Choices L3800 DT or L3901 HST

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I am not a fan of the new emissions stuff at all - so my question - and I know I have to make the final decision - whats the better choice an L3800DT without the new emissions stuff or accept the new emissions stuff and go for the L3901 ?

The tractor will be used on 30 acres in Florida - clean up - clearing - som field cutting.

Thanks for everyone's input and thoughts - I have a decision I need to make in the next few days.

Dan

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
SO I find a "new" L 4600 today - get all the facts & figures and then the dealer say oh - by the way - the tractor has 10 hours on it - but it's new - that's from driving it around our yard - really 10 hours ? Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Thanks fir comments - trying to get this tractor thing squared away

Volsfan

Sep 7, 2014
Cleveland,Tennessee
Don't let 10 hours bother you. It comes with full warranty.10 hours is nothing you will have that on there after couple days use. If it has the features you want go for it. The 4600 is a great proven tractor. I would take it over the tier 4 any day.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I wouldn't think twice about 10 hours. On 30 acres, probably either of the old models will work fine. I'd steer clear of the 3901 for a while, personally. My take on the comments in here is that the tier 4 is OK if you are working the tractor, not so good if you are just poking along.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
SO I find a "new" L 4600 today - get all the facts & figures and then the dealer say oh - by the way - the tractor has 10 hours on it - but it's new - that's from driving it around our yard - really 10 hours ? Does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Thanks fir comments - trying to get this tractor thing squared away
10 hours aint nuttin, but that dealer really cant say it is NEW either, nor can the car dealer say a car with 1,000 on it is "new" ....

really 10 hours showing it off on the lot.......wow!

make him cut the price a bit, and then jump on it with both feet and drive it home!!!! the hell with the trailer !:eek::D:eek:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'd take the 3800DT over the other!

But if the price is right on the L4600, I'd jump on it! If it's a DT model that is.

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I'd take the 3800DT over the other!

But if the price is right on the L4600, I'd jump on it! If it's a DT model that is.
I take it you are a fan of the manual transmission over the HST ? Can you share the advantages ?

Thanks

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
10 hours is no big deal though I would prefer fewer on a new tractor, non tier 4 stuff is getting scarce.

As to the DT vs HST, usually if one has to ask, they are better off with an HST.

I drive both and while I love our M8540, whenever I can do it with the L5740, I'll grab it first. Until about eight weeks ago when my brother began using my L5740 to do some work for me, he was a dyed in the wool gear guy and in fact bought a new one last year. Now he wishes he had gone with an HST. He had little experience with the modern HST in spite of 50+ years driving tractors.

No disrespect to Bluegill, I accept some very experienced operators will always prefer gear, but they are getting fewer all the time, especially in the hobbyist or occasional user like most of us.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I am not a fan of the new emissions stuff at all - so my question - and I know I have to make the final decision - whats the better choice an L3800DT without the new emissions stuff or accept the new emissions stuff and go for the L3901 ?

The tractor will be used on 30 acres in Florida - clean up - clearing - som field cutting.

Thanks for everyone's input and thoughts - I have a decision I need to make in the next few days.

Dan
FWIW, I've only owned my L3800HST for a few months and it's my first tractor. I can tell you that I am so glad I got the HST. The work I do and the type of property we have requires a lot of backing up. I just step on the pedal. It's nice.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I take it you are a fan of the manual transmission over the HST ? Can you share the advantages ?

Thanks
once you have the HST, those gears will not want to be wanted.....I have changed gears all my life.......HST is the sheeeittt!!! NOW - if you are a power person, the gears will transmit a wee bit more.

As far as advantages.....really I dont know of any other than once you are in that gear, the speed is controlled by the throttle as apposed to pedal and throttle on HST, I like the HST more about the braking potential.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If the price is right on the L don't worry about shifting gears just jump on it and sink the spurs in

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Think of the ten hours this way: Driving around the lot was completely unloaded. That allowed the rings to seat, all the seals to seat, and all the parts to properly break in due to numerous heating-cooling cycles. That is really the way they ought to come from the factory.

But, my 3800 is HST. The control finesse offered by the HST is unparalleled. So is the smile on my wife's face when she drives it.

And as for the comment about HST braking, I don't remember touching my brake, except to engage or disengage the parking brake. HST ROCKS.

HST is the only way I'd go today.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
As a gear drive owner, I can attest that you do have to do one more operation to get the tractor into forward or reverse... step on the clutch!

The L3200 is the easiest (geared) tractor to move in forward or reverse I've ever driven. In my first 20 minutes of running the scraper I was so sync'd in with the tractor that I'd have been hard pressed to get an HST to move forward or backwards faster.

The drawback to gear drive is you need to think about what you are doing, what gear to be in doing a given job. HST does not require that, you just push the pedal. Personally, while I love the lazy part of that, it's dangerous for me. When I get lazy I am not as alert to other things going on and so while I kinda get an achy back tooth (like a sugar craving) for the HST, I know that for me, the gear drive will keep me honest, and likely from day dreaming... LOL! :D

Last edited:

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
Personal preference is all it is. I just do not like operating a tractor with HST!!!
:cool:
Yep, that's what I thought too in 2006 when I purchased my new L3830GST. I traded that tractor in mainly for the air conditioned cab in June of this year for a L5460HSTC and after about 10 hours with the hydrostatic transmission, I wouldn't go back to a gear drive. I'm retired from a tractor dealership after 23 years and had been in a tractor related business for over 30 years. I have been driving tractors for over 60 years.

Bill

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Ok finally made the big decision and pulled the trigger as they say ..... I found a brand new - still in the crate L4600 HST tractor and have purchased it. Dealer is going to hold it for me until I am ready to pick it up in October or November.

Now that I have made the decision I can't wait to have it out in the woods and play with it ....going to be like a kid waiting for Christmas !

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Ok finally made the big decision and pulled the trigger as they say ..... I found a brand new - still in the crate L4600 HST tractor and have purchased it. Dealer is going to hold it for me until I am ready to pick it up in October or November.

Now that I have made the decision I can't wait to have it out in the woods and play with it ....going to be like a kid waiting for Christmas !
:cool:, now, what implements and attachments do you need? A grapple to make that clean up easier, you will need to get a 3rd function for the loader. Any implements that are going to have hydraulics that need to be controlled, considering a top & tilt set for any of your grading, you will be grading even if you don't think so at this time. You will need rear remotes to operate anything hydraulic at the back of the tractor.

All things to consider while the tractor is still at the dealer. Normally costs seem to be less when these things are purchased at the same time as the tractor.

Good luck, you bought a nice machine and it should provide you with good service. ;)

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I know - now I have to make those decisions - my local dealer could not acquire a tractor without the new emissions - so we kinda made a deal - if I could acquire one - he suggested that I do that if that is what I wanted and then I will bring it to him and he will take care of the attachments as if I bought the tractor from him.

So all I have to do now is decide what I want - need but I have a month to do that.

Beanboy

Equipment
Kubota L4600 HST w/FEL, landpride DH1572. KK 5 ft boxblade
May 11, 2014
St Augustine FL
As a recent owner of a L3800 DT and dedicated weekend warrior I urge caution in your choice. I mow, disk, and plant about 12-13 acs of food plots on a hunt club, some minor road maintenance, and brush clearing. In May I traded for a L4600 HST beacaue I needed more HP and several friends and relatives assured me I'd "love" the HST. I DONT. The HST is noisier, less fuel efficient, and costly. It IS great if you do a lot of loader work and back-n-forth, but if you are mowing and plowing plots I and my sons prefer the DT. Also, check the price of UDT and filters and how much is needed for scheduled maintenance for the HST. I only averaged 50 hrs/yr on the L3800, so it sat locked in a garage most of the time. I personally fear condensation too much and will change all oil and fluids each year, needed or not (grease all joints every use also) as I planned to own it for awhile. That adds almost 2 extra monthly payments a year when you add the costs of super UDT and filters based on what my dealer charges. I tried to trade my HST for a DT before I discovered the Woods PSS72 Seeder and decided I just had to have it, which caused all sorts of problems. The L4600 can't handle the seeder and the loss I'd take on a trade for a heavier tractor locks me into where I am for a couple years. But to answer your question, try to arrange a demo of each unit doing what you plan to do. Driving the HST around the lot was nice and easy but pulling the disk and everyday chores in real life makes me wish I had stuck with the DT. Good luck and take your time, it will cost you if you don't "choose wisely"

[BCC]

cn2redjeep

Equipment
L3901, tiller, finish mower, pallet forks, rear blade
Mar 27, 2015
Illinois
Just purchased a new L3901 HST with loader. Boy am I disapointed. The front loader hydraulics seem very weak. It's a real struggle to load the bucket with aggregate. I have used heavy equipment for years and have always crowded into the material to be loaded, curl the bucket and then lift it up to travel.
I haven't added ballast or any weight to the rear, and it won't even lift the rear of the tractor.
Has anyone else had these complaints and short of trading it off are there any remedies? The dealer says they will check it out when I return it for the 1st service at 50 hours, but they say they have never had hydraulic complaints. I plan to load shingles onto my pallet forks and just find out for sure what it is lifting. I have always been impressed watching these tractors that are owned by landscapers etc. not sure now thanks for any response or help