Finish Mower

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I currently run a 6 foot finish mower as it was a gift. It mows excellent but I have a MX5800 and the widths are pretty equivalent. I would love to have an 8 foot finish mower. Question is would it scalp like I think it probably will or do they actually cut pretty good at the width? It’s hard to want to spend money when I don’t need to but maybe I can trade up for the right brand. Opinions welcome.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I currently run a 6 foot finish mower as it was a gift. It mows excellent but I have a MX5800 and the widths are pretty equivalent. I would love to have an 8 foot finish mower. Question is would it scalp like I think it probably will or do they actually cut pretty good at the width? It’s hard to want to spend money when I don’t need to but maybe I can trade up for the right brand. Opinions welcome.
I have just looked through the Landpride catalogue since Kubota now owns them.

FDR2584 cuts 84" , The next is designed for heavy commercial use....read $$$ and it is FDR3690 cuts 90" It has a swinging blade design on 3 blades.

After that width you are into multiple cutters behind one tractor so super expensive.

In my experience, when you have implements wider than your rear wheels by more than a few inches, you tend to catch the protruding part of the implement on trees, poles curbs...

Dave

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
They make anti scalp rollers that go on the front just under the 3 point.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have a Landpride FD3590 90" finish mower on my MX5800 and it did scalp on uneven areas but did very well on flat ground I added the anti scalp roller kit and it helped a lot but will still scalp in some uneven areas. If I use a 7' finish mower behind it it works a lot better but adds time to the task.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There's a 91" RFM undergoing a refurbishing right now that I HOPE works well behind my L4240. That project should be complete in days (or weeks) depending upon how my schedule work out. The tractor has proven itself as suitable for the task with a 6 footer from another tractor. My fingers are crossed on the scalping not being a problem.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Thank you for all the replies very good information. I have a Rhino Finish Mower now. Not sure how much it is worth but it has new blades, belt, kept inside and runs great but it is a side discharge. After looking at some of the models you all mentioned seems to be about $5k for a 2 foot wider cut. Not sure I can get the wife onboard even if I sold the 6 footer for what ever price you all think it would be worth.?.

One of you mentioned hitting the implement on trees. That was the reason I was looking at going bigger. So I can go around them easier and get a closer cut. Is my logic misinformed?

Thanks all!

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Though smaller, I have the FDR1660 behind my L2501 and used to scalp several locations on my small property. I added FitRite TnT and the optional QH15 Floating Top link and now it follows the contours nicely. I have the tilt cylinder on a float valve as the floating top link manages the undulations that are perpendicular to direction of travel. I can't imagine mowing without TnT now that I have it. I don't know if that would translate up to bigger tractors and mowers but I would think it would.

Edit: I ordered a new belt as the old one was stretched and popped off a couple of times. New belt didn't fit. Measured and figured out I have a FDR1672 not the 60" one I thought. It didn't have a sticker with the model and the CL add just said Land Pride FDR16. A bit embarrassed but got more bang for the buck as my L2501 handles the 72" mower like it was made to fit.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
One of you mentioned hitting the implement on trees. That was the reason I was looking at going bigger. So I can go around them easier and get a closer cut. Is my logic misinformed?

Thanks all!
Logic is spot on. I have a 15 foot batwing finish mower I use. I have four and a half feet hanging out past each side of the tractor. It makes it much easier to cut around the pond, (and safer), and the fence since the tractor is four plus feet away from the pond, fence, trees....
I can put the mower within 3 or 4 inches away from the objects that I am mowing around while keeping the tractor safely away.
I also have a Land Pride 84 inch finish mower that I bought new, ($4k), that I also use down the trails. The tractor is right up against the edge of where I am cutting and I can not get as close as the batwing.

As far as hitting something with the mower....
....you can hit something with anything. :D

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Logic is spot on. I have a 15 foot batwing finish mower I use. I have four and a half feet hanging out past each side of the tractor. It makes it much easier to cut around the pond, (and safer), and the fence since the tractor is four plus feet away from the pond, fence, trees....
I can put the mower within 3 or 4 inches away from the objects that I am mowing around while keeping the tractor safely away.
I also have a Land Pride 84 inch finish mower that I bought new, ($4k), that I also use down the trails. The tractor is right up against the edge of where I am cutting and I can not get as close as the batwing.

As far as hitting something with the mower....
....you can hit something with anything. :D
That’s what I was thinking as well. Keeping the tractor away from trees, shrubs, fence posts and fencing. I will keep my eye open for a nice used one. And I like your quote. You definitely can hit something with anything at anytime when not paying attention! Thanks all for the replies. Appreciate all the input.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Only problem I have with it being wider than the tractor is being down in a ditch mowing and hitting the opposite bank.

I like having it wider as far as trees go. Once you get used to it you can cut right up to a object and hook the mower right around it. I love a rear finish mower because of that.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You will find all of the high spots in your lawn.

Land Pride has a new 11' flex wing finish mower intended for homeowners. It uses 3, 4' rear discharge decks so should follow the terrain well.

I saw one at a local dealer open house this past Saturday. Not commercial duty but not as expensive either.

Model number is AFM3011.

SDT