Total brush hog renovation

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I bought a 48" King Kutter brush hog from my neighbor last fall for almost nothing, and this was my winter time project. Finally getting it done and posting it. It was pretty beat up and the back panel was almost hitting the blades. I hooked it up and ran it last fall to make sure the gear box was good, and it was quiet and no leaks with a slight sign of moisture in the gear box, also had an almost new pto shaft, so with that I decided to fix it up during the winter as I have time and wanted a brush hog for around my property. It was in pretty rough shape and needed the back panel cut out and a new one welded in which is something I have never done, but decided to tackle it and learn.

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
On this model, you have to pull the stump jumper and blades as a unit to get them off. I had a hell of a time getting them off!! Had a 6 ton jack and chains rapped around the blades with heat and couldnt get it to budge. Cut the stump jumper and blades off and could get a puller on with an impact and heat and still wouldnt budge. Finally sliced the collar going over the gear box shaft to relieve it and got it to come off after 4hrs!!

View attachment 36739

View attachment 36740

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hey moderators. Maybe you can help. In the past I would up load pics and have to take in windows photo program rotate my uploaded pics 90 degrees right and they would be good when I up loaded them to the site. New computer and doing the same thing and does not make them right side up like they should be. Still 90 degrees off to the left. If you can rotate the ones I have loaded great or tell me what I need to do to fix it on my end. Thanks.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you did a really nice job on this & cant wait to see it in person!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
you did a really nice job on this & cant wait to see it in person!
I have all the rest of the pics showing it to the end I want to post, but trying to figure out how to get the pics upright when I post them from my new computer. Same windows 10, worked on the old one, I could rotate them but the new one even though I rotate them it doesnt change.. Thats why I stopped. Hopefully a moderator can help. Sdk 1968 really enjoyed getting to know you the last couple days. When you said I should check out OTT I I couldnt believe we were both on there. I have things in motion with Fastenal. Will keep you updated.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
same here fellow Buckeye!

good to get to know you & looking forward to this.

lets try this with your pic.

edit note: ok i use the windows picture manager software thats in windows10... i open it in edit mode, go to rotate, move it & then go hit save.

thats all i did to this pic you had posted.

Attachments

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
same here fellow Buckeye!

good to get to know you & looking forward to this.

lets try this with your pic.

edit note: ok i use the windows picture manager software thats in windows10... i open it in edit mode, go to rotate, move it & then go hit save.

thats all i did to this pic you had posted.
Hay sdk 1968. Thats exactly what I did with my old windows 10 picture manager. They would come up 90 degrees left, rotate right and save and all would be good. Post to OTT and would be perfect. My new desk top is windows 10 and pics show up straight up unlike the old one, posted them, 90 degrees off. Rotated 90 degrees and saved and posted, still 90 degrees off. The new windows picture manager is different than the old one, still trying to find an answer. Havent had much time, but next rain day will dig in.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Hay sdk 1968. Thats exactly what I did with my old windows 10 picture manager. They would come up 90 degrees left, rotate right and save and all would be good. Post to OTT and would be perfect. My new desk top is windows 10 and pics show up straight up unlike the old one, posted them, 90 degrees off. Rotated 90 degrees and saved and posted, still 90 degrees off. The new windows picture manager is different than the old one, still trying to find an answer. Havent had much time, but next rain day will dig in.
Try rotating, then changing the size, then save as. When I was posting pics and was having trouble getting them to post in the correct position I think that is what worked for me. I used Paint to alter the pictures.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Try rotating, then changing the size, then save as. When I was posting pics and was having trouble getting them to post in the correct position I think that is what worked for me. I used Paint to alter the pictures.
Ok Thanks I will try that

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Nice work on the back plate! Working with thinner metal is challenging enough but then add in rusty thin stuff and burn through becomes easy. You have good eyes my friend! (Your eyes are better than my arthritic neck looking at those pictures...hee, hee, hee!)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Nice work on the back plate! Working with thinner metal is challenging enough but then add in rusty thin stuff and burn through becomes easy. You have good eyes my friend! (Your eyes are better than my arthritic neck looking at those pictures...hee, hee, hee!)
Hey thanks Yooper. It is funny about the eyes. Some days they work good and can run nice passes, other days not so much! Gotta love getting old!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
im getting excited & cant wait to put this baby to work on my trails!

& yes your welding looks VERY nice.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
im getting excited & cant wait to put this baby to work on my trails!

& yes your welding looks VERY nice.
Thanks. Looking forward to meeting you. See you Wednesday.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
picked this baby up from Rkidd & his lovely Wife this morning.

it was great to get to meet a fellow member in person & i chatterboxed him to death in the heat.

looking forward to more interactions with Rkidd as we do run the same path of highway a good bit.

the work is as good as it looks in the pix & ill post some pix of it in action this weekend as i take it out into the rough woods & put some scuffs on it.

:D :D :D dont cringe Rkidd! thats why you built it.

s

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
picked this baby up from Rkidd & his lovely Wife this morning.

it was great to get to meet a fellow member in person & i chatterboxed him to death in the heat.

looking forward to more interactions with Rkidd as we do run the same path of highway a good bit.

the work is as good as it looks in the pix & ill post some pix of it in action this weekend as i take it out into the rough woods & put some scuffs on it.

:D :D :D dont cringe Rkidd! thats why you built it.

s

Hey skd1968. We got to play Fastenenal delivery this week!! As you said it is really good to meet another OTT member. It would be good if possible to do it more often. It was really good to meet you and your wife and daughter. For everyone else, I brought the brushhog down on a trailer on a pallet and he brought his tractor with forks to make the switch. When I saw his forks I remembered his post on his home made forks. Very nicely done. Very good to talk tractors and implements, but our wives were hot as it was very hot and muggy, kept going back in to Cracker Barrel and buying stuff. I finally had to leave as mine had the truck full and was eyeing the trailer!!

NIW. I still have not heard back from Fastenal. I havent had time yet, but will call supervision there and report back as I said I would.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
& here is Rons handy work after i ran it thru my woods & put some scrapes on it...

its a very smooth running hog & looks the right size behind the 4010.

Attachments

LwhiteAH64

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525, LP RCF2060, LP BB1260, Yanmar 220 Diesel w/KK 60 Rotary Cutter
Jul 16, 2018
Dade City, Fl
Great job!!!! Looks awesome.
I have a KK 60" cutter that I inherited from my father. I had to replace the gearbox bolts because a couple had fell out. My dad would just keep checking the torque on the 2 remaining and kept going. :eek:
The gearbox shaft that the stump jumper and blades go on is a tapered shaft with a square key. Man, if you didn't hold your mouth just right, it wasn't coming off or on.
Again, Looks awesome!!!!

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Its always encouraging when someone brings back to life an implement rather than sell for scrap. There is a point where one has to draw a line regarding cost versus benefit/value, but i usually fail finding the break point.

Good Job