General HST questions/ new owner

Hondarancher4435

Equipment
B8200
Oct 8, 2014
Pa
I have Newley acquired b8200 hst not my first orange machine but my first hydrostatic. Have some questions I am noticing quickly that it doesn't seem to like the cold. When I first start the tractor and it's cold it will labor a lot to pull a hill engine will bog and puff smoke . After running it around and circulating the trans for a few minutes it can fly up the same hill in high with no bogging. Does this seem normal to those familiar with HST. Tractors.

I have new fluid and filters waiting to install

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have Newley acquired b8200 hst not my first orange machine but my first hydrostatic. Have some questions I am noticing quickly that it doesn't seem to like the cold. When I first start the tractor and it's cold it will labor a lot to pull a hill engine will bog and puff smoke . After running it around and circulating the trans for a few minutes it can fly up the same hill in high with no bogging. Does this seem normal to those familiar with HST. Tractors.

I have new fluid and filters waiting to install
not normal, fluid type and viscosity will make a big difference.

Change the fluids. I would get some S udt2 and a new filter, i think you will see the difference.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Honda,

I have a slight hill right outside my barn. If I am heading up that grade, I am usually in high range. I rarely let my engine warm up more than 30 seconds or so. Cold, I have to have the engine up at 1800-2000 to make it up the hill without complaints. If I tip-toe up the hill in less than full pedal, it will go. If I try to go full forward without the RPM up, it will usually bog down.

Cold diesels don't handle low RPM torque loads very well. As others have said here, keep your revs up a little higher to unload the motor.

That said, I am still on the original UDT and can't wait to switch to the SUDT for all the benefits those who have done so mention. My tractor is almost undriveable in high range at any speed without hearing protection and the dealer says that is "normal." Can't wait to quiet it down a few DB.

I keep reminding myself, these HST tractors are just big hydraulic pumps. That engine is pumping lots of fluid that is cold and thick on start-up. I can imagine the power loss before warm-up is pretty large.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I rarely let my engine warm up more than 30 seconds or so. Cold, I have to have the engine up at 1800-2000 to make it up the hill without complaints.
Cold and Cave Creak, AZ do not go together!
Your winter temps are my summer temps!
;) :p :D

Honda,
Yes changing fluid (UDT or SUDT2) and filters should help that condition out a lot!

rquad

Equipment
B2710, 48" Land Pride cutter, 48" Land Pride box blade
Oct 16, 2014
GA
I'm a tractor newbie, but my Z-turn has an HST and the manual says to let the engine idle a bit in cold weather before putting it in gear. I would think that would apply, to some degree, with an HST tractor. I've also read that the colder it gets, the longer the diesel engine needs to idle up to temperature.

You didn't say what temperature you are starting up at, or how long (if at all) you're letting it idle. That might give more of a clue as to whether something is wrong with the tractor, or if you just need to adjust your startup routine.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I only have experience with three HST machines. Two gas lawnmowers and my baby tractor. I can say the two lawnmowers need to have the engine run for maybe a few seconds before I can have enough oomph to move the tractor, otherwise the engine stalls.

Changing the fluid and filters sounds like a logical first step.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm a tractor newbie, but my Z-turn has an HST and the manual says to let the engine idle a bit in cold weather before putting it in gear. I would think that would apply, to some degree, with an HST tractor. I've also read that the colder it gets, the longer the diesel engine needs to idle up to temperature.

You didn't say what temperature you are starting up at, or how long (if at all) you're letting it idle. That might give more of a clue as to whether something is wrong with the tractor, or if you just need to adjust your startup routine.
Anything that is cold is slow to move......think of getting out of bed and running five miles, that first 1/4 mile is going to be a beeeeauuuuch!:eek:

Seriously - fluid that is cold has a certain viscosity - as it flows, even for a little while it does heat up and the flow improves........
All engines, including ours (heart) needs a little up and running time before it is ready to work - heart and engine is a little different for the purists but the thought is the same.

One reason that a 0 weight oil will start a super cold engine easier than a 30 weight oil.

Any engine should be allowed to heat up - pistons expand, rings close, metals get up to temperature......etc.....

All this is true with A HST too.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your tractor will dictate how long it needs to warm up before you can use it. If you put two identical tractors side by side, one will smooth out sooner and be ready to operate before the other. Just the nature of the beast.
I personally will start mine and let it idle till the motor smooths out and the pinging stops, and then bump the idle up to between 1200 and 1500 depending on how cold it is out, and also depending on how the engine sounds. And then once it will idle up and down properly with out any studdering i'll go to work. Mines gear driven, so i just ease it into gear till the tranny gets warm.
Usually if it's 20 to 30 degrees out, i'll let it warm up for about 10 minutes. If it's colder then that out, then there usually isn't any snow here to plow, so my butts in next to the stove with hot cocoa, and the tractor work can wait for a couple days:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Always let a diesel get to operating temperature before running when cold. The fuel itself doesn't like to fire right when going into cold cylinders and then getting compressed. The temperature differential in a cold vs. warm engine makes a big difference in efficiency.

I get my tractors started cold (if I can get the started) and let them run for 15 minutes while I go back in, warm up with a few gulps of warm beverage or breakfast, and then bounce out ready for the day. Just think about getting it started then hitting the work after it's warm. When you plan for it, it's easy and your vehicle will work much better.