Best way to tie down a tractor?

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
I want to weld (or have welded) D-rings on a L4400. I will put the ones on the front like the original photos at the start of this thread. But I am at a loss as to where to put them on the back. Any suggestions?
There should be some unused threaded holes for mounting equipment to the rear of the tractor. Make a plate from 1/4" plate and weld a d-ring to it, bolt one on each side.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
These are rated at 11000 pounds and are welded on.
And the straps I use are 10000 rated and I dont let them rub on anything.
I dont see how chains and binders are that much better?
The tractor with an implement is about 4200 LB.
If Iam doing this wrong please let know!!
So the rings are rated at 11,000lbs, giving 44,000lbs of securement.

If your straps are rated 10,000lbs each, and there are 4 of them you have 40,000lbs of securement.

Even considering the WLL of 3,335 for a 2" ratchet strap, you have 13,340lbs of securement. Right around three times the expected load.

For a tractor that weighs less than 4,500lbs.

I'd say you're good.

But.

You must provide securement for the implement. It has to be tied down independently of the tractor. A bucket requires a tiedown. A backhoe also requires securement. Even a bush hog or a mower, a rake or blade.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've seen that but don't like it. The tractor can still move sideways.

Bruce
Use 2 chains and 2 binders, one for each side.

Personally I use 1 strap on each side going over the loader sub-frame. They pull to the side and down along with the tractor's brakes locked and in 4wd my tractor has been hauled 1000's of miles without moving.

jlongjohn

Mar 25, 2017
PA
So the rings are rated at 11,000lbs, giving 44,000lbs of securement.

If your straps are rated 10,000lbs each, and there are 4 of them you have 40,000lbs of securement.

Even considering the WLL of 3,335 for a 2" ratchet strap, you have 13,340lbs of securement. Right around three times the expected load.

For a tractor that weighs less than 4,500lbs.

I'd say you're good.

But.

You must provide securement for the implement. It has to be tied down independently of the tractor. A bucket requires a tiedown. A backhoe also requires securement. Even a bush hog or a mower, a rake or blade.

Like others not here to argue, but you can't simply just add these together and say you have combined weight rating for tie down. The reason the laws changed is because of people doing it wrong or not doing it at all and causing accidents. I'll describe just one of many possible situations.

You are driving with machine on trailer, you are driving safe at safe speed and a vehicle crosses into your lane. You swerve to avoid and the trailer goes off the road side and the weight is now shifted as the trailer is leaning down a bank on the road side. In this case if you did have 4 points only two are holding if you are lucky and have strapped close to equally front to back.

I would say then that even if you are perfect one attachment point gets more weight pulling on it, and it's breaking strength doesn't care you have 3 others. Whatever force is exerted on each individual point is what can lead it to breaking. Let alone if it slides or shifts or the attachment point is twisted.

You never plan for bad things to happen, and even just moving on your own property can lead to disaster. Be comfortable with what you do, but realize what you do or don't do can and will affect others when the SHTF.

Stay safe all.

L-35
JD 2010
Lots of other useful junk

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
the last time i stopped into the Maryland scale and asked about whats needed they said if the implement had a built in holder/ lock it didnt need a chain or strap. My B series needed 3 straps or chains (2 tractor and 1 loader)and both pins needed to be in the backhoe. A bush hog or blade on the back would need a strap. This was 2 years ago i guess it would be worth stopping by there again.