good to hear your voice. What's new in the frozen North? Thanks for the tips on tools, any excuse to go tool shopping, right? I do more drooling than buying these days.
Its frozen,thats for sure. -45 with wind chill today.
I got into my car project so i spend more time on the mopar forums.
Do have a friends tractor here waiting for some work,over the winter spare time project.
So i will be around a bit more.
My L1501 has been working flawlessly so really havent needed help in that dept.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I bought cheap Ryobi tools at Home Depot - 18V lithium powered. Drill, impact driver, circular saw, sawzall & flashlight. My impression going into this deal was that I was buying one step up from junk and that I was prepared to be disappointed.

Man, was I wrong!

The Ryobi tools have proven to be excellent - punching well above their weight. My biggest surprise came with the circular saw. I thought it was a toy. Now I find it's my "go to" saw, with my expensive corded saws gathering dust under the work bench.

For what you're doing I would highly recommend a cordless circular saw for the job. If using treated wood, don't forget to apply the end cut treatment to ensure rot doesn't set in.

As for screws, deck screws will do the job quite nicely - coated 3" screws driven with an impact driver. NOTE - most "head stripping" occurs because the person on the driver is not aligned well with the screw. HINT - buy a 6" or 8" driver bit to make the engagement angle between screw and driver more obvious to the eye.

Also, as a Canadian I have to say that it frustrates me no end to hear screws described as "square head"... That square head design is actually a patented design with the patent owned by P.L. Robertson & Co. I think the patent has now expired, hence the proliferation of "square head" screws. The Robertson (or square) drive is far superior to Phillips for high-torque situations like driving through wood.

Fun sidebar story... In my father's furniture business we used to buy Robertson screws from P.L. Robertson by the 50lb box. I would usually pick up 200-400lbs of them and that would do us for a little less than two months. I still have a pair of P.L. Robertson red-handled screwdrivers (Robertson #8, now what in the US is called square #2) and an 8" power driver bit. That power driver bit has certainly driven over 100,000 screws
in my hands and is still the best bit I own. P.L. Robertson screws and tools were the very best that money could buy.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I used to talk about Robertson screws- people looked at me like I was a Martian. Then I said square drive and they knew what I meant.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It would be like a pozidriv bit.
It's an 8 point Phillips look alike tip bit. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Interesting No Jacket, Robertson screws it is!

Revealing my ignorance here, but confess to looking in the little box of bits in the set I bought wondering why there were so many similar to Phillips head bit types. :confused:

Last edited: