L3830 cuts out

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
Tractor cuts out whether moving or parked, stop solenoid & relay clicking can be heard & eventually will start back up. cleaned battery connections & ground, cleaned 2 grounds on left side of tractor, replaced seat sw, tested & swapped around glow & stop relays, swapped stop solenoid, still have issue. Are there any other grounds to check & any other safety switches that can cause my problem ?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
You didn't say if it was an HST model. The HST pedal switches are notorious for causing starting problems (chattering start relay -no turnover) but, it sounds like yours may start OK. The HST pedal switch overrides the seat switch if the HST pedal is in the STOP (mid) position and allows engine operation without weight on the seat. Once in either FWD or REV range, the seat switch is in the circuit and will close your fuel solenoid. Are you sure your seat switch arm is making good contact with your seat? The switch may work but it may not actually show weight on the seat.

The fuel solenoid is what is shutting off fuel to your engine. The seat switch (through HST pedal if you have one) controls it as does the start switch. Does the machine sit out a lot (moisture)? Check your START-RUN switch...

Good luck and let us know what you find. Someone else will show up with good ideas...
Ray

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
It's a GST. by start / run sw you mean the key/ignition sw right? I've tested the stop relay & solenoid according to the WSM & the 12v is there by the time I'm set up to check. I have 2 different wiring diagrams & neither seems accurate when trying to check continuity.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll PM you a link for the WSM for your tractor, it should have the correct wiring diagram for your model and all the ground connection points as well as a trouble shooting guide.

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
L3830 GST, Label reads: 3830D sn# 32564
If anyone can direct me to the correct wiring diagram / schematic I'd appreciate it. when I try to check continuity from the stop solenoid back to the stop relay the diagrams I have don't seem to match. I'm thinking about a toggle sw to send 12v to the stop solenoid. anyone have experience with that ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The wiring schematic is on Page 467.
Your tractor has a 2 coil stop solenoid, one coil pulls in the solenoid and the other coil holds it.
So one wire will have a signal to pull in the coil, (same as starter solenoid signal) and the other wire will have a hot signal anytime the key is on.
check it with a meter and report back what you find.

About 50% of the time a tractor randomly cutting out is a result of a bad solenoid, so follow the WSM and check the resistance on the solenoid coils to determine if they are bad.

DO NOT start randomly putting power or switches to add power in the circuits, you have a rather expensive computer in that tractor and powering things that do not need, or want power, or back feeding power could lead to a catastrophic results and damage to the computer!

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
Solenoid has been swapped & problem remains. there are 2 wires to the solenoid: blk/blu & blk/red. blk/blu traces back the stop relay but I can't trace continuity from blk/red. I will double check with key in all positions & post results but I'll be gone for a few days

PBjr

Equipment
L3830
May 16, 2015
WOLCOTT
after determining the correct wiring diagram the problem turned out to be the OPC timer. I pulled it and tested it on the bench and watched as the 12v to the stop relay would drop out and then kick back in randomly. this caused the tractor to cut out randomly followed by clicking & clacking of the relay & solenoid then eventually able to start back up normally. L3830GST

peejay

Equipment
L3200 plus 5 foot slasher
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You didn't say if it was an HST model. The HST pedal switches are notorious for causing starting problems (chattering start relay -no turnover) but, it sounds like yours may start OK. The HST pedal switch overrides the seat switch if the HST pedal is in the STOP (mid) position and allows engine operation without weight on the seat. Once in either FWD or REV range, the seat switch is in the circuit and will close your fuel solenoid. Are you sure your seat switch arm is making good contact with your seat? The switch may work but it may not actually show weight on the seat.

The fuel solenoid is what is shutting off fuel to your engine. The seat switch (through HST pedal if you have one) controls it as does the start switch. Does the machine sit out a lot (moisture)? Check your START-RUN switch...

Good luck and let us know what you find. Someone else will show up with good ideas...
Ray
This post is a little old but it gave me the clue to solve my issue. Seat cutout was operating even when the PTO was off, and brake on (not sure if this has a switch on it but I'm not getting off the tractor without a brake on...), and sometimes when I attempted to start it all I got was a chatter noise. Turned out the HST pedal switch was the issue. Adjusted it and all good.
Thanks Ray!