BX v B

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm about to purchase a new tractor and have been searching for some type of tractor selector guide, but have found nothing. I realize these "help me select a tractor" threads are probably a bit repetitive...but I'm going to ask your advice anyway.

I have 5 acres, about 3.5 in horse pasture, and about 1.5 acres around the house. I finish mow with a regular Cub Cadet riding mower. I will be using my new tractor to mow, move manure, remove snow and occasionally move stone for my driveway.

My feeling is that if I want to replace my current riding mower that I could do everything with a BX, however, it feels a little underpowered for snow removal and the FEL doesn't have as much lift capacity. I'm worried the B series will be to large for finish mowing around the house. My thought was to maybe go with a smaller B like a 2320 or 2620, and try to do everything with that, but my concern is that it will be too large for finish mowing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I own a couple of BX's and the BX will do what you want, I have plenty of power to run a 4' rotary cutter and 50" reverse tiller with my BX2660. However, the B will also do all of this as well. I looked very closely at the B Series and really liked them, but while they are only slightly bigger than the BX, a few inches was too much. I could have modified my property to adapt to the B Series, but settled on the BX as "best" as I have larger tractors for the heavier stuff. If it was going to be my only tractor, I would have gone with the B Series.

Last edited:

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
I looked at the BX but instead went with the B as I liked the longer, taller, wider, better ground clearance aspect. With the B I feel better moving my 16' trailer around.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You could keep the old faithful Cubby Cadet for around the house and look at a small L series like an L3200 or L3800 for farm chores if you're worried about power and capability.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok Mike heres the skinny,, My CUB is in the barn with a blown hydro pump thats where it has sat since I got my BX 2360, 60 inch deck and dozer blade, Im sitting on SWPa ridge with hills and 5 ackers a small orchard and some wood lot,, Trust me you will run out of traction long before you run out of power inthat BX, I do things that I could only dream of doing with the cub,, Had I know what a great little tractor the Kubota was I wouldnt have that yellow thing laying dead in the barn. A couple years ago right after I got it we had a very bad snow storm ran on the gen for 13 days,, and ya know what that little BX never missed a beat plowing snow I even pulled a guy of of a ditch at the end of the driveway.
Now my reason for going with the BX and not the B was the height, I have a small orchard and mowing would be a real beeach under the limbs, I have a 60 inch back blade as well pulls it no problems,, Anyway I could go on for hours about my BX,, all cat 1 and if you use it for what your saying,,
Dude ya cant go wrong,,,
Just MHO you understand

Last edited:

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a BX25 that I use on my 2 acres plus I do some work on another 2 for a neighbor who isn't up to it anymore. It's enough of a tractor to plow my 500 ft gravel driveway in the winter and mow the combined 4 acres in the summer. It hasn't failed me yet! Having said that, if I had known that I would be using the 3 point hitch as much s I am, I would have bought the "B". The extra capacity in the loader, 3 point, larger tires would have been a plus for me. Remember, everything is going to look much larger than what you have now. That is for about the first 2 weeks until you get used to the size of the new tractor. You can run a 72" MMM or rear finish mower on the B. When it's 90 degrees outside, mowing loses a little bit of the fun.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I'm a new B2620 owner and I really like it. We have 3.5 ac mostly wooded so mowing wasnt a concern for me, It is a tough decision, I know, I was real close to buying a BX, I knew it had enough HP to do what I need. For me it was the little extra clearance, and lift capacities of the loader and hitch that was important. I probably didn't need it but i thought I did so it felt better for me, and the cost difference wasn't enough to sway me one way or the other. I knew I wanted HST and a loader, the rest was all gravy.
The One thing that I have found out about the B series that I don't like is the option for rear remotes is more like an afterthought and not real user friendly in my opinion just a clamp on kit that sticks out rather than a built in attachment, seems even awkward to reach and use from what I've seen, I don't have them but thought I might like to add them but am looking at other options before I buy them. I don't know how the remotes attach on a BX you might want to check that out before you decide if it's something your interested in.
Good luck in your decision though, and if you do decide to buy I hope you half as happy with your kubota as I am.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I have a bx2230 and am very satisfied with it. It does have limitations, ground clearance is only ablut 5 inches, a 5ft heavy duty rotary cutter will probably be too much but a 4 ft is fine, the fel is small but it is a small tractor, just takes a little more time. The mowing is excellent and the 4wd is really great if you have hills to mow. With a little practice, you can shift in and out of 4wd while mowing. The only reason I would get rid of my bx is to get another one.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"I have plenty of power to run a 4" rotary cutter"

Triple, I bet even a JD has enough power to run a 4 inch cutter...

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
and the FEL doesn't have as much lift capacity...

Any advice appreciated.
We also have about 5 acres on a horse ranch, and we bought a little BX1860 last year. It is a mighty little beast, indeed. One of our prerequisites was fitting through all the gates on the property (in and out of horse pastures, etc.) and that kinda limited us. In retrospect, I wish we would have bought a B2320 which is a bit bigger, but still has a 48" bucket/width, allowing us in and out of all the pastures/corrals.

If fitting into tight spaces is not a concern, I'd recommend going as big as you can get/afford. The little 48" buckets on the BX's don't actually hold a lot of horse poop.

We recently bought a bigger L2600 bcause the little BX was not up to the task with some of the implements (could not get the 3PH wide enough to connect to the 60" disk harrow!).

We still use the riding mower to do the lawn(s) around the house, but I won't hesitate one second to put a rear finish mower behind the L when the grass starts to get the best of the little Craftsman.

Have fun choosing.

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like either machine will work. I'm going to go test both before I decide. I'm leaning tirades the B because of the extra FEL capacity.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
"I have plenty of power to run a 4" rotary cutter"

Triple, I bet even a JD has enough power to run a 4 inch cutter...
Imagine my embarrassment, I went back and corrected it. I was going to make a comment on our John Deere, but decided to take the high road.

bobkeyes

Sep 17, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Right up front, I'm a newbee to this, but I have a BX2200 with a 60" MMM, FEL, and backhoe, and Tiller. I just LOVE my tractor. I have 3 acres. I mow it all with the Kubota and have NO problem with the way the lawn looks. It has done everything I have asked of it. Like ipz2222 said, the only way I'd get rid of my BX is to get another one.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
This is one time where bigger isn't always better, a Bx will go places a B will not. I mowed with a cub 1641 before getting my Kubota and I had to trim every tree on my property before I could mow, the 60 inch deck does help keep you away from the trees and the ROPs on the B's are even taller. Before I purchased my new 2660 I looked at a used BX2360, I called the owner and asked him why he traded after only 150 hrs and what he used it for, he said he needed a hoe and used it for cleaning out the stalls in his horse barn and the BX just fit thru the doors so he traded for a BX25.

My BX tills, digs, mows, moves gravel ( I put down over 30 tons in my drive ) moves my trailers when I mow ( largest is a 27 ft camper ) and removes snow.
So far it has done EVERY THING I have needed it to do and done it very well, plus its its a blast to operate.:D:D:D

014.jpg

That's a complete 460 Ford motor 700 lbs plus hanging off my BX.

Last edited:

DavidM

Equipment
BX2660, fel mmm box blade, rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Not sure if linking is allowed in here. If it is not, I can cut and paste the main entry, but for an excellent talk about which to get, try here:
ttp://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=265741

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
While not a direct BX to B comparison, my thoughts on a larger and more capable tractor over the BX... Having owned a BX25 which I purchased new, and now a L3200 also bought new, I find that I am not really challenged by the additional size, the L3200 fits in the same area I work as the BX. It will even turn sharper than the BX by using the independant brakes to help turn. So in one way the L3200 is MORE manuverable. and to be honest the bigger machine can do considerable more work in a shorter time which equals a whole lot less hours of use, wear and tear.

The BX was pretty good for what it was, very capable, and given enough time, it would move a mountain! But there were a few things that I really did not care for. Limited or non existant hydraulic pressure / volume to raise the FEL at idle was one. The lask of a three range HST was another. But on the plus, the BX was a little easier to mount up into the drivers seat.

Funny thing I find is all this talk about fitting through gates and such. Really, we are talking 15k + tractors, is changing out a few gates for a few hundred dollars really that big of deal in the larger picture of costs? And the wider and larger larger tractor is definatly more stable feeling, so the width is really a plus. Heck, one or two services not having to be performed on the BX as the bigger machine can do more in less time would pay for at least one of those gates.... just sayin'

Just my thoughts, but it is not a apples to oranges BX to B comparison for sure.

David

Last edited:

Looney

Equipment
B3300SU, Land Pride 60" Rotary Mower, Post hole Auger with 12" Auger.
Oct 22, 2011
Loomis, CA
I went through this same decision about a year and a half ago. I was looking at the BX2620 and the B3300. I ended up buying the B3300. Having used it on my 5 acres over the last 18 months, I have a couple of comments. At times I really wish I would have went with the BX. Mainly because I could have gotten more implements at the time of purchase. I have also had a couple of times when I would have liked to have gotten between some trees while mowing. On the other hand, I've had times when I wish my B3300 was heavier and had more lift on the FEL. In the end I really like the B3300. Power wise, she is a brut. Either way you go, you will happy. I'm sure of it.

Charles

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Ten years ago I went shopping and the final choice was between a BX and a B7500. The BX felt, spec'd and looked too small so I went with the B7500 and a 5' RFM. My preference is a RFM and unless you have one of those yards with a laughable number of ornaments it would do just fine.

There were a number of times the B7500 seemed just a tad small / light so after 10 years with the B7500 went shopping last Spring. After looking at four different colors we stuck with Kubota and had an L3200 delivered with a 6' RFM. What a difference! The L3200 never breaks a sweat where the B7500 had to work. It also goes places in 2WD that the B7500 had to be locked in 4WD.

Base mowing is our 2-1/4 acre home plus a widow's 1/2 acre. Settled on an adjoining 1-1/3 acres a couple months ago. I do move some dirt, mulch, etc and wouldn't want to be without the loader. Also do snow on approx. 700' or so of driveways between mine and neighbors.

I recently built a cab that is removeable but I may only lift off doors for the Summer. If that happens I will need to do some pruning due to height. It sits a few inches under 7' with the top.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The BX is a fine tractor, and in the same horsepower range as the B2320/2620. I mow with a B7100 and a finish mower, which does well; if I were shopping between the two, I would spring for the B because of ground clearance. Otherwise, I would be very comfortable with either one.