Starting issue

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
My tractor partner said he tried to start our L1500DT the other night to move it in his shop to put a boat in.

He thinks he may have tried to start it in gear initially and it appears that it won't turn over. He charged the battery thinking that was the issue and it still won't turn over.

Is there any safety switches in a tractor that old or is the starter just stuck? I had a 72 Fargo Van that required an attitude adjustment with a hammer once and a while!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My tractor partner said he tried to start our L1500DT the other night to move it in his shop to put a boat in.

He thinks he may have tried to start it in gear initially and it appears that it won't turn over. He charged the battery thinking that was the issue and it still won't turn over.

Is there any safety switches in a tractor that old or is the starter just stuck? I had a 72 Fargo Van that required an attitude adjustment with a hammer once and a while!
Would not reach for the BFH just yet.....
when you say it will not turn over.....turn the key and nuttin? no click, no hum, buzz or anything?:p

I would say the PTO got bumped....or a something in not in the right place.....
triple check all your safety switches......betcha one is the culprit !!!!:D:)

Was working on my BIL B series......taking the backhoe off and showing him the 3 pt stuff.......he got on and it would not do a damn thing......took me a few minutes.....pto lever got bumped.....and then it fired right up!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Corney. The only safety switch on that tractor is for the clutch. Clutch has to be pressed to start. Safety switch is located on the right hand side of the bell housing below the fuel tank. Just in front of the brake pedal. Should have two wires going to it. Check the fuses in the dash also. One of those fuses powers the glow plug/ starter switch :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When i first got my l1501, it needed a jump at the starter solenoid to run. It has a broken wire between solenoid,clutch or key. I replaced wires and its been 100% ever since.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
He also has big feet, likes pilsners and is an electrical technologist...
Oh, is he the guy who was laid off when Louisiana switched to lethal injection? I've worried about how he was going to be able to support his family. Guess he's gotten by the last, what, almost 25 years?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks fellas, will check these suggestions out.

Still like the BFH though!
corney,

just in case - here's your hammer.....:D:)

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
corney,

just in case - here's your hammer.....:D:)

I've always been partial to this one :D doesn't leave any signs that you whacked the hell out of it ;) model is the bfh12 from Matco tools :cool: I use it for the occasional tweaking when you don't want to leave any evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As a research technician/toolmaker with a large avionics concern, my work tasks were extremely varied. On a particular day we were positioning 4000lb granite blocks within a few arc seconds, and needed a BFH for final tap-in. I borrowed a dead blow hammer from maintenance, and it was even bigger than the one pictured above, and dayglow orange.
As I walked across the plant with this huge mallet over my shoulder, I was getting eyeballed by some high level "suit"- as we passed, I said "I'm on my way to my review." Got the strangest look- just cracked me up. Of course in today's overly sensitive, politically correct world, I'd have been fired & arrested.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As a research technician/toolmaker with a large avionics concern, my work tasks were extremely varied. On a particular day we were positioning 4000lb granite blocks within a few arc seconds, and needed a BFH for final tap-in. I borrowed a dead blow hammer from maintenance, and it was even bigger than the one pictured above, and dayglow orange.
As I walked across the plant with this huge mallet over my shoulder, I was getting eyeballed by some high level "suit"- as we passed, I said "I'm on my way to my review." Got the strangest look- just cracked me up. Of course in today's overly sensitive, politically correct world, I'd have been fired & arrested.
Now what would happen if it was PINK....then the women folks would be on your ars like stink on.......

the people in the suits were not smart enough to figure out what end does the work!:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren that is not a tweeker it's an ajustapator!
I like the name :D boss thought I was nuts when I bought it. All he could think of was carnival hammer. He was helping me out putting a pump end back together on a 10" high pressure pump. I used the hammer to install the impellor and to tweak the volute to get the bolt holes to line up. Used to use a sledge and a 2x4 to keep from damaging it. He never laughed again :D He tells the mechanics when he visits other locations that they need to get one of those and has a pic on his phone to show them :rolleyes:

Corney

Equipment
Well the hammer did not fix the issue! We have taken darn near everything apart, and it still won't go. If we pull the battery post off and put it back on the dash lights come on. When we try to start it we get one click and no lights. Going to pull the starter off and have it checked out.

New starter in $385.00 plus tax:eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Corney, if you have a digital meter, start checking voltage on each end of the battery cables. And also directly on the battery posts. While checking voltage, have someone try to start it. It will tell you if the battery is toast, or a cable is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corney

Equipment
My partner in this tractor deal is an electrical technologist and we traced everything to the starter. We found crappy end terminals rubbed off coverings.

Once we get it going we will give her a good bath and rewire her!

I saw some flashes coming from the starter area. It was also late and I was a few pilsners into the night.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its not the starter. Remove battery negative cable-both ends and clean cables and frame where cable goes. A new bolt and re assemble.

As you mentioned the lights go out when you try the starter, thats a circuit opening. Battery will do that-they have the potential to explode if they arc internally (happened to me once) so please be careful.

When my tractor did this, i removed battery and cables and cleaned everything.
Its been nearly a year without a hiccup.

Could remove starter and test with jumper cables on a different battery.

Keep us posted, would like to know what solved your issue.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I saw some flashes coming from the starter area. It was also late and I was a few pilsners into the night.
I've had that same problem! Pilsners, flashes, etc. Went on the wagon, got wagon load of Guinness, didn't see any more flashes.

Worked for me, hopefully it'll solve your issues. :D:D:D