ZD25 Deck wont lift

wade L.

Equipment
Zd25
Jul 25, 2015
Nashville
I bought a used zd25 and everything works fine but the deck lift. linkage looks fine, fluid clean and full, has extra reservoir installed but at the highest setting the blades are only 2" off the ground? when the deck is raised it only comes up about an inch, the neighbors zd21 raises all the way to the frame! any suggestions?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I bought a used zd25 and everything works fine but the deck lift. linkage looks fine, fluid clean and full, has extra reservoir installed but at the highest setting the blades are only 2" off the ground? when the deck is raised it only comes up about an inch, the neighbors zd21 raises all the way to the frame! any suggestions?
Hydralic system needs bleeding?

Your hydraulic filter is blocked?

I'm assuming it is hydraulic operated

wade L.

Equipment
Zd25
Jul 25, 2015
Nashville
I will check the filter but have also read about the bypass valve or possibly the cylinder seals? where are the bypass valves at, I can check the springs.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I will check the filter but have also read about the bypass valve or possibly the cylinder seals? where are the bypass valves at, I can check the springs.
did you read thru the above link? in there at least one reported same issue as yours.

wade L.

Equipment
Zd25
Jul 25, 2015
Nashville
?I did not see the one you are talking about, all I have seen have other symptoms with the system, mine runs and drives fine with no slipping or loss of power, just the deck lift

wade L.

Equipment
Zd25
Jul 25, 2015
Nashville
This zd25 had a tranny failure and it was replaced with a new zd28 transmission and large reservoir last year so I am assuming that there is not enough hours yet for a failure in it or the pre charge pump, or just hoping for lessor problem!

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
When the updates were done, did they change the back cover of the transmission, new charge pump, input shaft, and suction lines? There's a kit offered thru Kubota that includes all those listed, plus a magnetic drain plug, and both hydros, or you can get them without the hydros. There's a bypass relief valve in the bottom of the rear transmission cover, below the filter. You'll need a snap ring pliers to remove the circlip to pull out the plug, spring, and poppet. You will lose oil as this happens. Also, there's a relief in the valve for the deck lift. You'll have to pull the bottom cover off, its 4 6mm bolts. You'll find the spring with the cover, then the poppet is up in the valve.

wade L.

Equipment
Zd25
Jul 25, 2015
Nashville
I may have found the problem, seems the previous owner did some welding on the lift arm shaft and may not have got the spindles on the ends lined up correctly? I need to figure how to remove and inspect or, re fabricate the arms so the holes in the shaft are turned the correct number of degrees so the deck will come up.

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
I was talking with a long time kubota service manager about hydraulics on the the zd series mowers (mine has contaminated fluid) and he told me he has had many zd's come in with the complaint that the deck will not raise. This may help if your mower will go forward and reverse and the pto shaft engages as it should, in other words if all the hydraulics work the way they should and the only issue is the deck will not raise.

He said the majority of the time the issue is the pto drive shaft splined sliding shaft has not been greased so the slip joint binds up and causes the deck not to lift. Of course the solution is to take the pto shaft out and thoroughly grease the slip joint and make sure it is able to slide back and forth and then to keep the shaft greased using the zerk near where the 2 pto halves slide together.

Not saying this is your problem but according to the service manager this is why the majority of ZD decks will not raise. Good luck with your repair...

Joe

Last edited: