removing lower pulley B7000

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
Does anyone know how to get the lower pulley off the crankshaft? Looks like there is a special puller utilizing the two bolt holes on the pulley. Its on very tight.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
That front idler pulley is a bit tricky - like Vic mentioned, you'll likely need a deep socket to get around that 46mm nut. Deep because that shaft sticks out much too far to get any ordinary socket over top. In the end we actually ended up fabricating our own socket just for that.

I think we also loosened the engine off the frame and put it up on blocks to raise it a bit - this was done so the pulley would clear the front axle. The job we were doing was diagnosing and replacing a couple of popped frost plugs. The job was... 10 hours or more, and a good 2-3 hours was fiddling around with this pulley!

Read about our struggles here (skip down to Repair Method 2 on this page):
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/found-oil-in-your-coolant/

Let us know how it goes.

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
Ive got the nut off its getting that pulley off thats the problem. I have a steering wheel puller that screws into the pulley but its so tight it bent the bolts.

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
I also tried a jaw puller like in your photos but broke off a chunk of the pulley in the process. Its tight. Tried a bit of heat but not much. Perhaps more?

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
Ok I got it the pulley off. Took ALOT of heat and grade 8 bolts with a steering wheel puller. Soon as that cools off I can finally get that cover off..

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
I now have the cover off. let me state this as clearly as I can:

THERE IS NO FROST PLUG UNDER THE TIMING COVER ON A Z650 MOTOR!!!!!!!!! NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!:mad:

finchrat

Equipment
B7000
Mar 4, 2009
calabasas, CA
ah man?? After going on and on about how this must be the frost plug behind the timing cover? Maybe you guys should simply say I DONT KNOW when you dont know something. Thats a 6 hour job for nothing. And thank for nothing.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
Finch, I can understand your frustration. I'm sorry if you feel lead astray. In your post earlier in March you did come on and ask for some solutions regarding your engine problems, and we did give you some suggestions as to the cause, one of which was frost plugs as they do pop out from time to time. Vic mentioned some other things to check too, you can see that thread here (specifically post #11 of Vic's):

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52

6 weeks later, you ask for some advice regarding how to remove the lower pulley, which we gladly gave to you - deep socket, heat and a little bit of patience.

Yes, it sucks that you've done a lot of work and that was not the solution to your problem. We have all had times when we put in the hours and it turns out to be a deadend. I'm not sure how coming onto the site and insulting us gets you any closer to fixing your engine problems. :confused:

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
Damon, have another look around in there and report back. We'll help you get your engine problems sorted out. It's hard to stay motivated sometimes but we'll help you out best we can.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The problem with free information is that it's sometimes worth exactly what you paid for it!!