Pivot bushings for trenching fang

jasowiii

Equipment
Kubota L35
Jan 16, 2014
HomeTown USA
Anyone know where I can buy weldable bushings? I plan to make a trenching fang for my L35 BT900.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I made a ripping tooth. You dont really need bushings as they arent really moving parts. So a solid round block drilled to proper shaft size. Tooth was 3 pieces of 3/8" plate i laminated together. Two plates the same, third 1/2" larger all around. That was middle plate. Used 7018 rods and welded/filled the three plates together.
This basically gave an edge all around and required only moderate grinding. That baby was tough, put tooth on stump- lifted rear of machine and twisted all around,couldnt break it. Cant find the pictures. Every hoe needs a ripper tooth.

jasowiii

Equipment
Kubota L35
Jan 16, 2014
HomeTown USA
Frank,
Thanks for the info that the pins don't rotate in the implement. I guess it would be difficult for a pin with a bolt through it to rotate...

jasowiii

Equipment
Kubota L35
Jan 16, 2014
HomeTown USA
I decided to use a shaft coupler i found at the local bearing supply. The pins are 1.250 in diameter. The coupler I.D. Is about 0.005 bigger. I had to drill a cross hole for the retaning (aka no-rotate) bolts. The pins in my bucket are 7.5 inches apart (on center). The boom and cylinder link are 4.5 inches wide.

Another option would be DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. I guess they can hold a close tolerance ID that way. The two shaft couplers i used cost $50 so DOM could cost less.

I'll try to post images when i am done.

Jim

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
To be honest, i just whack off a chunk of round bar and bore a hole through it on my lathe. I can bore it to whatever size i want then. Dom is a little tougher, but nearest source is 60 mikes away. Like everything else.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I could have used that this weekend. Made a trench with a single cultivator, welded fins to shank to widen it for my weeping tile.just below surface to take water from shop floor drain. Still had to dig by hand. As in use my hands to get loose dirt out of trench. Was a rough day.

Looks great. Should work just fine. A coat of paint so stuff wont stick as bad. Or you going to need to drag a pet rock along as you trench. Something to bang on to knock mud loose.