l175 not shifting

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
just bought my first tractor l175 , been sitting covered in a field for 5 yrs... 2 hrs with a winch to drag it out and load it on a trailer ... actually it was fun. so next day changed all fluids , filters and fuel.. bled fuel system and a new battery... had a running . operating tractor... alright... only problem I cant shift into reverse 1 or 2nd gear but drives great in 3 and 4 hi and low.. nest step pull covers to inspect shifter forks... anyone else have similar issues?? thanks

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Theres a great L175 restore/rebuild thread that ended without knowing if tractor was ever %100 finished.

In that thread, the guy has tons of pics of tractor split, reverse gear replacement and shifter fork replacement. As well as head repair.

My Ol L is in great shape, luckily I didnt have to get too deep into it.

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
got a chance to take shifter assembly off and was checking out the shifter rod that slide back and forth ... is the middle rod suppose to slide like the two outer rods? any suggestions on a good shop manual? thanks

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
stopped at local tractor shop to buy a manual and asked for a est. on replacing reverse gear , figured if it was a fair price id let them replace because of busy work schedule .. told them that I researched gear could be replace without splitting tractor and owner said not possible and gave me a best price scenario of min. $ 2000 to replace the gear ..... wow guess ill find the time...

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
reverse gear finally came in Friday and Saturday morning started early on install everything went fairly smooth but those two 12mm bolts and the small plate that holds shaft from walking.... now I still haven't received wsm that I order before the gear so hopefully someone here can help , in the gear shift cover there is 3 shift rods my middle rod ( 1 and 3 gear) rod will not slide like other rod pretty much stuck I think... is there a secret ?? I saw no set screws or roller pins holding in place.. when I disassemblied there was no ball bearing in housing just a spring , im thinking ball bearing is stuck....any ideas would help I don't want to crack housing .. tried a drift pin and mallet but didn't smack it to hard....no luck...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There should be a ball and spring in there. So if you need to get it apart it may require a bigger hammer. Some lube and working it in both directions it should free up

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
If you can get the roll pin out of the fork, perhaps you can roll shaft. That would push whatever is holding it to clear detent notch.

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
soaked with pb blaster and a round chisel to knock it loose.. sanded shaft with fine grit ,greased now spins easy ... I see it has 2 ball bearing horizontal but pic doesn't show if there should be one vertical between rod and small spring... item 12 and 13 ... two outside rod have them so I ll try one... thanks for the help

jet.van

Equipment
l175 loader /backhoe
Jul 28, 2015
pa
everything back together and working great .. now im addicted to the color orange ... now im looking at a l225 neighbor trying to give me for darn near scrap price.... thanks again to the pics and advice..

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Awesome you got it fixed up and moving. Great score for a working tractor.
If this next tractor is really that cheap, it may be money well spent.