L3800 surges. Looses power then regains power

DC L3800

Equipment
L3800
Aug 15, 2015
Upstate, South Carolina
Good afternoon fellow orange owners. I'm having a issue with my L3800 surging from loosing power then comes back to running normal. More noticeable at higher Rams. At first I was thinking algae was clogging my fuel line but then I noticed when it acts up its blowing diesel smoke out the exhaust. I'm thinking I have a sticking open injector. Any one have a similar issue? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
More details might get a better reply.

How many hours on tractor?

Hours since air filter replaced - or within a year?

Fuel filter cleaned - or replaced?

Does this with every tank of fuel, or just recent?
Fuel from 5 gal can or 500 gal tank?

Tractor kept in open or sheltered?

Smoke is black in color - or white?

Using diesel biocide or additives?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
More details might get a better reply.

How many hours on tractor?

Hours since air filter replaced - or within a year?

Fuel filter cleaned - or replaced?

Does this with every tank of fuel, or just recent?
Fuel from 5 gal can or 500 gal tank?

Tractor kept in open or sheltered?

Smoke is black in color - or white?

Using diesel biocide or additives?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yep - what he said !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

answer those questions, then we can look into the crystal ball a little deeper!:)

DC L3800

Equipment
L3800
Aug 15, 2015
Upstate, South Carolina
It is stored in a shed. Has just started. Has 65hrs and was serviced at 50hrs, replaced airfilter and fuel filter during 50hr service. Tractor does sit alote. Started this after it had been sitting fora while. I always put diesel stabal additive when fueled. The smoke is more like a light blue and you its not heavy coming out, it smells like unburned diesel fuel. When it loses power thats when you see the smoke. I did add diesiel klean to it and run it, thought it had cleared it up but the last time i run it was doing it. No gas has been used in it.

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
It is stored in a shed. Has just started. Has 65hrs and was serviced at 50hrs, replaced airfilter and fuel filter during 50hr service. Tractor does sit alote. Started this after it had been sitting fora while. I always put diesel stabal additive when fueled. The smoke is more like a light blue and you its not heavy coming out, it smells like unburned diesel fuel. When it loses power thats when you see the smoke. I did add diesiel klean to it and run it, thought it had cleared it up but the last time i run it was doing it. No gas has been used in it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think blueish smoke indicates oil burning. I am assuming with the low hours that a dealership did the service? I would double check, and keep a very close eye on the oil level. If they over serviced the oil it can do damage to the piston rings, causing oil to seep past into the combustion chamber, giving a blue smoke. I wouldn't imagine an additive would cause blue smoke, but the true experts in additives should be along to verify that. Hope I helped and best of luck finding the cause.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it sits a lot, it probably needs some biocide treatment for algae.
Regular fuel treatments will not do a thing with algae. ;)

DC L3800

Equipment
L3800
Aug 15, 2015
Upstate, South Carolina
I would usually agree that burning oil is blue but i do not believe its burning oil. Its not over full and its not low on oil, plus it does not smell like burning oil, smells like unburnt fuel and it irritates your eyes. I have seen this on the interstate from road tractors that are not up to par, they would have this blueish tinge smoke coming out of stacks and my eyes become irrittated from it and smells like un burned diesel fuel. Thank you for the recommendation for biocide for the alage. Was trying to locate something for that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your tractor has 65 hours on it? Why not ask these same questions to your dealer? Get them involved in your problem, then they are aware of when abnormalities started so if greater problems arise they are in the loop.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Do you have any update on your problem?

If fixed, what was the answer?