3rd function installed, now questions

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Recently I just had the factory Kubota 3rd function valve installed on my B2650. Looks great but I can't try it out until I get my grapple in.

My question for the seasoned pro's is how should the electronics be connected? I need to verify but it seems that my dealer installed the switch to constant power instead of keyed power. Shouldn't it be on keyed power?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Keyed power as you call it is better IMHO, but the reality is since it's a momentary switch it doesn't really matter. Having it powered all the time will make it easier to relieve pressure in the lines without having to have the key on, so there is really no right or wrong here.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I just recently installed the factory third function assembly on my L4240. I hooked the electrical up to keyed power. I will probably change it. As Kennyd4110 mentioned, you have to turn the key back on to relax the thumb. I find that to be a nuisance. From hard experience, I also agree with Volsfan; make sure all your connections are tight. The installation manual recommends keeping everything loose until the end, which is a recipe to forget.

Volsfan

Sep 7, 2014
Cleveland,Tennessee
Mine is key powered also. Just saving up for a grapple. These little buckets just don't scoop up brush very well. I can see that a small grapple would be awesome for light brush work. I'm pretty impressed with how the EA wicked 54 looks.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Mine is key powered also. Just saving up for a grapple. These little buckets just don't scoop up brush very well. I can see that a small grapple would be awesome for light brush work. I'm pretty impressed with how the EA wicked 54 looks.
That's just the one I ordered! Did not have it in stock so its being fabricated.

As for the comments of keyed or not, I don't know how much power it draws when you're not opening either solenoid but I'm concerned about leaving the circuit energized and coming back a week or two later to a dead tractor. I'll gladly live with a little nuisance knowing that when I pull the key, everything is OFF.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
" I'll gladly live with a little nuisance knowing that when I pull the key, everything is OFF."

Good point. You have a button on your stalk that turns power on and off. If you feel you are likely to forget it, key powered off is best. Otherwise, key powered on should work nicely.