Loading a 2501 and attachments

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
I've got a 2501 with fel, boxblade, mower, and tiller that I need to move from SC to my new place in TX. I've never had it on a trailer.

My trailer is a 20ft tandem axle (deck is 16ft, 4ft ducktail.) What are my chances of getting all of that loaded on the trailer +safely towable?
I should be good weight wise, it's space I'm concerned about. Obviously I'll double check the gvw on the trailer but I'm pretty sure it's 12k.
Edit: trailer gvw is 14k

If needed I could probably put the bb or the tiller in the bed of my truck. But I'd really rather not because I have to load all of this myself and I don't want to ding up my truck.

Tractor is in SC and I'm in TX, so I can't experiment till the day I go pick it up.

Edited: trailer is actually 20ft and gvw is 14k. Found a pic I took of the sticker.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll hope your doing this with a 3/4ton or greater truck, and the trailer and tires are rated for the weight.

Your really going to be pushing it on a 16 foot trailer, not only weight wise but deck space wise.
The mower is the killer.

I would put the tiller in the back of the truck (cheap piece of OSB plywood will keep from messing up the bed and help it from wanting to shift around, then hook up trailer, put the mower on the three point back it on and drop it on the deck, then box blade on the three point, pull it on , you will probably need to drive on top of the mower then set the bucket on the top of the mower or front of trailer, if you need to get it farther forward for weight, take the bucket off the loader and set it on top of the front of the mower then loader arms over that.

You will need at least one strap or chain for every implement a 2 on the tractor.
1 For the mower (2 would be better)
1 For the tiller in the bed of the truck
1 for the FEL
1 for the bucket (2 would be better if disconnected from FEL)
1 for the Box blade
2 for the tractor ( 3 is better)

If you have a 1/2 ton truck and if it's a one way trip, a 24' Penske truck with tractor and implements in the box (you'll need a dock) and stick the truck on the 16' trailer is a way better way to travel!

Last edited:

hitechredneck

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
Appreciate the response and insight!

It's a 1 ton truck, and the trailer and it's tires are rated appropriately for 14k.

I've updated the original post.. the trailer is actually 20ft. The deck not counting the ducktail is 16ft. So I can maybe chain the boxblade or the tiller to the ducktail. Ramps and straps oughta keep it from sliding off.

I intend to use 4 chains on the tractor. Picking up the chains and ratcheting binders tomorrow.

Implements I'll portably strap. I've got some 3” nylon straps that ought to be ok for implements.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hitechredneck

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
Or I may be able to put the tiller or bb right up at the front.. I really like your idea about backing the mower on and dropping it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea a 1 ton and a 20 footer will do nicely, I haul about same things on my 20 footer a lot off time.

Last run was 150 gal one portable fuel tank in the pickup bed, and on the trailer was tractor with FEL, bucket, forks, mower, Post hole digger, and blade, it all fit on the trailer rather like a jigsaw puzzle, but was done in one trip. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wouldn't you be able to put the tractor on a side of the trailer as outlined above and have room for the tiller beside the tractor, so it takes less bed space?

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Load the tiller on the front of trailer, put box blade in bucket, and drive the tractor on with shredder. Pay attention to the load distribution, you want weight on the back of your truck, but not too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
I'd put the tiller in the bed on a sheet of plywood. Then put the box blade, back end forward, on the nose of the trailer. Place a 2x6 across the top of the box blade, tip your bucket down, and rest it on the 2x6 with the mower on your 3 point. If you have extra room on the trailer you could put the tiller in front of the box blade and still rest your bucket on the box blade. This would shift your tractor back a couple of feet, maintaining the CG relative to the axles.

Similar to my pic below (B2650 on an 18' trailer) but with the bucket on the box blade (mine wasn't because I had forks as well). This should balance your trailer well and keep your mower up on the trailer.

As previously mentioned, secure the tractor with at least two chains and every implement with at least one strap, including removable implements attached to the tractor.

Attachments

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
Id be extremely cautious with using straps like that in the picture above. Not a good idea at all. Those straps can/will wear through in no time laying against the bucket/box blade like that.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm sure you'll figure out how to get it all tied down. For a long trip like you're going on, check the trailer lug nuts before you leave...make sure they are all tight. Make sure your trailer bearings are greased. Make sure your trailer brakes are working properly and the trailer brake is properly set. And finally, after you go a ways, pull over and check your chains and straps.

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
Id be extremely cautious with using straps like that in the picture above. Not a good idea at all. Those straps can/will wear through in no time laying against the bucket/box blade like that.
True, and a great point. I had one almost wear through on a 20 mile drive home with a new lawn tractor. Now I use plastic strap protectors that go over the edges of the box blade or any other implements to protect the straps from wear. I think I picked them up at Home Depot for a couple dollars each and they work great.