Post holes with a BH?

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
Hey folks.

So I'm still a pretty new BX owner. However I've gotten pretty good with my BH, to the point that I can get a pretty decent vertical hole by carefully pivoting the bucket and going straight down.

I have some major (at least for me) fence work. Probably about 200 feet of fencing.

I've considered buying a 3 point post hole auger. I've also been considering just using my BH (with maybe a smaller bucket, like the bxpanded trenching bucket) to dig the holes manually.

My concerns about an auger are twofold. One is much of the fence is going to be on not level ground. And I'm not sure I will always be able to position the tractor in such a way that I could get the auger vertical to drill down.

The second is my soil. The soil in my area is very rough. Alot of it is shale, so imagine shale on an angle. When I built my addition I had rented a skid steer with an auger bit to drill the post foundations. I had one that I ended up having to get the inspector to sign off on because I couldn't get it to the right depth. I broke off 2 teeth on the auger trying to get through my hard soil.

I know a BH hole will be larger than necessary, which would waste concrete. I can't thinkg of any other real downsides however. But since I'm new to this I figured I would ask in case everyone here could think of something I'm missing?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
You could always use the BH to dig, and use some sonnet tubes, for concrete. If your ground is solid enough, you can just back fill around the posts with the soil, and just water it down solid.

Last edited:

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
You could always use the BH to dig, and use some sonnet tubes, for concrete. If your ground is solid enough, you can. Ackfill around the posts with the soil, and just water it down solid.
Excellent point. There were some fence sections when we bought the house that weren't even set in concrete. The soil here is crazy solid

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have enough fence post to justify it, you can get some "screenings" for the rock quarry. It's the cheapest product they sell and has a lot of lime dust in it. When it gets wet it pretty much sets up like concrete.

You could have it delivered and dumped in a pile and then use your bucket to get some to each hole.

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
If you have enough fence post to justify it, you can get some "screenings" for the rock quarry. It's the cheapest product they sell and has a lot of lime dust in it. When it gets wet it pretty much sets up like concrete.

You could have it delivered and dumped in a pile and then use your bucket to get some to each hole.
Or I could put it in my dump trailer :D

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana

My dad and grandpa would drill the hole, throw in a couple inches of crushed limestone, set the post in and fill the holes with more limestone, tamping it as they went to pack it in tight. The gravel helps the water drain away from the post to prevent rot.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The post I use at the farm can be set in anything from dirt to concrete and they last 100 years! Their Osage Orange, also know as Hedge. Their hard as steel when dried. Will sometimes make a chain saw chain spark when cutting.

If you have a post that is more apt to decay, often times installers will put some loose rock a couple of inches deep at the bottom of the post hole to allow water to escape and not be able to set there.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I had to dig all my neighbors fence post holes with my 16" backhoe bucket due to all the roots and rocks we have here. This left a large hole, he used some 10" diameter carboard concrete form tube from home depot, cut into maybe 16 inch lengths, stuck those in the hole, we back filled around them with dirt, presto perfectly centered round hole for the fence post and concrete. ;) He was installing that black chain link fence and black fence posts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-10-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470006/100350260

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Excellent point. There were some fence sections when we bought the house that weren't even set in concrete. The soil here is crazy solid
I know the ground here is so full of gravel and drains so good, I can pack poles in the ground, tamp and water them, and they hold just fine with no concrete

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have nothing but gravel here, so that was a major factor in buying the BH attachment. I have a couple hundred feet of fencing to put up too, but I am going to put in 2" iron pipe for posts.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OP. Rent a Dingo. Use the right tool for the job. It's save you lots of time and wear and tear.

I often rented one when I had very large tree jobs to do. Even though I had a small backhoe, a dingo with a 30" auger just can't be beat.

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
OP. Rent a Dingo. Use the right tool for the job. It's save you lots of time and wear and tear.

I often rented one when I had very large tree jobs to do. Even though I had a small backhoe, a dingo with a 30" auger just can't be beat.
Yea no. I mean if I was going to knock it all out in a weekend maybe. But the project timeline would necessitate renting multiple times.

Digging the hole with a BH (the BX bucket isn't all that big) and back filling after putting in a sleeve for the concrete (great idea everyone!) won't be that much slower, especially when factoring in pickup and dropoff of a rental.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I wasn't implying that you need a 30" auger. You can get them in many different diameters. Anyway, good luck with your project.

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
I wasn't implying that you need a 30" auger. You can get them in many different diameters. Anyway, good luck with your project.
I get that. However as in my OP my concern with any auger is that the last time I did rent a bobcat with an auger even it failed on some holes being unable to get deep enough because my ground is so hard and rocky.

If I went the auger route I'd buy a 3 point auger, as it would ultimately be cheaper than renting since I'd prolly have to rent several times during the course of the project.

I apologize if I was sounding dismissive, not my intention and appreciate the comments/ideas.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The post hole diggers I have used have swiveled plumb. If you position the tractor in line with the fence it should dig straight. At least that is my experience.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have a 9 inch auger hooked to the 3 point PHD and it works great even in this rocky ground here. Once the ground was marked, I was able to punch 36 holes in about an hour and a half. The BX auger only goes about 28-30 inches down. To run a long fence line, the PHD is much quicker, If I was just digging a couple holes, the backhoe would be fine. It takes longer to change out the backhoe to 3 point digger than to dig and set a couple posts.

Last edited: