Advice on grapple

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have an acre and a half that I do annual clean up from big pine trees...and am considering getting a bolt on grapple for my front bucket.

The unit is the Titan 60”-72” bolt on. I have a 60” bucket and will be using it to load my dump trailer...usually two or three trailer loads.

I will run it from my rear remote valves which I can easily operate from the drivers seat. I will need to run the hydraulics and can easily do that.

Any comments, Recommendations or concerns with that unit...or should I look at other units...

Thanks for any input.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I like the thumb, from green manufacturing

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
How much was it? I went to the website, Greens Machine .com but no prices

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Forks and chains. Bolt on grapples are a waste IMO, especially for logs. It is really hard to work them with the bucket side panels.
Spread forks to max width, balance log weight, use chain to secure log.

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
I purchased the Titan adjustable bolt-on grapple for my bucket. It was quite a bit of work getting it set up....and once installed it is a pain to take it off and then put it back on. It does work great for brush. I have many (MANY) huge piles of brush and I will use the grapple to move the piles in big bites onto fires.

One improvement I made was to weld on some D-rings so that I can lift it with the FEL over the bucket for install.

I am also fabricating some teeth to bolt onto the sides of my bucket. Sometimes brush will slide out of the grapple's grip and 3-4 lugs of 2-3" steel should help prevent that.

I move large (+8' long) logs by dragging with chains...anything over 7-8' wide is tough to move while in the grapple, but I can grab 3-4 8-10" logs at a time. One at a time is much easier, though.

If I were to do it again, I would buy a dedicated grapple.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
I have an acre and a half that I do annual clean up from big pine trees...and am considering getting a bolt on grapple for my front bucket.

The unit is the Titan 60”-72” bolt on. I have a 60” bucket and will be using it to load my dump trailer...usually two or three trailer loads.

I will run it from my rear remote valves which I can easily operate from the drivers seat. I will need to run the hydraulics and can easily do that.

Any comments, Recommendations or concerns with that unit...or should I look at other units...

Thanks for any input.
Not sure what the cost is for the bolt on grapple but I ordered this on ebay (carolina attachments is the maker, made in USA) in my opinion if you have a quick attach bucket this is a good route to go. It's only a 48 inch but it's built like a tank and works well. The picture is the day I got it that's why it's so clean but I've used and abused it since and nothing has broke or bent. I did alot of pricing and got this one for $900. I've hauled huge brush piles and big diameter logs cut to 8-10 feet long. I can do in a few hours what used to take days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
How much was it? I went to the website, Greens Machine .com but no prices
If I remember correctly, I got the 28", I don't remember the price, but it was less than the $428 that they want now. You do have to weld on your bucket, and I would go full width for the mount.. Just trust me on that one...[emoji6]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI

traumadoc2b

Equipment
B2650 LA534 BH77 bucket forks snow blade box blade flail grapple harrow rake
Oct 31, 2017
Indiana
Not sure what the cost is for the bolt on grapple but I ordered this on ebay (carolina attachments is the maker, made in USA) in my opinion if you have a quick attach bucket this is a good route to go. It's only a 48 inch but it's built like a tank and works well. The picture is the day I got it that's why it's so clean but I've used and abused it since and nothing has broke or bent. I did alot of pricing and got this one for $900. I've hauled huge brush piles and big diameter logs cut to 8-10 feet long. I can do in a few hours what used to take days
Dang, I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago before I bought my grapple. I have a B2650 and bought a 66" grapple. It works well, but it's wider than I need and certainly heavier. It's actually the same price as what I paid for mine, very lightly used.

Do you know how much your 48" grapple weighs? The eBay auction now is for $950 with shipping. Did they raise the price or did you ask them for a better deal?

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
I believe it was $100 for shipping. I think the grapple price was $800 or $850, I would have to find the receipt to make sure. I believe it weighs around 250lbs. I have it on a L3800. I do need weight on the back, it will work with no weight but the back end will occasionally come off the ground a little bit with a full grapple load If I hit any bumps. I just keep an attachment back there since I don't have a ballast box yet. The tiller is best because it's the heaviest and smallest .
Dang, I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago before I bought my grapple. I have a B2650 and bought a 66" grapple. It works well, but it's wider than I need and certainly heavier. It's actually the same price as what I paid for mine, very lightly used.

Do you know how much your 48" grapple weighs? The eBay auction now is for $950 with shipping. Did they raise the price or did you ask them for a better deal?

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
So I have some of the same questions. I am looking at buying a BX 2380 w/ loader and 54” belly mower. The dealer has quoted me $2200.00 for the the land pride grapple sgc0548 and the Kubota 3 valve kit installed. This is the pin on model. The quick connect raise the price considerable. I think that is a decent price. If I get the valve kit and then an after market grapple I will have more than that in it. I could go with a thumb attachment for the loader bucket and save some money but not a whole lot. Then I have to install it.

Am I missing anything?

Ron

Papadiver

Equipment
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Is the BX2380 to small of a tractor to be real effective with a grapple?

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Is the BX2380 to small of a tractor to be real effective with a grapple?
It will work but being it's a pretty small tractor you'll want the lightest grapple available and will definitely need weight on the 3 point. It's effectiveness depends on what your trying to do with it. Making small brush piles in relatively flat terrain it should be fine.

Papadiver

Equipment
Feb 10, 2019
WV
It will work but being it's a pretty small tractor you'll want the lightest grapple available and will definitely need weight on the 3 point. It's effectiveness depends on what your trying to do with it. Making small brush piles in relatively flat terrain it should be fine.

Looking at the weights has me thinking. The BX2380 will lift 423 lbs with the quick attach. The grapple I am looking at weighs 200 lbs. what I don’t know is how much the quick connect loader bucket weighs that I will take off.

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Ouch. That's not much lift capacity at all. I would definitely do more research before making any purchases.
Looking at the weights has me thinking. The BX2380 will lift 423 lbs with the quick attach. The grapple I am looking at weighs 200 lbs. what I don’t know is how much the quick connect loader bucket weighs that I will take off.

Papadiver

Equipment
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Ouch. That's not much lift capacity at all. I would definitely do more research before making any purchases.

So if I go with quick attach and take the bucket off and put the grapple on I will loose 50LBS. By the the math leaves about 375LBS of lift. That***8217;s going by the numbers in the brochure. I am sure this little tractor is capable of more than this but ............I don***8217;t know what to think now

Last edited:

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas

LOL, Your Labrador is under fed just like ours. Best dogs ever!

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
LOL, Your Labrador is under fed just like ours. Best dogs ever!
Haha yeah. He's a good old pooch. He's an old man nowadays and he definitely makes a point to never miss a meal.