Simple shade canopy

GCTucson

Equipment
L2900GST
May 24, 2018
Tucson
Living in the desert, I don't need protection from rain very often, but I do like to stay out of the sun. I made this shade structure from 3/4" square steel tubing plus a pair of heavy steel brackets that fit over the ROPS. I put 90% shade cloth over the frame and fixed it with tek screws with steel and rubber washers. Struts from the frame to the brackets keep it from vibrating. It measures 48 x 60 inches and weighs less than 20 pounds.

I'd looked at canopies on line and was going to buy one, but it would have added 12 inches of height and made it impossible to park in one of my buildings. This unit adds only 1.25 inches.

It took about 6 hours to cut and weld the frame and another hour to attach the shade cloth (with help from my wife). Total cost was about $50 for materials.

PS: I also made the ballast box/carryall and it works great.

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
GC- -

if it feels good, do it ...and that is one of the best simple canopies I’ve seen in a while.
Fortunately for you no rain......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Nice clean design. I have a DIY canopy as well. Any shade makes a huge difference.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I made a similar canopy out of pvc pipe and trampoline mesh. When it rains and I have to keep working, I just put on a rain suit. Problem solved. :D

Great work on the canopy and carry-all!

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Living in the desert, I don't need protection from rain very often, but I do like to stay out of the sun. I made this shade structure from 3/4" square steel tubing plus a pair of heavy steel brackets that fit over the ROPS. I put 90% shade cloth over the frame and fixed it with tek screws with steel and rubber washers. Struts from the frame to the brackets keep it from vibrating. It measures 48 x 60 inches and weighs less than 20 pounds.

I'd looked at canopies on line and was going to buy one, but it would have added 12 inches of height and made it impossible to park in one of my buildings. This unit adds only 1.25 inches.

It took about 6 hours to cut and weld the frame and another hour to attach the shade cloth (with help from my wife). Total cost was about $50 for materials.

PS: I also made the ballast box/carryall and it works great.
looks great! adding the canopy is one of the best things we did to the tractor