Rotella T5 syn blend,4wd chains,diff. lock

50shootr

Equipment
B6100D, Honda 70 fourtrax STIHL MS 250
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Hi..Engine oil is a much discussed subject in this forum,I've seen Rotella T6 petroleum oil,no mention of Rotella T5 synthetic blend oil,I just purchased some for my b6100 912hrs, its of CJ-4 rated , 10w-30, easy to find Wal-Mart,I live in New England, will be plowing snow, avg.night temp. 10 degrees F, any comments? Other questions, OK to use chains on all 4 wheels plowing? b6100d, can I lock the differential while plowing snow ?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
T6 is a full synthetic. Yes, you can use chains on all 4 tires. And yes, you can use the dif lock pushing snow. It will want to stay straight when turning, and if you are using chains on all 4's, you should let off when turning sharp. Also, don't engage when one tire is spinning- that is a given, regardless of the reason for using.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
don't engage when one tire is spinning- that is a given, regardless of the reason for using.
Hodge, you think people would have enough sense not to do this but at the quarry I used to work at one of our contract dump truck drivers waited until he was everything but stuck and flipped the power divider in while the drive tires were spinning about 30mph. It was a bad day to say the least.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, you think people would have enough sense not to do this but at the quarry I used to work at one of our contract dump truck drivers waited until he was everything but stuck and flipped the power divider in while the drive tires were spinning about 30mph. It was a bad day to say the least.
If your gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough. Or rich.

50shootr

Equipment
B6100D, Honda 70 fourtrax STIHL MS 250
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Thanks hodge for the the reply,live down a 1/4 mi driveway,need all the traction,I'll be carefull not to engage diff. lock while moving,I like the gears the way they are,wasn't sure about T5,T6 oil, I assume 10w-30 isn't available in T6,looking forward to play in the snow., nice tractor. Later...Ed

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
All of the Rotella oils are good. I use the 15W40 dino Rotella in all of my diesels, and T6 in my daughter's TDI Jetta.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va

Well you cant fix stupid. Out of ever single commercial truck I've driven in my 10 year career as a truck driver, the trucks with tandem axles has a power divider and a WARNING sticker near the switch that clearly states do NOT engage when the axles are moving!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Eric, you got it right. You can't fix stupid. This truck had the same warning label and the driver argued up and down with the owner about how it was suppose to work. I guess he argued all the way to the unemployment office.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Eric, you got it right. You can't fix stupid. This truck had the same warning label and the driver argued up and down with the owner about how it was suppose to work. I guess he argued all the way to the unemployment office.
Isn't it amazing the wide disparity when it comes to people's logic? You got some folks on one side that think a certain way, and then you have other folks who think just the opposite. I'm not talking religion or politics, but logic and good old common sense. Warning labels are designed to bridge that gap, but yet some folks completely ignore them and think that they can reason better than the person who designed the machine. There is a difference between educated and common sense.
A friend always says "rules (and warning labels) are made for those who can't think for themselves". Unfortunately, some don't read or listen.