Condensation in instrument cluster

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
I have a BX25D I have condensation on the instrument cluster. Is anybody else having this problem and can it be fixed? Of course its out of warranty.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The direct approach is to take it all apart, which doen't appeal to me. I have a dehumidifier running in my basement, so next thought is well BX's are small, at least my dealer has one inside his showroom, maybe you could bring yours inside....:p:D, but actually maybe you could tent your tractor with a dehumidifier running under the plastic in your shed or barn until it dried up. After that the question is how the moisture got in there in the first place.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a BX25D I have condensation on the instrument cluster. Is anybody else having this problem and can it be fixed? Of course its out of warranty.

this came up in the forum a few weeks ago .....

if outside in the rain - the moisture will find its way in there. Just like my BBQ grill's temp gauge - NEVER seen one that water DOES not get into.

I suggested using a hair dryer to heat up the condensation and allow it to settle out. But I can see that being a cluster ___ ___ ___ ___ if done incorrectly.

I would work on finding out how it is getting in and solve that issue then figure out how to get it back out!:)

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Mine was soaked during delivery, then it froze. When spring came I parked it out in the warm sun every chance that I had. A hair dryer helped, but not for long. It took weeks, but eventually it did dry out. I keep it in a dry metal barn, so once I got it dry it has stayed dry. When I wash it I'm careful not to soak that area with the hose, and if I do see any condensation after washing it is always cleared up after sitting overnight, and it's no where near as bad as it was when I first got the machine. Patience and sunshine did the trick for me.

Jerry

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
Mine was soaked during delivery, then it froze. When spring came I parked it out in the warm sun every chance that I had. A hair dryer helped, but not for long. It took weeks, but eventually it did dry out. I keep it in a dry metal barn, so once I got it dry it has stayed dry. When I wash it I'm careful not to soak that area with the hose, and if I do see any condensation after washing it is always cleared up after sitting overnight, and it's no where near as bad as it was when I first got the machine. Patience and sunshine did the trick for me.

Jerry
Sunshine, like this guy said.

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
Update >>>> I talked to the owner of the dealer where I bought my BX25D and told him about the condensation. He said that it was a known problem and they would cover it under warranty. I called the dealership and we are making arrangements to replace it.

Brian P

Equipment
loader,belly mower, trailer mover, soil buster, rake
Sep 4, 2019
Madoc Ontario
Hi; Yes my BX (2017) has condensation in the instrument panel. I took it out from winter storage in May 2019. I called the dealer and was informed that they couldn't do anything for me as it was out of warranty. I didn't worry too much about it until Aug. 2019 when all of a sudden I had no instrument display running hours, fuel level etc. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I called the dealer and was informed that this is a common problem and he has had at least three recent customers call with the same complaint. He was of the opinion that Kubota should issue a recall for this problem. My only solution is to bring it into the shop (50 miles) and expect a costly repair.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The most effective way to remove moisture is using Silica Gel pacs.

A dehumidifier will only dry air down to the dew point of the air temp / Relative humidity level.

A desicant, the small pacs found in most electronic stuff, dries air to next to zero moisture.

Amazon sells them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silica+g...prefix=silica+gel,aps,178&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10

Home Depot sells them for people traveling in southern climates where clothes in suitcases end up smelling musty. Product name is Damp Rid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DampRid-42-oz-Fragrance-Free-Hanging-Bag-3-Pack-FG83FF/302991964

Make a bag out of Aluminum foil. It transmits zero moisture thru its structure unlike plastic zip lock bags. Enclose the display inside the bag with many gel pacs. They will draw the moisture out of the display but you need patience. Creating a couple of holes in the back of the display will help.

Likely far better method to dry out cel phones than the rice method.

Dave

Attachments

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Spot on Dave!

When my dad's panel fogged up i cleared it up Mcgiver style i.e. homemade and cheap. Took the panel off. Grabbed an old pillow case and a wire tie, a plastic container the panel will fit easily and a bag of COSTCO white rice. To speed things along I heated the rice on cookie sheets to get the max moisture out of it.

Put the panel in the bag and close it with the wire tie. Put all that in the plastic container along with copious amounts of rice. Seal it up and store in in a warm place for about a week.... depends on how much moisture is in the panel. Worked for us... and the old man bogarted the rice and ate it over time...:)