Back in business.....B7100 PTO gear

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
As you may recall in the other thread I broke a tooth on the PTO drive gear.

There is a part number change for this gear and a serial number break for the 7100 with no info on the 7001 which if what mine really is.

Old number- 66711-14530
New number- 66706-14530

To complicate matters further there is a part number change for the 5th shaft also. To greatly complicate matters, no one had any idea why or what the change was. The PTO gear on the PTO stub also has a new part number. The only good number, the only part I could order, was the new part number gear.

In the meantime I searched the entire country for a used gear. I called or emailed every tractor salvage yard in the country, I found only one and that call came today after I got the call from the local dealer that the new part was in. I did get an email from the UK from a man who had one for sale, he wanted 250 British Sterling which converts to $386.....LOL.

I was getting nervous. I've got way too much time and money invested in this tractor for it to become worthless.

The new part is much wider than the old. The reason is obvious, the old design did not allow the two gears to align, only about 2/3 of the PTO gear was riding the drive gear.

The old gear and the groove for the retaining ring.

New gear would require the groove to be relocated, the reason for the new shaft part number.
Instead of buying a new shaft or having the shaft cut for a new groove I decided to use a machine shim.

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN

I immediately realized I had a problem with the new gear clearing the bearing support/casting of the PTO shaft.

I tried to give the gear a little relief, didn't really help.

Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees....:rolleyes:
All I had to do was turn the gear around.......perfect alignment and no more clearance problems.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Is this broken PTO gear failure common on the B7100?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Excellent!! I am glad you got it fixed.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Is this broken PTO gear failure common on the B7100?
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/09/common-abbreviations-and-terms-explained/

Scroll to comments....see above.

I'm posting this for a couple of reasons-

Apparently so, I'm not the first to have this problem and if you google that part number you'll find others looking too.
The problem is ignorance of older models, every 'tech' and dealer I spoke too had no idea on how to solve this problem or if the new parts would fit. Nor do I think they cared, frankly.

My concern is that we are one breakage away from having to scrap an older tractor due to lack of manufactures support and the lack of available salvage.

I searched EVERY craigslist site within 1000 miles of me and I found one parts tractor and it sold this morning........I just went to the link and it was deleted by author.

This gear fits the 6100, 7100, and the 7200........that I know of, maybe another model or two.

To give you an example of dealer or 'tech' ignorance- I spoke to the owner of a dealership in KY who had one 6100 parts tractor in the field. I explained to him what I was looking for and he told me he'd have to get back to me in a couple of days, I asked why so long? He stated that he'd have to have one of his guys drag it in and 'split the tractor' to get to it and it would take time. I told him to just remove the rear cover and he'd have it out in three minutes......I never hear back from him.

What are you going to do after investing $5K into an older Kubota and you cant' find a $50 part???

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Glad to see you got things sorted out , its like most things mechanical, there is allways a solution one way or another.
I've not read any articles on the your problem , but , i would suspect that it is directly connected to the following.
The B7100 have a one way slip clutch on that shaft, but the 7001 does not an this also applies to other similar variants also.
As mentioned before, on the 7100's etc the slip clutch prevents damage to the pto output shaft and aux shafts connected to it etc, so, in the even of a problem with any pto implement the shaft will simply be disangeged, on 7001 etc it wont and any extrnal forces in the opposite direction will likely cause problems and gear damage, unless of corse you have an external slip device fitted.
i have added a pics of the offending parts just in case someone doesnt have the diagram.
split a 7001 box and then split a 7100 and you'll see the differences.

rob

Attachments

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
I sure admire your tenacity and perseverance in this. I don't own a 7100 but I do know the 7100's are great tractors and worth getting and keeping in good condition.

Ben

jeffickes2001

Equipment
B7100, Rear tiller, Front dozer blade
May 8, 2013
Salem, Ohio USA
Does anyone have the seal p/n? My shaft and gears are fine but I have a seal problem. I am leaking fluid like nobody's business. Tractor Serial # 52879. Also the p/n for the bearing. Thanks

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does anyone have the seal p/n? My shaft and gears are fine but I have a seal problem. I am leaking fluid like nobody's business. Tractor Serial # 52879. Also the p/n for the bearing. Thanks
Here should be what you need.

PTO1.JPG

PTO2.jpg

pmwoody

Equipment
B7001
Oct 28, 2012
Gangelt, Germany
Dear all,

I have exactly the same issue with a broken tooth of the 17 tooth gear.
The good news: You can buy all of these gears still without any problem at http://www.yenibiz.com/

I ordered the both gears now directly at Tractorland Schenkel, a german Kubota dealer. No problems with any availability so far. I will keep you informed....

In case we will run out of gear parts for our nice little orange tractors, we can send the broken ones to "Chemnitzer Zahnradfabrik" in Germany - they can produce such gears on demand in case they have a sample.

For mechanical problems there is always a solution....

INFORMATION:
I just received a phone call from my dealer - the gears for the older B7001 (are not available anymore. The gears for newer models of the B7100 will fit - but need to be turned off a little bit to fit. I will receive the new gears within the next 2 days and will make pictures incl. part numbers etc. from the repair.

Best reg,
Woody

Last edited:

pmwoody

Equipment
B7001
Oct 28, 2012
Gangelt, Germany
Dear all,

I'm back in business again ;-)

Since Kubota Germany did not say how long the delivery of the gears will take - I searched for a quick alternative.....

I went to Liege (only 50km from my company....) - to yenibiz. Nice and helpful people....

The gear wheels are new. One was an original - one was produced at a gear wheel manufacturer. The quality was ok - but the finish of the thooth is not optimal. Now - its better than nothing - so I took them.
Together will new shims, seal and bearings, the PTO is running fine without any noise, just like new ;-)

In the meantime, I received also the gear wheels from Kubota. They are 20mm instead of 17mm - but they need some adjustments like described here. I will send them back since I already fixed the problem.....

Best reg,
Woody

MMudd

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jun 3, 2014
Cnetral MO
seal needed

I bet you could find that seal at a bearing supply place. Hopefully you could get it out without destroying it. If not , get exact measurements of shaft size and flange size, they will match it up. Very few seals they cannot get. I am in process of new clutch on B7100, and after talking to dealer, they don't seem too enthused or knowlegable about keeping these older tractors going. Never could get thru toa mechanic. I'm sure they would be more helpful, but can't get em easy.

pmwoody

Equipment
B7001
Oct 28, 2012
Gangelt, Germany
Re: seal needed

Hi MMudd,

the seal from the PTO is no problem.
BTW: I changed nearly every seal on my B7001 in the last 2 years - I never had any problem to get them at Kubota.

Clutch -> at least here in the Netherlands and Belgium all parts are available via yenibiz.com or www.tracparts.nl.

Best reg.
Woody

Additional information:
Today I received the invoice from Kubota for the 2 PTO Gears (66706-14530 and 66706-14790) - in total 105 EUR incl. tax and shipping. I will keep them. In case someone does not get access to these gears - send me a PM....

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I don't know if he reversed it or not, does look like he had to modify the casting bit to make it work.

It may be pretty expensive (probably on the order of $200) but any competent machine shop can make one of these. There are even on-line machine shops that will work from CAD drawings to create one.

Don't toss a perfectly running tractor just for a gear. It's not the cheapest way to go but it's cheaper than buying a new tractor! :D

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
Trust me, it isn't over! I am not tossing this little beast. It has a rebuilt motor (just a few hours on it after I bought it) and brand new tires all around replaced two weeks ago.

I am a small produce farmer and most all my operation is set up around this tractor. Even if I have to put it back together with the old gear, I can still use the tractor and the 3 point for plowing and disking and etc.

Just need some help finding this part.

Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Trust me, it isn't over! I am not tossing this little beast. It has a rebuilt motor (just a few hours on it after I bought it) and brand new tires all around replaced two weeks ago.

I am a small produce farmer and most all my operation is set up around this tractor. Even if I have to put it back together with the old gear, I can still use the tractor and the 3 point for plowing and disking and etc.

Just need some help finding this part.

Jay
Jay,
I think you are getting confused by previous posts, the gears for the B7100 PTO are easy to get it's the B7001 that are hard to find. ;)