Shimming pressure release valve

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3310
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Has anybody shimmed there pressure release valve? Does it affect how fast the hydraulics move or just add more psi (lifting power). Would appreciate feed back thanks guys!

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Has anybody shimmed there pressure release valve? Does it affect how fast the hydraulics move or just add more psi (lifting power). Would appreciate feed back thanks guys!
I increased the lifting pressure on my B7100. is that the kind of thing you are asking about?
dave

Attachments

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3310
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I know the tractor will lift more. Are the hydraulics faster when shimming on my bx 25 I have to increase the rpm to even lift the loader off the ground.just not sure if it makes the hydraulics more responsive. Thanks

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Speed of up and down remains the same,just the lift power is altered by adding shims.

bobkeyes

Sep 17, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Not to try and hijack the thread, but does anyone know where the pressure relief or reliefs are located on the BX 2200? I need more power not more speed.

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Not to try and hijack the thread, but does anyone know where the pressure relief or reliefs are located on the BX 2200? I need more power not more speed.
Are you assuming the pressure is low because it won't lift what you want it to or have you hooked an hydraulic gauge into a port and its reading below specs?
If the former,you need to perform the latter or you may bust something>
Dave

bobkeyes

Sep 17, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Dave,
My FEL won't even lift the front wheels off the ground. Can't find anything else that is wrong. What is the pressure supposed to be? I'll check it to be sure before doing any changes.

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I don;t know what the pressure is on yours,another member may chip in with that info. I have a different model to you and my fel spool valve has its own relief valve so check if yours has one.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Dave,
My FEL won't even lift the front wheels off the ground. Can't find anything else that is wrong. What is the pressure supposed to be? I'll check it to be sure before doing any changes.
Not sure of your actual loader configuration but it could be the cylinders are positioned so not much lift capacity is available when the bucket down on ground but has maximum lift when the bucket is high. There are different lift capacities for every position of every loader. When designing they determine what is most needed and lifting the tractors front wheels off the ground have to be a low priority compared to lifting lites off a trailer etc. Just a suggestion.

bobkeyes

Sep 17, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
bosshogg, I understand what you are saying, but I see pictures of BX 2200's for sale with the wheels almost a foot off the ground. Just thinking that mine does not have the lift power others have.

bmwmike

Equipment
B7100, 1640A loader, tiller, box blade, grader blade, carry all. John deere 455,
Jan 13, 2013
clarksville, Tn.
Dave,

when you added shims to your B7100 did you do both relief valves ( Loader and tractor) or just one, what kind of shims does it take and how much pressue increase per shim did you get?

My B7100 is about 200 psi low on the 3 Pt. My book says 1725 is max psi. what did you set yours at. My front end loader lifts great it's my 3pt that I need to increase.

mike

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Dave,

when you added shims to your B7100 did you do both relief valves ( Loader and tractor) or just one, what kind of shims does it take and how much pressue increase per shim did you get?

My B7100 is about 200 psi low on the 3 Pt. My book says 1725 is max psi. what did you set yours at. My front end loader lifts great it's my 3pt that I need to increase.

mike
I only did the tractor and I set set it to round and about specs .
Adding 0.3mm raises the pressure by 110 to 140 psi so you need 0.5 mm or there abouts.
The easy way is to measure original thickness, then find a washer of the correct thickness or as I did, one slightly thicker and grind it down.
A strong magnet to grip it and diamond hone does a good job

bmwmike

Equipment
B7100, 1640A loader, tiller, box blade, grader blade, carry all. John deere 455,
Jan 13, 2013
clarksville, Tn.
Tthanks Dave for the Information, That will save me some time and trouble.
mike

Tractor Seabee

Equipment
BX25, brush hog, RT, Rake, BB, QH, Disc, Log Splitter,12K Trailer, Dodge 3500 PU
I raised the pressure to 2000#, no indication of that causing a problem. I have a BX25 and they only have the one relief at the rear, no FEL relief. Really made a difference on lifting loads both front and rear. You have to be aware that the heavier load on the FEL Bucket makes the tractor more unstable when load is above about pickup bved height. If you need to go higher with anny load do not lift till your travel is over and you are on fairly level ground. The extra load capacity does not change this safety item just makes it more critical. I know the hoses and fittings are good for 3000# and the positive displacement pump should be OK.

Who has gone beyond 2000# and what has been the experience?

Ron

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Just shimmed my B9200 with BF350 loader and LOVE the difference. I happened to have a spare .4mm Kubota shim so I threw that in there. I will be plumbing in my pressure gauge and shimming up to at least 2000# once I buy more shims. Ever since I installed my toothbar, the lifting and curl has been reduced to almost useless....but now I'm back better than what it was before and then some. I have a nice 500+lb concrete counterweight that I use when lifting heavy loads so that won't be an issue. I'd like to crank it up so that I'm literally at the max my machine can safely handle. I have a set of forks I made that work great, however I'm always searching for that elusive extra few lbs ;)

c.schulz

Equipment
BX2660 w/ back hoe, grapple, mower
Jun 28, 2011
Ortonville,MI
I raised the pressure to 2000#, no indication of that causing a problem. I know the hoses and fittings are good for 3000# and the positive displacement pump should be OK.

Who has gone beyond 2000# and what has been the experience?

Ron
Id like to second this one. Ive gone to 2000psi on my BX and it did help quite a bit but has anyone gone higher than this?

Chris

Last edited:

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
I agree with you guys also. I think your machine should be at its capacity. When I bought my B20 I thought it should have more hydraulic strength. Turns out when I checked the pressure it was at 1600#. Should be around 2000#. So I shimmed it to around 2100 to 2200#. Wow that turned it into a real beast! Where it should be ! Operator input is the rest !

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I am concerned with over pressurizing a hydraulic system. Sure the hose rating is 3000.new never twisted or flexed. Maybe in a perfect world burst pressure is 4500 psi. Doubt it.
I dont really put much faith in a hydraulic hose,because they never fail with no load on them.

I had to unload concrete trash bins off a truck, L4610 hst
Each one weighed 700 lbs two to a pallet.
Lifted fine, but tractor wouldnt turn as i backed away. Wasnt bad til i almost dumped it the moment it cleared deck of truck.
Just cause you can lift it , dont mean its safe.