B6000E - Good deal or not?

ekulrenlig

Jan 9, 2013
Gaylord, MI
Looking at buying a B6000E. Maybe a '79 or '80. Comes with 46" snowblower, 42" mower, Tiller, forks, and counter weight. Has loaded Mickey Thompson tires. Looks to be in decent shape from the pictures, haven't gone and seen it yet. The guy is asking $1750. Anything specific to look for?
I plan to use it mostly for mowing and snowblowing. I'm concerned about the single stage blower getting clogged up though, and how difficult would it be for the wife to operate? Your thoughts??

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
If the tractor runs and operates fine, then I think that is a great price. The implements alone are worth the asking price.
I wouldn't discount a single stage blower, because they can work well. The question will be if the tractor has enough power to throw heavy snow. You may have to work at it slower.
Kubota's are very tough tractors, and they are pretty simple. When you consider the price against a stamped metal rider from Lowe's or Home Depot, you are getting much more with the Kubota. And, it is much more fuel effecient. The considerations will be what shape is it actually in, how was it cared for in regards to servicing and where it was stored, how mechanically inclined you are (even if it is in great shape, it is a 30+ year old machine, and will need some TLC), and what your wife's operating skills are. It will be a manual transmission, 3 speeds with high and low. They aren't hard to operate, but there will be more to pay attention to than with a hydro. They are small and nimble. What type of mower does it come with? I assume a rear finish, which takes more attention than a belly mower. Unlike a rider, you will have a differential lock, plus the loaded tires will give you good traction.
I hope it works out for you- again, they are great tractors if they were cared for, and if it is in fair running shape, then you can always get your money back out of it.
The other thing to consider is that it might be a grey market tractor. B6000's were sold in both Japan and the USA. It would be good to know which one it is- do you have any photos of it?

ekulrenlig

Jan 9, 2013
Gaylord, MI
Thanks, guess there is a forum for everything online? I appreciate your response.
Yeah, I didn't even know Kubota made an old garden tractor with a rear pto, it is like a miniature tractor really. I would definitely prefer an older tractor like that, over something from Lowes. The guy has owned it for about 15 years and said he's only needed to replace belts periodically. He said the blower will clog up in really wet, heavy snow, but only a few times a year. The mower is a 3-blade belly mower. It is only a 2wd, but the loaded tires should help with traction in the snow. Do these tractors generally mow pretty well? I don't like it when riders leave a high spot where the tires ran over the grass. How can you tell if it was made in Japan? Here are some photo's.

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats an actual diesel tractor with a pto and a 3 point hitch. It will do WAY more then a rider from Lowes or a "garden" tractor can do. Kubota classifies the B6000 as a sub-compact tractor. Yeah over all dimension wise its the same as a "garden" tractor but I can promise you the B6000 will put it sideways across the pavement.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Here is one thread dealing with the B6000-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...f3Ca8BhAmMhrZuEU1KaRw&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.dmQ

One thing unique to the B6000 is that the PTO turns the opposite way of other tractors- that shouldn't pose a problem for this one, since it already has implements that work with that. It may have a reverser on it, or the implements may be made for reverse rotation. Hopefully, it has the reverser, so you can use other implements.

Last edited: