BX1850 - loader lift / bucket curl bleed down problem

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
Hello all. New to the forum and trying to figure out how to navigate so bear with me please.

I've got a 2007 Kubota BX1850 with an LA240 loader attachment.

The loader/bucket recently began losing capacity, and bleeding down. When we raise the bucket and let go of the stick, it drops a few inches and then slowly bleeds down.
Same issue with bucket curl. Bucket curl lost capacity and will also bleed down. (Bucket will dump on it's own, loader will drop on its own).

Mower deck and three point do not appear to have bleeding issue. Seems to be isolated to loader bucket.

My first task was to change the HST oil and spin on filter and clean out the mesh filter to see what I could see.
What I found when I cleaned the mesh filter was what looked like little strips of blue latex paint in it. Like what you would see when cleaning a paint brush after using it.

So I think I have a blown seal somewhere in the system, (probably a BLUE one, right?)

My first thought was that since both lift / curl functions are affected, it might be in the control valve that the joystick is connected to. That part is about $900 w/ freight, and even with schematics showing me where it is, I'm not sure I'm up to the task!

So I think some more and realize that there are only three cylinders on the loader, but there are four hydraulic lines that I hook up when connecting the loader to the tractor.

I say all of that, to ask this question:

Is one of the four hydraulic lines to the loader "common" to all three cylinders? (Two lift, one bucket curl).
My thought process is going like this: If one of the four lines is a common return line and one of the three cylinders has blown a seal....could that one cylinder not cause all three cylinders to bleed?

Is that a sound thought process? If so, any tips on determining which cylinder is bad without tearing apart/rebuilding all three?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Control valve - $900 (not sure I'm capable)
Seal kits to rebuild all three cylinders $250 (THIS I can do!)
Take it to the dealership to repair - $????.??
Orange Tractor Talks helping me figure out which direction to go? - Priceless

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's not the control valve, there are no seals in it, it's all metal to metal contact for the seal.

It is the loader cylinder seals that are bad.
The plumbing is as such one pair of lines is for the roll and curl, the other pair is for lift, the cylinders are plumbed in parallel.
On the lift it could actually be just one cylinder that has a blow/bad seal, but because of them being plumbed in parallel on bad seal effects both cylinders, still always rebuild both at the same time. ;)

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
Thank you for the reply!

Actually the loader arms will bleed down as well as the bucket curl.

Would this mean the curl cylinder is blown as well as at least one if not both of the lift cylinders?

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
Thank you! I will be sure to follow up with this thread after repairs to let the forum know the outcome!

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
I wanted to follow up and let everyone know the resolution.

Nothing is more frustrating than going to a forum trying to find help and you find a thread describing your exact problem but there's no resolution!

Re-packed all three cylinders this morning. All three cylinders had seals that had disintegrated. I'll try to post a picture.

$250 for the three seal kits and tractor is good to go now!

Thank you all for the help and steering me in the right direction!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
How many hours on the loader after it developed this problem? I have about 100 or so on an LA 203 and no problems yet. Tractor has about 530 now.

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
I would say we are in the 500 hour range on the tractor. As far as the actual hours on the loader I have no idea.

Loader is 11 years old.

wizbandit

Equipment
BX24, LA240, BH
Sep 15, 2019
TARPON SPRINGS
I just want to say thanks. My BX24 with the LA240 started having issues a few days ago, well, on Friday the 13th one of the steering hydraulic lines split and could only go left. Those are a pain to get off, just barley room to get a wrench on the fitting, I thought I was going to have to remove the flywheel but got it done. Have been replacing various hoses for a few years, it's about 15 years old. Decided to get new ones for the bucket tilt since they were sure to be the next to go, right when you need the tractor bad. Only about 12" long and $28 each so I replaced them.

The bucket started not holding the load up, slow dump over. Never changed the hydraulic fluid or filter since every blowout needed 2 gallons of fluid for the past 5 years. So today I did a total hydro filter, fluid and screen clean. I noticed blue shavings on the screen and this post told me I need to get new seals in the tilt cylinder. Might as well get the boom seals as well. The Kubota dealer I use online has them for just about $250 like the original posted said.

I decide to Google the part numbers and I found them all for $120 online and realized the place was just 5 miles from me.

Thought I would share:

Hercules Sealing Products
1016 N Belcher Rd
Clearwater
Florida
United States

wizbandit

Equipment
BX24, LA240, BH
Sep 15, 2019
TARPON SPRINGS
I wanted to follow up and let everyone know the resolution.

Nothing is more frustrating than going to a forum trying to find help and you find a thread describing your exact problem but there's no resolution!

Re-packed all three cylinders this morning. All three cylinders had seals that had disintegrated. I'll try to post a picture.

$250 for the three seal kits and tractor is good to go now!

Thank you all for the help and steering me in the right direction!
What did you use to unscrew the end off the cylinder? It looks to be like a notched bung-hole type wrench... I could use a pipe wrench but don't want to damage the cap...

keggertx

Equipment
BX1850, LA420
Jun 9, 2018
Conroe, TX
I ended up using a pipe wrench as you suggested. They came apart surprisingly easy with little to no damage. Maybe a little tooth mark on them, but nothing major.

Johnny Tractor

Equipment
BX24 Bx25
Jul 13, 2021
AZ
I ended up using a pipe wrench as you suggested. They came apart surprisingly easy with little to no damage. Maybe a little tooth mark on them, but nothing major.
Another question if you are still around. Did you need any specialty tools to replace the seals inside?

I ordered the it today. 200 bucks at the dealer but spent an hour online and found it for 60. Kinda pricey for some rubber rings but I got worn out looking for options.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Another question if you are still around. Did you need any specialty tools to replace the seals inside?

I ordered the it today. 200 bucks at the dealer but spent an hour online and found it for 60. Kinda pricey for some rubber rings but I got worn out looking for options.
You shouldn't need any special tools for the piston seals. The WSM shows some expanders, but you need one for each size piston, and I've never seen anyone on here say they used them. If yours have plastic rings, you can heat them in hot water to make them go on easier.
There are tools available (eBay, Amazon?) to make installing the rod seals easier, but you can do it without them. You have to sort of fold them up. Make sure you put them in with the open side toward the inside of the cylinder.
Make sure the grooves are clean before you install the new rings, and be careful not to nick them.