tiller info

indiana guy

Oct 27, 2016
seymour,indiana
Have a Bx 1870 with fel and have been looking at a tiller for it. Been reading here trying to make up my mine.

I am seeing some guys say a BX 1870 can handle a 48" tiller, then I see others saying it wont.I am on mostly clay type soil, BUT garden are is nice loamy soil.

Been looking at the King Kutter Tg 48 xb ok.

Then another thought is a one row cultivator to open up garden in the spring.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Have a Bx 1870 with fel and have been looking at a tiller for it. Been reading here trying to make up my mine.

I am seeing some guys say a BX 1870 can handle a 48" tiller, then I see others saying it wont.I am on mostly clay type soil, BUT garden are is nice loamy soil.

Been looking at the King Kutter Tg 48 xb ok.

Then another thought is a one row cultivator to open up garden in the spring.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
There's YouTube videos of guys running 48-50" tillers behind their bx1870's. I guess that's all the proof I would need before making the purchase. If your worried it won't handle tilling unbroken ground check out middle busters for the 3 point. I have a king kutter middle buster and it works good to rip the ground up a little before tilling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah 48 will work,, NOW remember you have a low PTO hp rating so you need to make some allowance for this shortcoming. What I would do first is remove as much of the overburden as you can with your bucket,,IE grass, weeds vines,, you know stuff.. Then when they is cleaned up just set your tiller down on the ground and in low range drive around the area you have cleaned up, this will do two things first it will level out and pick up STONES, you are going to find tons of them. Take it slow and let the equipment d the work. Then go back to where you started and let the tiller chew its way down maybe an inch and do it again, finding rocks and roots and other stuff. Then go back and do it again allowing the tiller to dig a little deeper ,keep doing this untill the ground is all tilled up,, ANd the grass and stuff you dug up well its gone and you wont have to fight weeds and grass.. If you just try to sump it in it will fight you till there is no tomorrow