Repair or part out?????

DRG

Apr 26, 2015
Walland Tn
I have a B6200HST with mower deck that looks real nice and has a new seat. The engine runs great, however it sucks the radiator dry. I just pulled the head and found a crack in the center combustion chamber. I know the tractor was run hot when the water pump failed while mowing.
Has anyone here tried the cylinder heads sold on Ebay? I considered selling the short block assembly and buying a replacement engine. I am just uncertain about which way to go.
1. part out entire tractor
2.sell short block and replace engine assembly
3.buy head off ebay and repair.

Any thoughts are appreciated

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a B6200HST with mower deck that looks real nice and has a new seat. The engine runs great, however it sucks the radiator dry. I just pulled the head and found a crack in the center combustion chamber. I know the tractor was run hot when the water pump failed while mowing.
Has anyone here tried the cylinder heads sold on Ebay? I considered selling the short block assembly and buying a replacement engine. I am just uncertain about which way to go.
1. part out entire tractor
2.sell short block and replace engine assembly
3.buy head off ebay and repair.

Any thoughts are appreciated
looking at the value of the tractor........... what do you come up with ? Can you replace the entire thing for ....what say 4K ?

If you part it out, will be hard to sell piece by piece, unless you have someone on the hook.

what does the head and gaskets going to cost???

what will a "new" engine cost? 1.5K?? I have no idea!

what does the head cost off ebay? How can you verify it is "good"

run back some numbers for us ! :)

DRG

Apr 26, 2015
Walland Tn
Tractor has 326 hrs on it. D850 engine

New BARE head is $600
Gaskets are $100
300hr engine is $1k plus a 540 mile round trip! Has to be ftf cash for that price.

I figure the tractor is worth around $3k with a good head. I have no idea what someone would offer for the D850 short block.

Just checked pricing. Apparently in this overall condition (with new head) it would be worth over $3k to a little over $4k.

Last edited: