Back blade into a box blade without the teeth

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Greetings fellow Kubotians, Lee here, thinking about turning my back blade into a box blade with just the sides, no teeth, have about 5 inches of loose 1/2 inch gravel on driveway, so it is quite loose. Anyone have any suggestions, like about how far below the sides should the cutting edge be and anything else that would be helpful. Thanks Later

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
not sure what you are trying to do...but, if it's just grading/leveling and you're trying not to dig in, use the back side of the rear blade. It works great for smoothing out stone (works well on snow too).

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
I made wings for the back blade to make it a box blade. The wings are 1/8" plate, with angle iron on sides for skids. Skid bottom is the same level with blade bottom. I have pic's stored on this site in my album. The box bolts onto the backblade top and bottom of blade. 2" steel tube for a crossbar. It can convert from one implement to other easily. Unit works quite well on leveling.

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Greetings rdeist, yes if you could post pictures that would be great, I am not computer smart and this is about all I can do is look and post a note. Thanks the olekid

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
My box blade, and about every one I have seen, has the cutting edge 3/4-1" below the sides. I would start there. If you don't like it, you can always add to the bottom of your ends. Guess you could make them adjustable also, if you want to get fancy.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
the pictures are already in here... as mentioned they are in his album on this site.

to get to a persons album click their username to go to their User profile page. On the far right is a box that is a link to their album
But coach, we wanna see it with out hunting for it :p:p:p Thanks for the link :D

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
the pictures are already in here... as mentioned they are in his album on this site.

to get to a persons album click their username to go to their User profile page. On the far right is a box that is a link to their album

OH, I missed that, I thought or was thinking he meant something like
PhotoBucket (without a link) :D :confused: :eek:

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Greetings, Olekid here, thanks for all the info and pictures, after seeing Daren's back blade I'm starting to lean toward copying his design and making one like his, If you don't mind that is Daren?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Greetings, Olekid here, thanks for all the info and pictures, after seeing Daren's back blade I'm starting to lean toward copying his design and making one like his, If you don't mind that is Daren?
I don't mind. :D A couple things I would do differently though. Especially where the pins stick out for the three point hitch is one of them. Tightening the pins up was a bear. I would use heavy gauge angle iron instead of the tubing.

The other is sleeve using 1/4" thick 1x3 tubing where the rippers drop down through. Then all you have to do is drill a hole in the top of the tubing and leave it about an inch above for ease of access to the pins for ripper height adjustment. And stick 1/4" below to get a good weld on the bottom. Would pretty much make the ripper bar portion bullet proof

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey darin I got a question about your build in post 89, I think 3rd pic down,, wherever did you find a hood ornament like that :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hey darin I got a question about your build in post 89, I think 3rd pic down,, wherever did you find a hood ornament like that :rolleyes:
I answered in that thread also :p I got her online :cool::cool:

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks Daren, and I appreciate the update info for the improvements of your design, should you come up with any other improvements please let me know. Later