gf1800 newbie: Tire Chains

wergy

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 16, 2014
Duluth, MN
Hello everyone!! I'm new owner of a GF1800 an it will be used for snow blowing duty in a hilly urban area. It has turf tires on it and I would like to put chain on it. Problem being that while chains will work fine on the back tires the front tires may have a clearance problem. Has anyone used chains on this model?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello everyone!! I'm new owner of a GF1800 an it will be used for snow blowing duty in a hilly urban area. It has turf tires on it and I would like to put chain on it. Problem being that while chains will work fine on the back tires the front tires may have a clearance problem. Has anyone used chains on this model?

what is the clearance when the blower or deck is in the way? got a picture?

wergy

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 16, 2014
Duluth, MN
I'm not exactly sure of the clearance but I think it's less than 2". I'm at the lake right now and won't be back until Thursday. I have attached a picture and you can see where the problems is.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Cable type chains. Trim fenders.lower hydrostatic drives.studded tires(screws like the ice racers use)studs cost roughly $1.00 apiece.
Light chains may fit too, just have to keep them tight.

Im dreading the white season already. No warm winter vacation this year either.

Last edited:

wergy

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 16, 2014
Duluth, MN
Thanks Tooljunkie. I know I can do the snow blowing on the level but I'm really worried about the hills. When the roads are snow and ice covered I know I'll need more traction than the turf tires can provide. For people who are not familiar with Duluth it has some very steep
roads. Last winter was very bad and I want to be prepared!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks Tooljunkie. I know I can do the snow blowing on the level but I'm really worried about the hills. When the roads are snow and ice covered I know I'll need more traction than the turf tires can provide. For people who are not familiar with Duluth it has some very steep
roads. Last winter was very bad and I want to be prepared!!

this is an older post that you might want to look at on the subject:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12847&highlight=tapcons

wergy

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 16, 2014
Duluth, MN
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I going to try loading the tires and tire chains. The front tire chains will be a tight fit but it may have enough clearance. Has any one used a GF1800 to blow snow. I would like to know what to expect!