Thoughts on This Rock Bucket?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
https://www.palletforks.com/60-rock-bucket-skeleton-loader-w-teeth-skid-steer-bobcat.html

We have sandy vegetation free soil that is loaded with rocks. I am wondering if someone on this site has used something like this and would share their experience?

I am thinking I could buy this or, maybe, fabricate something along the same lines that could bolt on my current bucket where the cutting edge is?
I have a rock bucket that has 3 inches tine spacing and I wish it was smaller. This one has 4 inch time spacing. Is that going to meet your needs?

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I have a rock bucket that has 3 inches tine spacing and I wish it was smaller. This one has 4 inch time spacing. Is that going to meet your needs?
That is a great question that I don't have an answer for. I suppose if I bought that one I could fab up an insert that would split the difference and make it a 2" spacing?

How well does your rock bucket work? What technique do you use with it?

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Are you wanting to utilize this bucket on your L4701? If so the weight of this bucket alone is 602 lbs. pretty heavy. Your FEL is rated for 1684 so your lifting capacity for rocks is about 1,000 lbs if that matters to you I am uncertain. I just looked up the data that I would want to know as my information to you. Looks like a heck of bucket though. Here is another link, half the weight made in America, little cheaper.

http://www.tomahawkattachments.com/...MI6p7Xh6TK2gIVlIxpCh04swH1EAQYBCABEgK9GfD_BwE

Last edited:

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Thanks for the input and links KennysNewFarm and BCP. They are both helpful.

I agree the weight would likely make a difference and the Tomahawk is less expensive. Titan has free shipping so that may equal out with the price of the Tomahawk + shipping.

I sent an email to the Versa Rake folks to find out the cost and shipping of that unit as they do not include that information on their web site. (That is a huge pet peeve of mine...makes me feel like there is a used car salesman in my near future.)

I definitely plan to do some more research then purchase something along the lines of these three attachments.

This one has free shipping and weighs 300 lbs: https://expresssteelinc.com/product/66-rock-bucket/

Last edited:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
This one has free shipping and weighs 300 lbs: https://expresssteelinc.com/product/66-rock-bucket/
Thats interesting. It's a tomahawk bucket (see far right in pics or rock bucket with grapple pics) with free shipping but they charge $230 more. So if the shipping is cheaper direct with tomahawk, that looks like the better way to go.

If you have a Ritchie Bros auctions near by, they usually have various rock buckets at most auctions. You can search past auctions to see what they've sold for in the past. If you're worried about warranty, there is none. It's all steel eventually something is going to get beat up, weld it up and carry on. Now if you were looking at a tiller with gear boxes and bearings, a warranty would be important.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
That looks like a nice rock bucket but I wonder how it attaches and to what?

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
O P

In your last thread, I mentioned a rock bucket but YOU stated you wanted to remove rocks to a depth of 6". Rock buckets are designed for surface rocks,

Tomakawk buckets offers a model lighter than the titan, more suited to your capacity. These collect rocks BUT may not provide results you seek. They also require practice and patience. It is slow going. The design is suited more for AG application as opposed to landscape scenario.

Tomahawk -$- very reasonable and $$ listed on their site!!!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only real good option for removing rock from soil is a screen (grizzly) or a rock picker.
Rock buckets on tractors don't work very well, they tend to get too heavy too quick.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
O P

In your last thread, I mentioned a rock bucket but YOU stated you wanted to remove rocks to a depth of 6". Rock buckets are designed for surface rocks,

Tomakawk buckets offers a model lighter than the titan, more suited to your capacity. These collect rocks BUT may not provide results you seek. They also require practice and patience. It is slow going. The design is suited more for AG application as opposed to landscape scenario.

Yesterday I hooked up my grading scrapper. I fully extended the chisels and tipped it al the way forward so essentially it was chisels with no leveling. This did a great job bringing the rocks to the surface. I think the rock bucket would be able to pick up the rocks that are now on the surface. I can use a landscape rake to drag off the smaller rocks. If I did this several time is would end up with a fairly rock free top six inches which is my goal.

I agree that Tomahawk has the best deal. Only negative is they make you enter all of your information including credit card before they will show shipping charges.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
The only real good option for removing rock from soil is a screen (grizzly) or a rock picker.
Rock buckets on tractors don't work very well, they tend to get too heavy too quick.
Neither are reasonably available to me. I will have to make multiple trips the the l4701. Oh wel, guess that means more tractor time!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If this is impeding your purchase, "I agree that Tomahawk has the best deal. Only negative is they make you enter all of your information including credit card before they will show shipping charges." just give them a phone call and get the price...then if your satisfied buy it!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Welcome to the lands of no people, so you pay more for shipping. ;)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I bought a rock bucket from acmeoutfitter.com for my BX1860. It is very well made and it is a lot lighter than others out there. However, as NIW has observed, rock buckets on a tractor don't work very well.

I use mine more for turning up soil in my wife's garden more than picking up rocks. It works well for that purpose but that is not what I bought it for. I actually get better results using my box blade for turning up rocks in my yard.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
That is a great question that I don't have an answer for. I suppose if I bought that one I could fab up an insert that would split the difference and make it a 2" spacing?

How well does your rock bucket work? What technique do you use with it?
My rock bucket worked well. I disked the ground and there was dry soil and rocks so I was able to get into the dry soil/rocks and bring up the rocks but only rocks greater than ~3 inches stayed in the bucket. No special technique. It's just like using a loader bucket. I think the point the other posters are trying to make is that you really can't "dig" rocks with it. If you scarify the ground with the teeth on your box blade, you can pick up the resulting rocks with the rock bucket limited by the tine spacing.

Last edited:

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
O P

I get that these will only work on the surface. I have a grading scraper that I unbolted and removed the grading blades so basically it's a 6 foot five chisel ripper. It is bringing more rocks to the surface than I care to look at. I need the rock bucket to pick them up. I figure if I do this several times I will get nearly all the rocks removed to a 6" depth.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I agree that Tomahawk has the best deal. Only negative is they make you enter all of your information including credit card before they will show shipping charges.
So enter false information and a nearby public address. My favourite shipping quote ID is Spamme Senseless. His e-mail address is spammesenseless@sittingduck.net and he lives at a local public library. :D

Just get the first 4 digits of your credit card number right.