K7324 Alternator Kit Sourcing?

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
So as several others over time have done or aspired to do, I am looking to replace the stupid dynamo in my 2018 B2650 ROPS HST to an alternator for the purpose of powering auxiliary lighting, laptop, coffee maker, TV/Blu-Ray, toaster oven, etc. From past threads on OTT and elsewhere, I have concluded that there are basically 2 options for an upgrade "kit": The B2655 90 amp, which is officially compatible with my B2650 for ~$463 (according to my dealer), or the (B/K)7324 which is for a different model but purportedly perfectly compatible with the 2650, but not listed as such by Kubota for between ~$100-200, and I believe has ~40a output which would be more than adequate. I asked my dealer specifically about ordering the latter, but he informed me it was not compatible and offered the former at the aforementioned unpalatable price... As I purchased my tractor from this dealer, I'm leery of telling him to just get me the "non-compatible" kit and telling him "Don't worry, I read this will work on the internet" and have them flag my warranty file or something. I'm hoping someone might know of an alternative source for the 7324 kit? I can't seem to find the whole kit anywhere (I've seen it referred to as B7324 and K7324, not positive which is correct). Surprised it's not more readily available... I would greatly appreciate any info on where to get it, or general information or experiences with it!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Why are you trying to run all that stuff off your tractor? You want a generator if you need to run 110v powered items, not an alternator. If you are just adding lights to your tractor, if you buy LED lights, the dynamo shouldn’t have any problems keeping up.

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I was just joking. Just lights and occasionally to charge cellphone and bluetooth speaker. Max draw would be ~17.5a which is beyond output of the dynamo, and that accounts for reduction from conversion of all stock incandescent lights to LED.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I was just joking. Just lights and occasionally to charge cellphone and bluetooth speaker. Max draw would be ~17.5a which is beyond output of the dynamo, and that accounts for reduction from conversion of all stock incandescent lights to LED.

I believe I’ve come across discussions about the 2650 dynamo... if your sources are correct and you trust them, I wouldn’t hesitate to try a different alternator kit - especially one that’s $250 less.
Pretty much any failure of that alternator is going to be on you though.
I should have gotten the upgrade alternator on my L4060 (90a). Like you, I replaced all of the incandescents with LED (except headlights) which got me down to 27a including (4) led work lights. Seems ok until you add in window defrosters and heater fan, which seems to be pushing the 60a alternator. Not really sure though since I don’t know the draw of the defroster and fan. The voltage at >1500 rpm holds at around 14.4v when I tested it, which was the same voltage with no load.
Anyway, good luck with your project whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I believe I’ve come across discussions about the 2650 dynamo... if your sources are correct and you trust them, I wouldn’t hesitate to try a different alternator kit - especially one that’s $250 less.
Pretty much any failure of that alternator is going to be on you though.
I should have gotten the upgrade alternator on my L4060 (90a). Like you, I replaced all of the incandescents with LED (except headlights) which got me down to 27a including (4) led work lights. Seems ok until you add in window defrosters and heater fan, which seems to be pushing the 60a alternator. Not really sure though since I don’t know the draw of the defroster and fan. The voltage at >1500 rpm holds at around 14.4v when I tested it, which was the same voltage with no load.
Anyway, good luck with your project whatever you decide!
RJ -- Why didn't you replace your headlights? They appear to be the same as my 2650 (I couldn't find where it specifically calls them "Headlight Bulb"). If so, I am really pleased with the LED bulbs I put in mine, they are substantially brighter than the stock incandescents and throw a nice, crisp light over a wide area and stay way cooler. $15 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QR53NS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Why manufacturers are not using LED bulbs in everything by this point is completely beyond me, they must be saving a LOT of money buying up old stock bulbs or something...

As for my sources, they are limited entirely to OTT and a couple other tractor forums. Not bulletproof by any means, but I'm inclined to trust people with more knowledge and experience than I have, and so long as the parts fit in the right places, I can't see what could really go wrong aside from not working. They all perform the same function and it seems like the same parts are commonly used across multiple models.

Thanks for the response and well wishes, hope you can find a solution to your situation as well!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
RJ -- Why didn't you replace your headlights? They appear to be the same as my 2650 (I couldn't find where it specifically calls them "Headlight Bulb"). If so, I am really pleased with the LED bulbs I put in mine, they are substantially brighter than the stock incandescents and throw a nice, crisp light over a wide area and stay way cooler. $15 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QR53NS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Why manufacturers are not using LED bulbs in everything by this point is completely beyond me, they must be saving a LOT of money buying up old stock bulbs or something...

Unfortunately, my headlight bulbs are not the same. They are similar to the standard car headlight sockets with the 3 prongs. I can’t find a definitive answer on what standard the base is, and when I do find someone who has replaced them with leds, it’s an hid setup, or something expensive with power supplies and coolers.
With my led worklights, I really don’t need headlights at all... but leds would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Alright, so I went ahead and placed an order for the B7324 kit from http://www.colemanequip.com on 07-18. The product page listed a "lead time of "2-5 days". Hearing other people waiting for months had me skeptical, but I gave it a couple weeks without any notification before calling in to check the status yesterday. Learned that it will take until the end of November just to ship from Kubota to their warehouse. Awesome. I'm now back to looking for the $463 B2655 90a kit recommended by dealer, but have so far been unable to find it available at all, much less cheaper.

Guess I'll have PLENTY of time to get the lights mounted to my satisfaction...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Search on the forum for one wire Denso alternators. Topic has been explained in detail many times.

35 amp version for about $60.

Denso is a prominent electronic manufacturer. Even GM uses them in place of Delco on some vehicles.

You can add a voltage display which is completely independent of the alternator and costs less than $10
Dave

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Alright, so the projected delivery time frame of early November was as accurate as it was inconvenient. Just arrived Friday. I laid everything out and looked over the instructions...

I must admit to being confused, I can't figure out what "Part B" is supposed to be plugging into? Is that supposed to be the starter? I don't see any such + wire stack in line with the harness. Also, I was able to figure out that one end of the harness plugs into the included relay, but am at a loss as to where the other terminal plugs into (part C).

I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance, but this is my first foray into vehicular electronics so I'm not sure what is supposed to be going where. Any insight would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Part B is the starter, there is one wire on it now, you add the 2 wires from the new harness to it creating the wire stack.

Part C will be a connection under the dash, maybe the original regulator or ???, just look for the matching connection, you will possibly need to disconnect an original connection the now obsolete original wiring.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why not just gp with a one wire Delco on Denso alternator and fab up the brackets?

Did that many times on cars in the past 40 and 60 amp units are cheap.

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Part B is the starter, there is one wire on it now, you add the 2 wires from the new harness to it creating the wire stack.

Part C will be a connection under the dash, maybe the original regulator or ???, just look for the matching connection, you will possibly need to disconnect an original connection the now obsolete original wiring.
Ah, thank you Wolfman! I was confused because the illustration showed 3 wires total, there was only one there and one on the harness. I guess that's just the other model tractor. I found what seems to be the other plug, which was plugged into the rectifier. All of the extra wires threw me off as there was only 2 on the new harness, so I assume that's just specific for the rectifier. Alright, guess I'll give this a shot now... Thanks again!

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Why not just gp with a one wire Delco on Denso alternator and fab up the brackets?

Did that many times on cars in the past 40 and 60 amp units are cheap.
Sidecar - because I wanted to avoid identifying and buying each individual component so I just bought a kit. I'm new to alternators and this stuff. I'm great with electronics and residential wiring, but I don't want to learn through catastrophic failure on this particular skill so I'm trying to keep it simple... I'll save the trial and error on one of my old trucks, heh. Also I had to spend my new welder budget on a new HVAC system, 2 water heaters and 900 sf of flooring so my fabrication abilities are... Lacking. Thanks for the tip, though!

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
All, I can confirm that the alternator kit that Sodark posted from Coleman works perfectly on a 2019 B2650. I ordered the kit from this link ALT KIT (B7324) | Coleman Equipment.

I had anticipated the kit taking a very long time to ship as others have mentioned but I was lucky. My alternator kit showed up about 10 calendar days after ordering it and it actually beat my new B2650's arrival by a week. I installed the kit about four hours after bringing the B2650 home from the dealership and everything went very smoothly. Just for kicks, here's a pict of the new alternator installed next to the factory dynamo:

You can see the new electrical harness in the distance. My kit came with every part I needed and several more that I did not. As other's have mentioned, this took about an hour but I could do it in 35-45 minutes a second time.

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Glad you had a similar experience! And I'm pretty jealous of the ship time, that's amazing. I don't think I've ever had to wait for a product that long after ordering in my life. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever since the install. I installed a voltmeter to monitor the system with different combinations of lights on and so far am unable to outpace the alternator even with them all on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My dealer has cardboard boxes full of alternators he bought in a lot from Kubota.

I suspect they were taken off recalled tractors who needed alternator upgrades to power the pcv heaters some models needed.

If someone has a specific request, I do not mind asking.

Dave

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
My dealer has cardboard boxes full of alternators he bought in a lot from Kubota.

I suspect they were taken off recalled tractors who needed alternator upgrades to power the pcv heaters some models needed.

If someone has a specific request, I do not mind asking.

Dave
I wonder of those were B3350s... I would have purchased a B3350 if it weren't for all the issues.