L2900 DT-GST Alt light on

cmoo

Equipment
L2900 DT-GST
Jul 21, 2015
Sumter, SC USA
All the sudden the Alt light stayed on last time I cranked the tractor. Battery @12.3V, Alt giving various intermittent readings (connected & disconnected and at various RPMs) so thinking of ordering an alternator off Ebay. Anybody with one of this tractors that may have had same issues please reply.

History:
Bought used L2900 in 2010 & then I had to pull fuel stop to shut off engine, indicator lights & fuel gauge wasn't working. Replaced a missing fuse, put new battery in and everything worked. Electronic fuel shutoff worked as well when turning the key off after that. Guess that one fuse (that's still good) runs all that stuff.
Fast forward to now and this alt light. Oh, I noticed last winter the glow plug indicator on dash panel didn't seem to want to work even though it was below freezing. And now the instrument lights work intermittently when starting now.

-The 4-way flashers stopped working. Haven't started troubleshooting the flasher problem yet cause I don't need them to mow, but would like to know where that flasher relay is???

-Can't seem to locate any info on the relay looking modules behind the instrument panel.
-Was going to attachment a pic of alternator, but can't figure out how to do that???

Bought Ebay alternator for < $75 & that was the charging problem. Took the instrument panel off & cleaned it up then on to the 4-way flashers & corrected a ground problem to get them wiorking. Was feeling pretty good mowing til I lost the power steering after an hour. I'll seek help on another thread on that one.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
With that many electrical problem it makes me want to think it's dirty connections. Is the tractor stored outside?

cmoo

Equipment
L2900 DT-GST
Jul 21, 2015
Sumter, SC USA
Has a canopy, not a cab, but yes stored outside. This came on suddenly; two weeks ago I mowed the field for 2 hours and had no problem???

I know I listed several issues, do you have any advice/input on any of them.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have found that it only takes a spec of dirt or water inside a plug in for it not to work. My fuel stop on my M9000 quit and the plug had a little tiny piece of trash that made it stop. When I say tiny I mean so small that I barely could even see it. Cleaned it out and everything has been fine since.
My point is It may pay you to start unplugging things and making sure they are clean and dry.

If you have the glow plugs that come on by themselves I would say the glow plug controller has quit. Several have posted in the past about that so it seems to be a common problem.

I would have the alternator checked before I bought one. You may even find one at your local auto parts store. My M9000 has one made by Mitsubishi and appears just like what the store sells. Be worth looking into if for no other reason than you'll have a local warranty if it dies again.

I fully agree with RCW, a work shop manual would be a wise and useful tool to have.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I did look at kubotabooks.com, and see a L2900 listed for WSM. :D

Found the parts manual listed there, too. :cool:

Might help with relays, alternator. Like Bulldog said, if need be, might get an alternator at auto store, and parts manual might help with cross-reference. He also had good advice about getting it checked first.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
RCW, Unless I'm missing something (Wouldn't be the first time that's happened :rolleyes: ), Kubotabooks only has the OPS and parts manual and not the WSM.
I'll send you a PM for a link for a download of the WSM for your tractor. ;)

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, Unless I'm missing something (Wouldn't be the first time that's happened :rolleyes: ), Kubotabooks only has the OPS and parts manual and not the WSM.
I'll send you a PM for a link for a download of the WSM for your tractor. ;)
Wolfman, cmoo - my apologies.

kubotabooks had WSM for my BX2360, and I saw L2900 listed. Didn't open and check it first. I didn't read well either - index says owner's manual.... Sorry for the bad info. :eek:

Thanks for the catch, Wolfman, and sending cmoo the correct info!:cool: