Adding ballast via free weights...

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
Looking for some advice on adding free weights (the kind you find in a gym) to the back of my Kubota BX2370.

I've got about 300lbs of free weights I'd like to suspend between the lower arms of my 3pt hitch. My thought is to put them on a 24" stainless steel bar (3/4" in diameter). My challenge at this point is how to secure the bar to the 3pt so that it can quickly/easily be attached or removed. I'm thinking of using the little spring clamps that gyms use to secure weight but wasn't sure if that would be enough. I also was worried about the weight swinging around. Any advice on the above, my questions or suggestions that are better? The weights are already on hand (and even painted Kubota orange in anticipation of adding them to my tractor. I'm also pretty price sensitive so price matters.

Thanks!
Rich

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
Do not place them vertically, they will slide side to side. Build a weight box or a vertical post and put the plates on horizontally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You could pick up a quick hitch at Harbor Freight and then weld a bracket on the back to attach the weights. Vertical or horizontal wouldn't make any difference because your lift arms can be adjusted by turnbuckles or whatever method your tractor has. Then you can add or remove the weights easily.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Three foot steel bar, one inch diameter, with two holes drilled in it. The bar is now full, about 425 pounds.

Bruce

Attachments

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
BCP,

That's exactly what I'm looking to do, except without the implement. I'd like to hang them directly on the lower part of the 3pt hitch. Since it's a BX2370, the 3pt hitch holes are 7/8 inch so I'll have to put a 3/4 inch bar across them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use the spring clamps on the insides to keep the plates for shifting around.

Drill 2 sets of holes on the ends, one set on the inside of the three point arm and the other on the outside.
On the inside holes use a hair pin and on the outside use a lynch pin, this will keep it in place and cut down on movement.
Also if you can find some rubber belting or a scrap rubber tube, put some pieces in between each of the plates to keep the rattle down. :D