Tire Ballast

fleminj2pa

Equipment
2012 M7040; 2012 L5740
Sep 17, 2014
Butler, PA
Can anyone tell me the specific reason that Kubota, in their Owner's Manual for the M7040, indicates that ballast should not be added to the front tires? I've discussed this with lifelong farmers, tractor owners and experienced agricultural tire dealers and no one seems to be able to come up with a good reason why they have this disclaimer in their manual.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If I were to guess, the bearings or the pivot isn't made for the extra weight but that seems silly as it should handle massive weight up front there.

The normal logic is to put weight in the tires and on the rims to not have it put weight on the pivot and axles, which is what suitcase weights do to a tractor.

Now the Dealer filled my rears on my L3200 but not my fronts saying the small amount of extra weight didn't accomplish much and if I needed extra weight up there, just leave the loader on.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can anyone tell me the specific reason that Kubota, in their Owner's Manual for the M7040, indicates that ballast should not be added to the front tires? I've discussed this with lifelong farmers, tractor owners and experienced agricultural tire dealers and no one seems to be able to come up with a good reason why they have this disclaimer in their manual.

weight on the front is not that important, a loader will supply weight if needed, weight ON the moving parts are not really a concern, the weight by loading the tires does not strain the axle.....because none of the weight is supported BY the machine but rather the tire.....now steering is where the weight comes in, you have to TURN those loaded tires!

most added weight is to the nose of the tractor, thus increasing weight and pressure on the pivot and axle and it too works on the forearms!

fleminj2pa

Equipment
2012 M7040; 2012 L5740
Sep 17, 2014
Butler, PA
I appreciate the interesting speculation, much of which brings up good points. However, what I'm trying to understand is the actual reason Kubota added this to their Operator's Manual. When I read it and talk to many experienced operators as well as Ag tire technicians it becomes even more puzzling that no one has a clue why they would state that front tires should not be ballasted. Quite frankly, I smell the house lawyers at work here. I am of the opinion that this is something that legal made them insert into the manual for liability purposes. That's all well and good but in my opinion, bad information is bad information even it it helps the corporation shield itself from lawsuits.:mad:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I really cant see any benefit whatsoever by adding ballast to the front wheels.
It pivots at the centre point on axle,by the time the back gets high enough to bottom out front axle stops im guessing its almost too late.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I also have wondered about this. I think it has to do with the cushion in the tires - if you fill them you lose most of it. Without that cushion, every clump or rock you hit is a heck of a jolt to the front axle drive and steering parts. SOMETHING has to give! Better it be the tire... Front end suitcase weights, or the FEL does not diminish the pillow effect given by the large volume of air.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I'll just toss my 2cents in, perhaps its because the front tires take so much of a beating when traveling that they need to be as flexible as possible. I don't know just a thought

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'll just toss my 2cents in, perhaps its because the front tires take so much of a beating when traveling that they need to be as flexible as possible. I don't know just a thought
Actually Skeets, it is more that because the front tires flex so much from turning that if you run tubes in your tire to load them, the tubes can't stand the extra friction and will wear holes in them. When tractor manufacturers started putting FWA (Front Wheel Assist) as the early 4 wheel drive tractors like Kubota has on the market, loading the front tires is what many dealers did for extra weight to counterbalance heavy 3pt hitch loads and extra traction. We had a couple on the farm like that, and the front tires were always going flat from tube failure. It is also a problem with radial rear tires on larger tractors using tubes for loading. On side hills with a lot of sidewall flexing, we would have many flats. Solution to the problem is use more steel weights.

fleminj2pa

Equipment
2012 M7040; 2012 L5740
Sep 17, 2014
Butler, PA
Actually Skeets, it is more that because the front tires flex so much from turning that if you run tubes in your tire to load them, the tubes can't stand the extra friction and will wear holes in them. When tractor manufacturers started putting FWA (Front Wheel Assist) as the early 4 wheel drive tractors like Kubota has on the market, loading the front tires is what many dealers did for extra weight to counterbalance heavy 3pt hitch loads and extra traction. We had a couple on the farm like that, and the front tires were always going flat from tube failure. It is also a problem with radial rear tires on larger tractors using tubes for loading. On side hills with a lot of sidewall flexing, we would have many flats. Solution to the problem is use more steel weights.
These tires are tubeless and loaded with rim guard which is non-corrosive and does not require the addition of a tube.