3 speed pto

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've always wanted to know what is the reason for Kubota putting a 3 speed pto on some tractors? My B6100 has a 3 speed and I dont think I've ever used #2 or #3, I did one time played with the #2 speed and it scared the hell out of me and didnt want to try the 3rd speed. If I rememeber correctly I had a bush hog on the back and it sounded like a chopper about to take flight! I want to say when I shifted the pto into the 2nd speed the bush hog didnt run long in the 2nd gear. So I was curious to know what the other 2 speeds are for.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Eric. The Highest speed would be for a mid mount mower the other two would be for different attachment set up to operate at different rpm's. Just like on farm tractors where some equipment is built to run at 540 rpm and some is built to run at 1000 rpm.:D dusty

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
On my L245DT the three speed PTO is great for running my 25K generator.
If we lose power for an extended period, I use PTO 1st gear during the day.
That way the engine can respond to the varying loads. I run everything during the day, welder, air compressor, etc.
At night, when the load decreases I use PTO 3rd gear. That way I can idle the tractor way back (less noise).
Milo