used b2620

rsg

Feb 16, 2013
Saskatchewan
Hi,

I'm new here and do not yet own a tractor. Started looking last year after we aquired 8 acres - probably 5 acres that has to be maintained. Gentle slopes, prior crop field. So slightly rough ground, and lots of grass/weeds to cut. Want to be using a rotary cut mower and tiller to start.

I like the size of the B2620, and the 3 speed hydro, but the new price is starting to get out of my budget after adding attachments. There is a used 2011 at the local other orange tractor dealer. It only has 80hrs and is probably $3500 cheaper than a new one. It also has a loader. So at this price, it sort of falls into the price of some of the sub compacts with loaders.

So the only issue I see is whether I will be annoyed by not having 'position control'. Not like I had it before, so I don't exactly know what I'm missing. So its coming down to 4 different tractors, but this is the only one without position control. When I'm using the rotary cutter, I can probably leave it down almost all of the time, and maybe with the tiller, it won't be a big issue??

I haven't driven a kubota with a 3 speed hydro, but it just seems to me that would be very helpful. Only looking at one other tractor with it.

For all I know a BX2670 might be a good choice too? Haven't seen what a subcompact and a bush hog is capable of. If I get my weeds/grass cut down short, than I'll only have to keep the short. Might be a more reasonable size if I have to transport it a lot.

The only other issue is that my local dealership maybe dabbles in selling Kubotas and is probably more interested in selling big Case IH stuff. Where the local JD dealership has it's own department for just the smaller tractors.

Thank for any thoughts or advice.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
With Kubota's no money down and no intrest on payments why would you want to look used only to save $3500? I believe they are offering Zero down and Zeor intrest for 60 months. Why not got that route and get a brand new tractor with a warrenty.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Don't know what they are paying in the GWN for sales tax but here in TN it's 10%.......so on $10K add $1000......plus any dealer fees.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I bought an 05 Deuce in 04 out of the crate and I put about $2600 in it...chrome.....intake...had it mapped.....2 into 1.......yada yada.

I sold it 1.5 years later and I had to take $2K cash to the sale........yep......I owed $14K and I sold it for $12K.

Moral of the story...........I now buy everything used.

Forge

Equipment
B7800, Woods LS84 FEL, MMM RC72
Dec 16, 2012
Pottstown
Buy used. Period.

I bought my immaculate 08 B7800 with 350 hrs for $11900. This included a brand new Woods LS84 loader. The equivalent new model is a B3200. With a loader new, that's over $20,000.

O% finance is always a con. The financing is already in the price!

Lets say I'd financed my purchase via Kubota's financing. Currently 5.75% for used equipment. Assuming 5 years I would have paid about $3k in interest.

So I've still saved over $5k not forgetting the greater depreciation on the new tractor. I've saved over $7k

Tractors are no different from cars. Drive a new one off the lot and you are already down $2k.

Three rules for buying anything with wheels: never buy used, never lease and never buy a fixer-upper.

NELS

Equipment
b7200 g5200
Oct 25, 2012
Watertown CT. USA
Three rules for buying anything with wheels: never buy used, never lease and never buy a fixer-upper

Seems contrary to your posting?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Three rules for buying anything with wheels: never buy used, never lease and never buy a fixer-upper

Seems contrary to your posting?
I think he meant to say "never buy new", but the word used was on his brain.
It goes with the rest of the sentence.

I agree- don't be afraid of used. Many of us have bought used tractors, with excellent experiences. If it fits your budget, give it a hard look.
As far as position control- it is nice, but you can function fine without it. Especially having no experience with either method, it is just a matter of learning the tractor. If you hadn't read posts to the contrary, you wouldn't know that there was a difference. My B7100 doesn't have position control, and I am used to tractors that do. It was just a matter of adapting to what it is. I can mow, grade, till, whatever fine. I know how to operate the 3 point, and put it at the level that I want to. It isn't a matter of not being able to do it, it's a matter of developing the skill. So, now that you know there are two ways (position or non-position), try both out on the tractors you are looking at. Chances are, you will prefer the position control; anybody would. But, myself, I wouldn't overlook other things about the tractor that I didn't like, just to get position control; I would look at the tractor as a whole, determine which one fit me the best overall, and then weigh in the 3 point. I can live without position control, which I do, when other factors are more important. For me, I liked the simplicity and capability of the B7100, and the price was fantastic; it was an easy sacrifice, and I wouldn't have passed it over, if I had the chance to do it over again. For the sacrifice of position control, I got an extremely clean, low hour, garage kept, one owner, meticuously maintained 4WD diesel tractor with a woods mower for less than what my dad paid for a JD rider.
Only you can decide what works best for you.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Buy used. Period.
Politely offering that the above advice depends on your perspective.

Others have given this advice along the way:
Buying a used tractor is often just buying somebody else's problem.

We bought a new tractor in 2011 and I have absolutely no regrets.
The depreciation that happens as you drive it off the lot is only important if you have in mind to sell it sometime; I do not.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Thank for any thoughts or advice.
I wouldn't worry about the absence of position control, particularly for the tasks you outlined (bush hogging, tilling). The quarter-inching valve is not all bad in my opinion.

Whether the smaller BX2670 is a good choice or not is a tough call.
Some of the common wisdom goes along the lines of "buy the biggest tractor you can afford". If ground clearance on the 8 acres is not an issue, then the difference between a smaller and larger tractor might just be a matter of time:
It will just take you a little longer to do things with the smaller tractor.

Good luck!