New to me L275 - starts/runs fine, but no dash lights

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I just picked up my 1st Kubota, a L275 w/ a FEL & 1400 hrs on the meter. It is sound mechanically AFAIK, starting up and running fine, but I noticed that I have no dash lights when I turn the key to the on position. I have not had a chance to look into it yet, but will this evening. I have the operator's manual as well as the part's manual, but not the service manual yet. The OP Man does have a wiring schematic on one page, so at least I have that.

The fuse box on the dash has a missing cover, so the fuses are exposed, but all appear intact. I don't know if they have anything to do with the dash lights. I do know that if I try to start the tractor w/o switching the ignition to the glow plug position, it won't start, but will if I activate the GP's, so they are working.

Other than checking wiring and connections, what should I look for when trying to diagnose this problem?

Thanks.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
If the cover is off the fuse box the first place I would look is dirty contacts where the fuses connect. Maybe even replace the fuses. You can test with a test light from one side to the other of the fuse contacts to be sure they're making contact. Great little tractor. Good luck Lance

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I'll check that 1st. Thanks for the response. I'll also have to either find or make a cover for that box.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you have a multimeter and are checking your bulbs, check your volts when the engine is running to see if the alternator or dynamo is charging.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
Well, after looking further into it, I'm not surprised that the dash lights don't work - the wiring is a mess. I'm not sure what all is affected, but the wiring to the glow plugs seems to be working. I checked the voltage at the battery both with the engine off and on, and the voltage reads 12.63V both ways, so I'm assuming the alternator wiring needs work. I'll perform the check in the shop manual next. I haven't traced the wiring to the oil pressure sensor yet. I'll have to find that sensor first.

I haven't got the dash apart far enough yet to get good access to the wiring there. I can see that one of the wires that connects to the left fuse is broken. It appears that I need to get the steering wheel off to get the dash panel out of the way, but I haven't succeeded in getting it off yet. It's stuck on the splines pretty well. PB Blaster has been sitting in those splines overnight. Hopefully that'll free it up.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Be sure to leave the nut on the steering shaft. It may be tapered fit and will probably let go in an instant. Don’t want you getting injured with the steering wheel in the face or falling off the tractor.

My L185 came off fairly easily after soaking in PB Blaster for a week or two.

You may have to resort to cutting the center hub to split it and replace the wheel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I finally got back around to the electrical issues on this tractor. I found that the dash light bulbs are missing altogether. I do have the parts manual and see that the bulbs for charging and oil pressure have different part numbers (32150-31740 & 34150-34620) although the sockets for both bulbs look identical. Does anyone know what type of bulbs these are? Are they not a standard small bulb that could be purchased at any parts place?

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I don’t remember the bulb number. I used all the same on my L275DT. I picked them up at NAPA auto parts.
James
That's exactly what I'm hoping to do. I just need to know what to ask for when I go to the counter. I'd get some dimensions for the bulb socket if I could get my caliper in there, but it's pretty tight behind the dash.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Napa may be able to cross reference the Kubota numbers to more commonly used numbers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk