Bolt On Hooks on 2356 Bucket

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Happy Independence Day!

I'm spending what will likely be the majority of the day attempting to install Ken's Bolt On Hooks to my B2650 with a 2356 bucket w/SSQA. I've been scouring YouTube and the internet but can't find anything regarding the installation with this particular bucket. This B2366 has a reenforcment bar on about 80% of the top of the top of the bucket, right where I would ideally be placing the hook and clevis mounts (1 each on both sides). I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to move them to the very edges of the bucket, which would be far from "in line with the loader arms" as everyone says is important. Hoping someone here has tackled this or a similar situation and could share their experience and solution... Ken was extremely helpful in fixing the order fiasco I created and I'm hesitant to bother him further unless necessary and I'm sure he's not working today anyway. Any advice or insight would be hugely appreciated. Need these ASAP to pull fence posts by this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cobraone

Equipment
B2650, G1800 FWS, B2782B snow blower, RC48G20 mower deck
Jan 27, 2018
Boyne City, Michigan
Re: Bolt On Hooks on B2366 Bucket

Happy Independence Day!

I'm spending what will likely be the majority of the day attempting to install Ken's Bolt On Hooks to my B2650 with a B2366 bucket w/SSQA. I've been scouring YouTube and the internet but can't find anything regarding the installation with this particular bucket. This B2366 has a reenforcment bar on about 80% of the top of the top of the bucket, right where I would ideally be placing the hook and clevis mounts (1 each on both sides). I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to move them to the very edges of the bucket, which would be far from "in line with the loader arms" as everyone says is important. Hoping someone here has tackled this or a similar situation and could share their experience and solution... Ken was extremely helpful in fixing the order fiasco I created and I'm hesitant to bother him further unless necessary and I'm sure he's not working today anyway. Any advice or insight would be hugely appreciated. Need these ASAP to pull fence posts by this weekend!

Sodark, I took advantage of the reinforcement lip and drilled through both pieces, I***8217;m trying to send pictures

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Sodark, we work everyday LOL, I wish you would have sent an email!

On some Kubota buckets, it common for the holes to pass through both pieces of steel or even only partially through the one underneath. The main issue is some inconsistencies in these buckets unfortunately. Sometimes moving the hook location fore or aft a bit can help.

If you take look at this pic, you'll see that the hole must be splitting the seem. Since the top plate is 1/4" thick, no strength is compromised.

Please call tomorrow if you still have questions...

Attachments

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US

Hey Ken! Thank you for the response! I'm hesitant to bother people that treat me well beyond a reasonable point and felt I already dragged you to that line, lol. Yeah at first I thought it would work out fine going through both plates, but as I lined it up, it appeared as though the bolt would go nearly dead center through the edge of the lower plate. My concern is that only half of the back bolt/washer would be in contact with steel, with a ~3/16" gap on the other half. I'm no engineer, but seems like that would be a fail point? I looked around for a similarly sized spacer of some sort but came up empty. I did manage to get the Clevis mounts on inside the bucket as I'd hoped. Having huge hands was once again counter-productive to this goal, but the skin has grown back every time in my experience... If nothing else I can at least use those until I get this figured out.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

You have to put things in perspective. Your loader can lift about 800 to 1000 pounds right? Even if only half of the washer and nut is supported, your still not going to have any issues. 100% ideal no, but perfectly functional.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast

I just installed these hooks on that same bucket. After playing with different positions, I decided it best to put them directly in-line with the loader arms, even though I would not have easy access from below to tighten the nut. I worked from the outside in, applied blue thread adhesive, stuck a box wrench down into the opening, and tightened from the top. The washed between the nut and the reinforcing strip spans the slight gap and provides a movement-free hold.

I will take pics if you want them but I have already pulled stumps and skidded logs from the woods with this setup and there is no play in the hooks. I am happy I put them right in-line with the loader arms despite the challenge of attaching them there.

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US

Alright, well I followed Kenny's direction and Charlie's example. Seems to have worked out well enough, so far. I also used Loctite threadlocker. Red, actually, because if it's not overkill, you're not doing it enough. Managed to pull out about 5 of the first 8 vinyl fence posts some satanic meth-head nazi scientist filled with concrete. Called it a night when the last one I tried just destroyed all the laterals and bucked my ride hard enough to spill my beer. BUT... The hooks held. I am very much pleased. Thanks everyone for the help, and thanks again Kenny for the fine product and excellent service and support!

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Excellent Sodark, glad to hear everything worked out and you got your project completed-sorry to hear about the beer ;). You could, if you wanted, cut some thick washers in half to fill that space, but now with the RED loctite you might have an issue loosening the bolts unless you use some heat.

Still not understanding why some think loctite or any threadlocker is needed with nylock nuts :confused:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kenny, you mention "Still not understanding why some think loctite or any threadlocker is needed with nylock nuts."

We Americans are weird! We believe if "this much" is good, then more has to be better. So we tend to overdo most everything.

I was burying a water line in a 100 deg day. I was laying on my stomach reaching as far as I could tightening a PVC coupling to complete the project. I had a pipe wrench to hold the fitting and a big plumbers pliers to tighten the nut. I had it snug, but I said to myself....just a little more. Yep, it cracked the nut and I had to go to town to get another one!

I think it's a disease we get somewhere.:D:D:D

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast

We always love pictures Charlie :D

Why did you add locktite when we supply the nylock nuts?
My install looks just like Sodark's, including the gap spanned by the washer. Your idea of grinding another washer to fill the gap is clever but I haven't noticed any weakness so far and I have pulled stumps and rocks, and skidded logs.

As for the thread locker.... I ended up using regular nuts, not the nylock ones since I um.... lost them.:eek:

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky

Alright, well I followed Kenny's direction and Charlie's example. Seems to have worked out well enough, so far. I also used Loctite threadlocker. Red, actually, because if it's not overkill, you're not doing it enough. Managed to pull out about 5 of the first 8 vinyl fence posts some satanic meth-head nazi scientist filled with concrete. Called it a night when the last one I tried just destroyed all the laterals and bucked my ride hard enough to spill my beer. BUT... The hooks held. I am very much pleased. Thanks everyone for the help, and thanks again Kenny for the fine product and excellent service and support!

Thank you for taking these pictures! I'm looking to install hooks on my B2650 as well and having issues trying to figure out which ones to get. I want your setup, exactly. I assume you're still happy with the setup and no issues?

Would you mind taking a picture looking at the top of the bucket, please? I'd like to see where you placed them on the bucket.

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Sure GK527, I probably won't be home until after dark tomorrow, but I'll try to remember to take a couple pictures when I get a chance. And yes, I'm completely happy with them so far. I've been pulling fence posts out with the hooks, but haven't used the Clevis mounts yet, though I'm confident they'll prove to be equally effective and useful.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Sure GK527, I probably won't be home until after dark tomorrow, but I'll try to remember to take a couple pictures when I get a chance. And yes, I'm completely happy with them so far. I've been pulling fence posts out with the hooks, but haven't used the Clevis mounts yet, though I'm confident they'll prove to be equally effective and useful.

I’m curious if the bucket is equally as strong where you placed the clevis as it is where the hooks are.

Could a back plate fit where the clevis is mounted for added strength?

And thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The best thing about stuff that bolts on is that they are easy to remove and keep to put on something different if you ever want to.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I’m curious if the bucket is equally as strong where you placed the clevis as it is where the hooks are.

Could a back plate fit where the clevis is mounted for added strength?

And thanks again.

Those larger washers are really acting as the "backing plate" - another reason that I think "bolt ons" are a wee bit better than weld ons in the grand scheme of things.

A gazzilian hooks have been welded and I bet the failure rate is less than 1% over the life of the bucket. But the heat and small surface area makes that particular spot a "weak" one. I have seen a few, just a few metal buckets crack - not ON THE WELD but the perimeter of the weld. I would hate to see what the operator WAS doing when that happened!:eek:

Those larger washers acting as backing plates are providing a good bit more surface area on the bucket (guessing those have an OD of 1.25? - thus a contact patch of almost 8 sq in. for both), so any crazy force applied to it will be spread out further across a wider area. And as Ed said, ifn you want to change out to something else .....your holes are already drilled for you:D:)

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky

Hello. Just wanted to check and see if you took those pictures yet. Thanks again.