L39 Tractor Split at 350 hours

danstod

Jan 4, 2010
United States
I am looking for some feedback on a low hour leaking main seal. I purchased this 2007 machine with 150 hours in great shape and put the rest on while building a house and maintaining 5 acres over 2 years. During this operation it has been regularly serviced by a Kubota dealer. With no issues this machine went in for regular maintenance and I got the call that a suspected leaking main seal has fouled the clutch and a split was in the cards for me. Of course the warranty has expired.

I have read in this forum that a full clutch service should be performed while it is open. Are there any other service recommendation while it is split? Is there any experience out there with such a low hour failure of a main seal? What operating factors can lead to a failed seal after such little use? Are there any maintenance factors either done or not done that could have contributed to this failure? Are there any contacts at Kubota that would have a sympathetic ear for my sad story?

Thanks for running such a great forum. I am always surprised with how much information is available when you look in the right places.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Are they real sure it is a rear engine seal? It is very rare for that seal to leak! The front wheel drive shaft seal sometimes leaks though. Have them remove the front wheel drive shaft cover to see if/ and what oil is there. there shouldn't be any oil in the cover.

danstod

Jan 4, 2010
United States
Went back to the notes. They pulled the plug drain on the clutch housing and oil came out. Initial thought was the front seal. With tractor split news came back that clutch was fouled and both seals will be replaced. Not sure if they pulled front cover to inspect for oil but I will surely ask. A little tricky talking with a service manager without the parts diagram open...

Any idea what can contribute to front seal failure?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm talking about the front wheel drive drive shaft seal. It is the most likely cause of leakage. Engine seals and transmission input seals rarely leak.

danstod

Jan 4, 2010
United States
The dealer opened the split pin drain in the clutch housing and found oil. They suspected seals and split the tractor to replace. My concern expressed to the dealer when I authorized the work is the seals should be rare failures and I requested that they review these damaged parts with Kubota. My biggest fear is that the they do not find the root case of the oil in the clutch housing.

The dealer doing the split is the same dealer that has completed ALL the regular maintenance on the machine for the last 2 years. If fluid levels or hydraulic workmanship they performed is a contributing factor, I have a rather tricky conversation to have with the dealership.

Thanks for all the input.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
It is becoming more common that L10 L30 and L40 series tractors are leaking in the clutch bell housing. It is hyd fluid and it seems to be from the front driveshaft seals. We have seen this problem increase with cold temperatures.