Broken scalp wheel mount

rossba11

Equipment
bx 2370
Jun 15, 2018
carmichaels pa
Hey guys,
New to the forum: My problem is my tractor has had a problem since new. The left front deck wheel mount, broke the first summer I used it. The weld broke where the round part that the height adjuster is.
The dealer attempted to weld it, but it broke again a month later.(Bad weld)
They tried welding it again, and it finally broke completely off today. Now for the good part, the dealer went out of business and I now have to do business with a dealer 35 miles away. They told me if it has been welded twice already, it can not be welded again because the metal is weak. they told me I can cut the existing bracket off and they have a replacement fix that bolts on with 4 bolts.

Has anyone ever heard of this fix before? Also, what is the proper distance between the scalp wheel and the ground? Book says 1/2 inch:confused:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Ross. You came to the right place to get answers.

Since the dealer had the fix already, it sounds like it is a known problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Find a real welder. It can be fixed. A stiffener added if the welder feels it is necessary.

I think if you look at a new one or an unbroken one, you will find a weld only on one side of the metal joint.

The manufacturers think everyone has a perfectly smooth lawn and further never hit anything with the wheel.

There are mobile welding services which come to your place. Benefit, when they come they will fix it right away. Downside it will cost more than dropping it at a welding shop. At the welding shop it is likely to sit for a while. The mobile welder will help you weld it at the correct height.

The easier access you can provide the welder the better the weld you will get.

Today's mig welders make everyone think they can weld. Often all they can do is lay a smooth bead ontop of the joint with no serious penetration.

Dave

rossba11

Equipment
bx 2370
Jun 15, 2018
carmichaels pa
Thanks for the help! I work at a housing complex that is 3 1/2 acre garden style property. Lots of sidewalks, trees and roots. Usually go through 3 sets of wheels on the front of the deck every summer.
Is the 1/2 inch clearance correct?

rossba11

Equipment
bx 2370
Jun 15, 2018
carmichaels pa
Purchased the replacement bracket today. $135 ..They told me they are side specific and they had them fabricated. I don't see how the right would differ from the left

bracket.jpg

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I am also interested in a photo when installed... I broke off the wheel mount on one of my ZD mowers several years ago. I can’t weld to save my life, but that one weld was the only one I’ve ever done practically perfect.
My ZD mower manuals say the scalp wheels should be adjusted to 3/4” off the ground when the deck is lowered to the cutting position. I would imagine you would mount the new bracket with the lower edge of the hollow shaft at the same level as the other side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I see this stuff too often on residential mowers. Guys use the wheels for setting the cutting height, in other words, the wheels ride the ground constantly-and for some decks, they aren't designed to. I can't remember if the BX decks are supposed to be ON the ground, or just above. There is usually a sticker on the side of the deck that states how it's designed to run. I know my G1900 is a ground-riding deck and I don't like it for that reason, but love everything else about it so I'm going to just deal with it. Besides my yard isn't a "manicured" yard whatsoever...in fact...I'd just as soon cut it when I can't see the mower through the weeds but not until then.

rossba11

Equipment
bx 2370
Jun 15, 2018
carmichaels pa
I purchased the mower from Allegheny outdoor power equipment. They closed last year. Now I have to drive to Washington, pa for parts and service.
As for the other post about the deck wheels riding on the ground, the answer is no. Manual says 1/2 inch clearance. Guy at the part counter said you should be able to run your fingers under the wheel.
I cut the old bracket off with a sawzall and then used the grinder to remove the weld. Installed the new bracket. When I put the wheel in, the hole for the adjustment pin is in the wrong position. When you line up the holes, the wheel is at a 22 1/2 angle. The wheel would drag instead of roll. They told me since they had them fabricated, all the ones they have are wrong.
Hope to find time tomorrow to drill new hole in proper place. Will post a pic

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
BX Manual states "on level ground, set cutting height with the height adjuster knob on the floor, set rollers to @1/4" off level floor."
Don't use rollers to bear the weight of the deck hitting obstacles, wheels can break.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The manufacturers are always changing the way the wheels are to work.

We have two different Cub Cadet models in our family. Their decks have 4 casters. The casters have grease fittings and bronze bushings. The deck is to be supported by the casters when cutting.

Dave

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
my old cub was the same way and to be honest I really liked it like that I don't like the hanging deck,I dont know why I just dont

AverageJoeNY

Equipment
2018 Kubota BX23S
Jun 21, 2020
Geneseo, New York
Purchased the replacement bracket today. $135 ..They told me they are side specific and they had them fabricated. I don't see how the right would differ from the left

View attachment 31880
Hello,

I know this is an old post; however, the weld on the left front anti-scalp bracket started to break away yesterday on my 2018 BX23S. I see that you are down in Pennsylvania, and I am just up the road in Western New York. Would you happen to know or have the dealer information where you purchased this aftermarket bolt-on replacement backet?

Thanks!
Joe

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes it's a post that's several years old.

Now with that said, kubota got to where they won't allow dealers to weld anything and if they did, they'd deny paying the claim. Stupid I know. So in the case of the dealer I worked at, you had to replace the component. Decks galore, we had a stack of Kommander decks, from folks that run the wheels on the ground all the time or they have really rough yards that jar the decks and wheels harshly. Those same people generally ran as fast as possible, I mean, after all they did buy a zero turn to save time right? Had a couple of BX tractors show up with a small member broken off of the frame. Yeah really easy to fix with a welder and I did fix one of them (nobody paid for it, actually I did since my commission pay would reflect it's cost), some of the others I had to replace the entire frame. The manufacturer's warranty department wouldn't let us weld anything so we had to replace stuff. Gosh you should have seen the stacks of decks laying out back. They want dealers to keep parts for 6 months after claim processing date so in 6 months time stuff just builds up. It's crazy.

so for y'all that break a wheel off and it's in warranty, go to a dealer and tell them to fix it and you'll probably get a new deck. Oh and it's not an assembly, they send a shell and then the techs have to swap all the components over, and add the proper stickers. Stickers were a sore subject. I remember at least a couple where the USA stickers (which are different than French, Spanish, etc) were on back order, and they are considered liability if they are not put on, so the rep says order the French stickers and install them and when the USA stickers show up we'll just stick them on over the French ones. Needless to say the customer wasn't happy about that. Then when any warranty repair is made the manufacturer sends a survey to the consumer. Dealer has choice as to what language the survey can be sent, and the service manager made sure to send it to him in Russian so that he wouldn't fill it out. Well guess what? Online translation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
yes it's a post that's several years old.

Now with that said, kubota got to where they won't allow dealers to weld anything and if they did, they'd deny paying the claim. Stupid I know. So in the case of the dealer I worked at, you had to replace the component. Decks galore, we had a stack of Kommander decks, from folks that run the wheels on the ground all the time or they have really rough yards that jar the decks and wheels harshly. Those same people generally ran as fast as possible, I mean, after all they did buy a zero turn to save time right? Had a couple of BX tractors show up with a small member broken off of the frame. Yeah really easy to fix with a welder and I did fix one of them (nobody paid for it, actually I did since my commission pay would reflect it's cost), some of the others I had to replace the entire frame. The manufacturer's warranty department wouldn't let us weld anything so we had to replace stuff. Gosh you should have seen the stacks of decks laying out back. They want dealers to keep parts for 6 months after claim processing date so in 6 months time stuff just builds up. It's crazy.

so for y'all that break a wheel off and it's in warranty, go to a dealer and tell them to fix it and you'll probably get a new deck. Oh and it's not an assembly, they send a shell and then the techs have to swap all the components over, and add the proper stickers. Stickers were a sore subject. I remember at least a couple where the USA stickers (which are different than French, Spanish, etc) were on back order, and they are considered liability if they are not put on, so the rep says order the French stickers and install them and when the USA stickers show up we'll just stick them on over the French ones. Needless to say the customer wasn't happy about that. Then when any warranty repair is made the manufacturer sends a survey to the consumer. Dealer has choice as to what language the survey can be sent, and the service manager made sure to send it to him in Russian so that he wouldn't fill it out. Well guess what? Online translation.
:ROFLMAO: :p:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lugbolt,…. you and NIW are two of the most helpful guys on the forum.… and that gotta-be-true story is a gem! Thx for the laugh.

egregory

Equipment
M7040, Bx2230, BX2200
Sep 24, 2021
Gadsden Al.

View attachment 31880
I know this post is several years old, but do you know if it is still possible to acquire these replacement brackets for the anti scalp wheels on a Kubota Mowing deck?