Does this implement exist ?

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
A nice attachment for small tractors such as the BX, and anything with a FEL, would be a small tree shear. Granted, I wouldn't expect anything that could lop down 8" diameter trees, especially considering the hazards. Rather, something with shear that could handle perhaps up to 4". So often when clearing you have to get off and chainsaw your way thru these, then move them. How nice it would be to have a quick-attach shear ( needing 3rd function valve of course ) that could quickly cut them off at the base.

I know shears exist for larger vehicles, but what about the size I described? Anyone make such a thing?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
A nice attachment for small tractors such as the BX, and anything with a FEL, would be a small tree shear. Granted, I wouldn't expect anything that could lop down 8" diameter trees, especially considering the hazards. Rather, something with shear that could handle perhaps up to 4". So often when clearing you have to get off and chainsaw your way thru these, then move them. How nice it would be to have a quick-attach shear ( needing 3rd function valve of course ) that could quickly cut them off at the base.

I know shears exist for larger vehicles, but what about the size I described? Anyone make such a thing?
Google

"Tractor Tree Shear"

You will be amazed!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I see the one made in Galesburg on Cl from time to time for $800-900.

All I can think about when I see them is what happens when you hit too big of a tree? Looks like it would bust up your 4 wheeler and you!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd be pushing 4" diameter trees over with the loader and lifting them out by the roots. Much safer on a small machine then cutting them.

Google "tree shear accidents". You will see guys using the shears on skidsteers having their machines flipped over or trees falling backwards on their heads.

If you have a lot of small scrub get a root rake bucket with grapple. You will find it way more useful in the long run.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
I'd be pushing 4" diameter trees over with the loader and lifting them out by the roots. Much safer on a small machine then cutting them.

Google "tree shear accidents". You will see guys using the shears on skidsteers having their machines flipped over or trees falling backwards on their heads.

If you have a lot of small scrub get a root rake bucket with grapple. You will find it way more useful in the long run.
"up to" 4". I say that only because I wouldn't want it to struggle with the smaller stuff, which is mostly what I'd use it for. If something could easily lop down 2" brush, that would be enough for me and there wouldn't be any hazard.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
RWey56, I'd say go for it then. After a bit of a learning curve it will probably save a lot of time and effort.

If you're the creative type, look at the description in the Farm Show article. Would be pretty easy to fabricate one up and adapt to what ever you wanted to use it on whether a tractor, 4 wheeler or what.

If you come up with something be sure to report back how it works for you.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
RWey56, I'd say go for it then. After a bit of a learning curve it will probably save a lot of time and effort.

If you're the creative type, look at the description in the Farm Show article. Would be pretty easy to fabricate one up and adapt to what ever you wanted to use it on whether a tractor, 4 wheeler or what.

If you come up with something be sure to report back how it works for you.
I do have a 3rd function valve now, which would work great for this. The problem is building up the steel for the quick-attach. I have a good welder, and the means to cut ( hand held band saw ), but I have no means to cut out shapes or bend thicker material. I should probably get off my duff and contact a local laser shop I know of and get a feel for how much they charge. From their website, you just send them DFX drawings and they'll provide materials, service, and then you pick up the pieces or they ship them to you.

I could avoid bends, I guess, by just welding pieces into shape ... but having a good folding press would sure help motivate me to build some of this stuff.

Another difficulty for this sort of "do it yourself" would be heat treating the cutting edges. I guess it could be shot-peened instead, but I doubt there's any services near by that could do either one of those.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You've seen those old "buzz saw" blades for sale on CL?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/d/large-buzz-saw-blade/6610373314.html

Well, they aren't too expensive. I've thought about buying one and cutting it into quarters or maybe thirds. Build a simple frame to attach them to and then attach that to a quick attach plate, with the cutting edge out about 6'.

A cross between the disc cutters and something like this.

I think I could build something that would work for less than $200.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I think there is one tree cutter that uses a semicircular blade rotated slowly by a hydraulic cylinder.

Bruce

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Many different ways that aren't too difficult to get a cut. Again, it's building the quick attach plate that would take some time. I'm sure I could do it, but at times I'm beginning to worry that the tractor is like buying a small lathe and mill: you spend all your time using them to make enhancements for the lathe and mill and not really doing anything else with it.

Granted, I am using the tractor a lot, and while I like designing and building things, doing so can consume a lot of time that could be better spent just using the attachments I already have, and I have no shortage of yard projects for those.

Maybe it's better to save the DIY attachments for winter.